André Gomes

Albo

Arda was booed, and now Gomes has been booed a few times. All it shows is that the Catalans know when a player is not good enough for their club. Nightmare for his apologists of course but good to know the Camp Nou still have basic standards.

There is a difference in booing Arda and booing Gomes.

Booing Arda makes sense since he didn't give a shit and was lazy in general. Booing Gomes is just simply stupid, he tries and tries but it's not just working for him. You don't cut those mistakes from his play by booing him, you are probably even making it worse. Barca players reacted pretty angrily to Gomes getting booed as should any other Barca fan too. The day Gomes stops trying is the day I'll boo him too.

ASordidGod

Shouldn't ever boo your own players I don't think. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Gomes here, he's not good enough; but if he plays then that's on Valverde. And he doesn't seem to have a great deal of confidence in any case, can't image booing him is going to help.

R

reaper

Shouldn't ever boo your own players I don't think. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Gomes here, he's not good enough; but if he plays then that's on Valverde. And he doesn't seem to have a great deal of confidence in any case, can't image booing him is going to help.

We are all agreed - 90% on here. that he should not be at the club. Sadly, players these days are making it harder and harder for a club to remove them when it turns out they were a mistake. Therefore any boos against Arda, Gomes etc can only help the process move along and avoid another season in the wrong club. A new club for Gomes would be good for both parties. Sadly Arda showed how weak Barcelona is in removing dead wood. It is important the millionaire Gomes realises he is not wanted. He has already reached his ceiling at Barcelona and he is not good enough. We thank him and good bye. The boos are important to hurry him on his way and help him decide against giving it another season. The Catalans in the stands are right - once again.

BBZ8800

We are all agreed - 90% on here. that he should not be at the club. Sadly, players these days are making it harder and harder for a club to remove them when it turns out they were a mistake. Therefore any boos against Arda, Gomes etc can only help the process move along and avoid another season in the wrong club. A new club for Gomes would be good for both parties. Sadly Arda showed how weak Barcelona is in removing dead wood. It is important the millionaire Gomes realises he is not wanted. He has already reached his ceiling at Barcelona and he is not good enough. We thank him and good bye. The boos are important to hurry him on his way and help him decide against giving it another season. The Catalans in the stands are right - once again.

Just a question.
Gomes and Semedo are both born in 1993.
WHY is Gomes DONE and has reached his ceiling already, while "a kid" (lol) Semedo: is young, he needs to improve, he needs time etc?

Also, last season Neymar was 25 years old while he was here.
People used to reply all the time: he is our future, he is young, he will improve.

So, some players are DEAD aged 24, while others have years of learning, improving and developing infront of them?

What is worse, attackers like Neymar or fullbacks like Semedo rely more on pace and physical skills and a prime of those players is usually earlier than a prime of midfielders, who don't rely on pace that much, but more on technical skills and more important (later in their career) they rely on a huge experience and a reading of a game.

For example, Mina is only 1 year younger than Gomes.
And Samper is a year and a half younger than Gomes.

Does that mean that in 12 Months, we are allowed to say: Mina has reached his ceiling, what you see is what you get.
The same about Samper=what he learns in the next 18 Months, that's it? After the age 24-25, it is all downhill?

R

reaper

Just a question.
WHY is Gomes DONE and has reached his ceiling already, while "a kid" (lol) Semedo: is young, he needs to improve, he needs time etc?

People used to reply all the time: he is our future, he is young, he will improve.

So, some players are DEAD aged 24, while others have years of learning, improving and developing infront of them?

What is worse, attackers like Neymar or fullbacks like Semedo rely more on pace and physical skills and a prime of those players is usually earlier than a prime of midfielders, who don't rely on pace that much, but more on technical skills and more important (later in their career) they rely on a huge experience and a reading of a game.

Does that mean that in 12 Months, we are allowed to say: Mina has reached his ceiling, what you see is what you get.
The same about Samper=what he learns in the next 18 Months, that's it? After the age 24-25, it is all downhill?

I think the problem is like communists believe all humans must live and thrive in an identical system that benefits everyone equally - you believe all players have the same talent at the same age headed for the same outcome.

Neymar - from his worst games to his best showed he has raw ability. He showed he can win a game on his own at times. that is what was expected of him. Gomes.. well now Gomes has looked below average most the time - with his best moments lifting him to the average category. Therefore ideologue apologies for him based on his age compared to other players are null and void. Not all players develop equally and not all players have the same levels of natural ability, speed and quality on the ball. We have seen around 3600 minutes of Gomes at Barcelona. We know the type of player he is by now.

The Catalans were correct to boo him. I hope - like all the Catalans who booed him and Arda - that he finds a new club soon and is hugely successful there. He is just not Balrcelona quality - never was.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Fans have every right to express their opinion. Players are here for the fans and their entertainment and not other way around and if they are not happy they are entitled to boo, cheer or sing.

There is something disgusting in modern millionaire "athletes" and their sense of entitlement when they are stacking their feelings against an average Joe who is sweating 8-16 and many of them actually supporting the club financially too via tickets, shirts, membership.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

Arda is at the end of his career and he didn't really care if he plays or not, I am pretty sure Gomes won't stay even if he asked to because he don't want play once or twice a month. Also Valverde already got rid of Arda, Deulofeu, Rafinha and banished Denis, so he knows what players are not good enough and are slowly moving away from them, but he can't sell/banish all of them at the same time because he won't have any players left on the bench. And now we are in situation where we might need to rely on Gomes to play against Chelsea because alternatives (Paulinho/Vidal) aren't exactly perfect. So booing a player doesn't really help the team, then you actually might need to rely on that player in one of the toughest matches of the season.

BBZ8800

I think the problem is like communists believe all humans must live and thrive in an identical system that benefits everyone equally - you believe all players have the same talent at the same age headed for the same outcome.

Neymar - from his worst games to his best showed he has raw ability. He showed he can win a game on his own at times. that is what was expected of him. Gomes.. well now Gomes has looked below average most the time - with his best moments lifting him to the average category. Therefore ideologue apologies for him based on his age compared to other players are null and void. Not all players develop equally and not all players have the same levels of natural ability, speed and quality on the ball. We have seen around 3600 minutes of Gomes at Barcelona. We know the type of player he is by now.

The Catalans were correct to boo him. I hope - like all the Catalans who booed him and Arda - that he finds a new club soon and is hugely successful there. He is just not Balrcelona quality - never was.

Ok, I get you now.
It is not about the AGE, but about "potential", we are moving into a subjective opinion now.
Also, when we say "potential", people usually mean about technical skills.

But one more thing which is bothering me for some time regarding posts from a lot of topics where people say: we should sell Denis, Rafinha, Paulinho, Gomes. (And some would sell even Rakitic).
Are you guys looking at a situation from an objective way (or from EV's eyes) or are you looking at the situation from your own eyes?

I am trying to say: till now we have learned that EV is a somewhat defensive coach.
In previous clubs and at Barca also.
At Barca we have learned that he likes 442 more than 433 and that he likes to play with 1-2 or even 3 workhorses in midfield.

Now, if EV will win La Liga and CDR (which is 90% sure), he will surely stay.
That means that he will probably continue with his idea, or, at best, he will turn into a SLIGHTLY more attacking coach, due to having Cotuinho and Dembele.
But, imo, there is NOT a chance that he will suddenly turn from a defensive coach into a coach who will play Messi-Dembele-Suarez, Coutinho-Alena behind them.

I guess that people who are saying: sell both Paulinho and Gomes are expecting that we will go back to a 433.
But not ONLY to a 433, but also to a 433 with Pep's type of players like Coutinho-Alena/Arthur.

I mean, ok, there is always a chance for that.
But it is more realistic to expect the same EV, or only slightly more attacking.

Imagine next season's CL knockout rounds and we play against Atletico.
And we have sold Paulinho and Gomes.
How do you think that EV will play against them?
With Messi-Dembele-Suarez, Coutinho-Rakitic-Busquets, lol?
He is not Pep, lol.
And this is not 2009 anymore.
Our 3 attackers don't defend, Coutinho is weak in defense and Raki+Busi are 30+ and slow.
This lineup sounds promising...

Or even worse, if we'll have only Rakitic from workhorses, what if he gets injured?
Who will play then since our only midfielders will be:
Coutinho, light and short
Iniesta, light and short
Alena, lighter
Arthur, short and who knows when he will come and how will he play
Busquets

So, what, if Raki gets injured, do you think that EV will play: Messi-Dembele-Suarez, Coutinho-Alena?

Look, if we would hire Pep this summer, I would agree with you, and I would say: feel free to sell Gomes and Paulinho, since they weren't good enough, plus they won't fit into Pep's style.
But we aren't hiring Pep.
We will have EV.
And he likes workhorses, at least 2 of them in a lineup.

So, my point is: since EV is a coach and he will STAY here, it would be quite dumb (for EV's ideas and for his style of football) to sell both Gomes and Paulinho.
And currently it seems that Gomes is a slight better on a ball than Paulinho, right?
So, if you sell Gomes, that means that we will have only Rakitic-Paulinho as workhorses.
And that means that Paulinho will play almost every match, as a starter or as a sub.
And if Raki gets injured, Paulinho will play ALL THE TIME.
Do you guys want that?

My point: I don't believe that we will sell Gomes.
That type of a player is quite important in EV's plans.

Just a question.

Gomes has gotten his chances, time and time again, and shown that he doesn't have it.

Semedo has gotten nowhere near as many chances but in the time he has played, he has shown far more than Gomes ever has.

JamDav1982

Gomes has gotten his chances, time and time again, and shown that he doesn't have it.

Semedo has gotten nowhere near as many chances but in the time he has played, he has shown far more than Gomes ever has.

You are making things up again.

Semedo has played almost twice as many minutes as Gomes this season.

ASordidGod

Nah, disagree. No matter what we think and say in private, in public you should always be loyal. Reflects badly on the club otherwise. And plus, once you start and feel yourselves justified, where does it end? Like Real fans booing genuine legends like Casillas? It's tempting to show frustration, sure, but booing your own players is not being a fan; it's certainly not justified in Gomes' case whose only crime is not being good enough.

cro-man

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">️ | Gomes letting all his anger out. <a href="https://t.co/07PcpHCVQi">pic.twitter.com/07PcpHCVQi</a></p>— Barca Centre Media (@centrevid) <a href="https://twitter.com/centrevid/status/972181817821249536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">9. März 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Home of Barca Fans