André Gomes

kilian

@BBZ

I`m sorry, but your view of football is just weird to me. You really love to exaggerate and oversimplify things. We didn`t lose balance because Gomes was subbed of for Coutinho. Coutinho tipped the game in our favour and it is a biq question would we even score yesterday if it weren`t for that sub. We were dominating like we were dominating Bayern in that 7-0 aggregate in CL. Big percentage of possession, but toothless in attack. They had chances and should`ve scored, but we were lucky that the ball hit the crossbar.

After our goal, Valencia went all out and of course we will lose some possession. It`s not only Barca on the field, opponent has some say too. The point where we lost balance, IMO, was when Iniesta lost energy and Valverde subbed in clueless Paulinho. But, it was a good sub to finally rest Iniesta a bit.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
The Gomes "balance" theory is a myth. The guy is equally poor and ineffective both in attack and in defensive plays. It's insulting, but we are almost playing with 10 men, some of our players out there struggle hard when the Portuguese is around, especially the wingbacks. Meanwhile Andre Gomes brings balance... just because we haven't lost a game this season Gomes has featured doesn't mean he is the reason for this achievement.

Valverde has patience with the guy, I admire that and we will see Gomes in play soon. The rotation demands it.

Agreed. BBZ "equilibrium" theory makes sense but not with Gomes in the equation. Don't know why some people attribute to him defensive skills when he has little. Maybe because he is slow so he holds his position? Or because he makes fouls? Or is it safe passes?

He is neither fast to cover ground positionally, not good in air and doesn't have much of ball winning qualities.

Vilified Aleix is faster - covers ground both up and down and actually adds something up-front while he also presses a lot.

Gomes has had plenty of chances in these 2 years and he just isn't good enough.

Joan

Vilified Aleix is faster - covers ground both up and down and actually adds something up-front while he also presses a lot.

Gomes has had plenty of chances in these 2 years and he just isn't good enough.

Agreed. Would also pick Vidal over him anytime.

Zincubus

Banned
And you are the guy who sought an apology from the coach, constantly, because he didn't start one of your pretty boy obsessions in his natural position!

My post was correct we as Barca fans shouldn't be so hard on young players who actually put in 100% effort .

He's also clear that he's not gonna be given the playing time he needs to rebuild his shattered confidence.

Also just because you find certain players attractive don't assume we all do - my preference is strictly ladies ..,

Stoichkov1

Look I understand what you're saying but if you're looking for a physical presence or a ball-winner in the midfield Gomes certainly doesn't fit that profile. He has good physical attributes but rarely have I ever seen him showcase them. Workhorses are expected to provide some control and defensive structure to the team while their techincal ability going forward isn't as important, but Gomes can do neither of these jobs which renders him useless on the pitch.

I too am not an advocate of playing Coutinho-Iniesta-Messi-Suarez-Dembele on the pitch at the same time as it would compromise our defensive shape and would lessen our control in the midfield, but relying entirely on Messi is not a good thing either. You mention how Messi alone is worth 3 players in attack and I would tend to agree, but being overly dependent on him is what has gotten us knocked out of the CL the last few seasons. Yes our defense has not helped either, but other than that fluke 6-1 we couldn't put any goals past Juve in 16-17 and were only able to score 2 goals against Atleti in 15-16. So what happens when you get so dependent on Messi is that if good teams find a way to shut him down or he's off form we'll struggle massively to score and that's why it's so important to have a few other creators on the field.

If we face a team like City or PSG in the CL they'll take Messi out of the game by putting 3 men on him and as good as our defense is they'll still find a way to put a couple goals past us considering they are two of the best attacking sides in the world. So Messi is suffocated in the midfield and we're playing elite opposition that can score, then what? We can't rely on a midfield of Iniesta-Busi-Paulinho-Rakitic so spark much offense. We'll be static and most likely lose or draw the match.

This idea of relying on Messi and Iniesta alone to generate all our attacks and defend with workhorses in midfield only works if we score first. That way the opposition opens up and we get more spaces to play off. We cannot chase a match with the midfield you desire and to win the CL you'll have to comeback from down in the tie many times. Notice when we've conceded first our record isn't all that great?

Celta in the league scored on us first, it ended 2-2
Espanyol in the Copa scored on us first, they won 1-0
Espanyol in the league scored on us first, it ended 1-1
Valencia in the league scored on us first, it ended 1-1
Atleti in the league scored on us first, it ended 1-1
We struggled to comeback against Alaves and Getafe both of which scored first on us and we barely won those matches 2-1 with late goals.

The team you dream of us playing simply cannot chase matches, it may work in the league and cup where we are much superior to most of our opposition but against clinical teams in the CL it will be tough unless we score first.

Against Celta we actually were able to comeback but we conceded again.

Against Espanyol in the league game the pitch was terrible and it was impossible to play.

Against Atletico and Valencia we played away and they have a strong defence, so it's hard to create chances. Real Madrid for example didn't create shit against Atletico and won thanks to two penalties against Valencia.

ronniecro

EV likes André because he allows other players to be better. Although it sounds crazy, he'll sometimes make runs that drag defenders away, creating spaces for Messi, Suarez, and the gang.

this ones from reddit,usual goldmine for comments like this
first bold is plain and simple :facepalm:,i don't even know what else to say
second bold,decoy run meme lives

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
What the hell are doing, Andre, who is going to buy you now:facepalm:. I was already counting the money we'll get for him from some PL club, I guess a one year loan to Watford is incoming...

PhilS

OK, sure, he was the worst Barca player on the field yesterday. That cross was hard to believe, and the suicide pass in his own penalty area was the type of error that you would think would keep him on the bench from now on.

Aside from that, I though he played better than the recent performances of both Vidal and Paco. None do much positive at all, Paco is more invisible, and Vidal turns the ball over much more frequently.

My point is that none of these three should start any big games. Just continuously rotate the superior offensive players, there are enough of them now (or will be soon, with Dembele) that there is no need to go deeper into the bench. Give Coutinho and Dembele some starts up front to rest Messi and Suarez.

bodi16

does anyone have a vid / gif with the cross ? i missed it

Here it is:

qY8XQR.gif

And Valverde's reaction on it :lol:

gLXVnZ.gif

Home of Barca Fans