André Gomes

M

MessiCam

Ok lets analyse the situation. How many CM players do we have? Coutinho, Paulinho, Iniesta are AM so we are left with Busi, Rakitic, Gomes and Sergi Roberto. If you exclude Sergi from that list since he is playing as a RB you have only 3 players for 2 positions so it's clear why Valverde needs him. I also don't think he will ever be good but he will stay here until summer since Valverde doesn't have anyone else as a backup.

If we continue to play 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 we need two physically strong CM/DM players in our squad and as things stand right now those are Busi, Raki and Gomes. I for sure hope we won't return to 4-3-3 since this formation will not suit 2 out of 3 our front players and we would be much more vulnerable in defense. Messi would have to play as false 9 and I am sure this is not an option anymore and Suarez as LW which is a blasphemy. As things stand right now 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 are perfect formations for our current squad.

I don't know... Last night El Pistolero looked like he played as a left inside forward with Paulinho pushing high up on the right wing in some sort of 4-3-3. It's what impressed me most about his performance. He worked hard on that left flank.

That said, it could have been that he was compensating for Gomes, like Busquets on occasion, who went invisible.

Edit: I actually disagree about the 4-2-3-1. I think we're a DLP short of making that work. Maybe Iniesta can transition into that role if we don't sign a suitable player.

With Coutinho, I think we can play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 while maintaining defensive integrity.

Last edited:

Windhook

Nobody expects Valverde to say "Gomez sucks".

Encouraging words and such type of games are supposed to boost Gomes' confidence.

Raketa10

I don't know... Last night El Pistolero looked like he played as a left inside forward with Paulinho pushing high up on the right wing in some sort of 4-3-3. It's what impressed me most about his performance. He worked hard on that left flank.

That said, it could have been that he was compensating for Gomes, like Busquets on occasion, who went invisible.

Edit: I actually disagree about the 4-2-3-1. I think we're a DLP short of making that work. Maybe Iniesta can transition into that role if we don't sign a suitable player.

With Coutinho, I think we can play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 while maintaining defensive integrity.

How would you fit Dembele, Messi, Suarez and Coutinho in 4-3-3 without forcing Suarez to play as a LW? It's possible only if you play Dembele as LW, Messi as RW and Suarez as CF but that won't happen since Messi doesn't want to play there and Dembele is better on RW so IMHO 4-3-3 is not suitable for us anymore...

jairzinho

He's winning.

Haahaha i like this. :p

But seriously i was saying elsewhere, it beats me what EV sees in the guy.

Even when you try to make sense of it, it's hard to figure out what he can do really well.

When you sit and analyze the guy, it's difficult to pin point any particular attribute than can make you say yes, that's why he's in there.

He seems like a really cool humble chap though. Works hard in training, good with the rest of the players. That type of player.

Ritchie

How would you fit Dembele, Messi, Suarez and Coutinho in 4-3-3 without forcing Suarez to play as a LW? It's possible only if you play Dembele as LW, Messi as RW and Suarez as CF but that won't happen since Messi doesn't want to play there and Dembele is better on RW so IMHO 4-3-3 is not suitable for us anymore...

Messi could play as the advanced midfielder in that case, or just switch with Coutinho through the game.

Zincubus

Banned
I'm probably his biggest fan in here and I admit to being slightly disappointed in him last night .. that said it was a difficult game for us in the first hour or so and he'd be given a job to do .

After that it was just a case of everyone playing support to the Suarez and Messi show ..

R

reaper

Will not happen now. Valverde likes him for some reason.

This is what Valverde said after the game...

Now I understand that Valverde is not the type to publicly chastise but Denis has been excluded for less. Let's see what happens with Gomes now.

Valverde is simply adding value to the player's transfer fee with some kind words. If Gomes was a decent player Valverde wouldn't bother saying anything. The fact he has to explain to fans why Gomes is good speaks volumes.

Raketa10

Messi could play as the advanced midfielder in that case, or just switch with Coutinho through the game.

And who would play on the wing in that 4-3-3? Didn't quite understand you? Playing Messi in the midfield is a bad idea since he wouldn't play defense at all.

ronniecro

i can't wait for him to gain some confidence and experience,hopefully next season or season after he'll be cracking player

M

MessiCam

He doesn't have to play as a LW but as an inside forward. And for the record he played on the left last night, whether that was by design or through compensating for Gomes is anyone's guess.

Home of Barca Fans