André Gomes

God Serena

Seems like Valverde likes him plenty as a squad player. And these days 40m. doesn't bring you a clear cut starter at a huge club like Barca.

He plays too often nowadays to be considered a squad player at this point. Denis, Digne, Paco... those are squad players. Not a guy who is playing damn near every week.

BarçaBarça

Him and Denis should be sold this summer so Aleñá can get more playing time when he is promoted to the first team next season.

I agree - it would make more sense, and give some identity back to Barca in the aftermath of the big galactico-transfers (dembele + coutinho).

Seems like Valverde likes him plenty as a squad player. And these days 40m. doesn't bring you a clear cut starter at a huge club like Barca.

We could give the playing-time to Alena? With the level of trust put in Gomes, I bet he could rise above him in 3 months.
Not to speak about Roberto: Every possible minute Gomes takes away from him would be an embarrassment of our club and everything it stands for, tbh.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

Gomes is our 4th worst player. I think that shows how much cleanup we still need to do in our 1st team.

Barcelona's worst players (worst to best):

1. Deulolfeu
2. Vidal
3. Denis
4. Gomes

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
What I see is that often times when he vacates the midfield to go forward he basically takes himself out of the game and runs straight into heavy marking.

Haven't you heard? It's the famous "shadow runs" where he is acting like decoy to make Messi great.

Horatio

You're welcome
Gomes is our 4th worst player. I think that shows how much cleanup we still need to do in our 1st team.

1. Deulolfeu
2. Vidal
3. Denis
4. Gomes

Not sure if it means much, but last season to many he was hands down worst player in the squad.

wisconsincule

1. Deulolfeu
2. Vidal
3. Denis
4. Gomes

With how we’ve been doing business I expect 1-3 to be gone in the next six months. Sign some new young talents and let them have their chance. Rinse and repeat.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Way over the top. You make it sound as if he's worse than Douglas. I get it. You don't like the player. You still have to give him some credit. Even the journos on Sport and MD, who used to bash him non stop last season think he's improved a lot this season.

He's improved but he's still not good enough to be a backup. It takes more than basic conjecture of he was "solid" or "acceptable" to make a case for Gomes. When he's literally the worst possible in the squad in nearly every significant statistical area (Goals/assists/key passes/fouls/turnovers per 90) then it really should raise a lot of red flags. Letting an output like that slide by is just not acceptable. I'll give him the credit of not being as bad as he was last year, now he can exist in the system without looking completely overwhelmed in every situation. But he still has shown nothing truly positive and earned no merits at all.

Other elite teams have the likes of Kovacic/Bernardo Silva/Gundogan/Tolisso coming off the bench. Those are elite backups. There's at least 3 tiers if not more between them and Gomes who is functionally useless to sub on and change/impact a game. What does he bring of value when he comes on? Creativity? Energy? Defensive solidity? Practically nothing, he plays like a placeholder who's just there to fill the 11th lineup spot. On his good days he'll be irrelevant and a plain performance with little to add. On his bad days he's an utter liability everywhere on the pitch that can singlehandedly sink your team's effort to win.

The hierarchy of playing time should be:

Starters->productive, well-rounded backups->niche bench players that can come on and bring something of value->developing youth players.

Why rotate with a player that has no use currently to win the game or in the long term future?

Luckily enough with Coutinho now our midfield options off the bench (Iniesta or Raki) improve greatly and Gomes will see less time. This summer too if we get Arthur and/or as Aleña makes his jump then Gomes' role will diminish greatly. I refuse to believe that when the squad is healthy Gomes can keep persisting with this much playing time performing so poorly.

Last edited:

serghei

He's improved but he's still not good enough to be a backup. It takes more than basic conjecture of he was "solid" or "acceptable" to make a case for Gomes. When he's literally the worst possible in the squad in nearly every significant statistical area (Goals/assists/key passes/fouls/turnovers per 90) then it really should raise a lot of red flags. Letting an output like that slide by is just not acceptable. I'll give him the credit of not being as bad as he was last year, now he can exist in the system without looking completely overwhelmed in every situation. But he still has shown nothing truly positive and earned no merits at all.

Other elite teams have the likes of Kovacic/Bernardo Silva/Gundogan/Tolisso coming off the bench. Those are elite backups. There's at least 3 tiers if not more between them and Gomes who is functionally useless to sub on and change/impact a game. What does he bring of value when he comes on? Creativity? Energy? Defensive solidity? Practically nothing, he plays like a placeholder who's just there to fill the 11th lineup spot. On his good days he'll be irrelevant and a plain performance with little to add. On his bad days he's an utter liability everywhere on the pitch that can singlehandedly sink your team's effort to win.

The hierarchy of playing time should be:

Starters->productive, well-rounded backups->niche bench players that can come on and bring something of value->developing youth players.

Why rotate with a player that has no use currently to win the game or in the long term future?

Luckily enough with Coutinho now our midfield options off the bench (Iniesta or Raki) improve greatly and Gomes will see less time. This summer too if we get Arthur and/or as Aleña makes his jump then Gomes' role will diminish greatly. I refuse to believe that when the squad is healthy Gomes can keep persisting with this much playing time performing so poorly.

You make good points, it's just that you are exaggerating with how bad he is. Not exactly true this season. I personally see a player who has improved considerably since last season, and maybe can continue to do so, if a very good offer doesn't come for us to sell him. Had very good sequences in almost each game he played this season. It's just that he isn't consistent enough and alternates between some very good plays and some clumsy moments and poor shots. Don't join this idea that it's all bad. Some through balls vs Betis were good, switched the play nicely several times, he is aggressive off the ball (don't see a problem with his fouls, as he usually makes them in the opponents half, which is good if you think about it, because it cuts counters), which is what you want to see in these tough games.

We don't have a Gomes problem at all this season. It's not like Alena doesn't play because of him (he doesn't play because Valverde doesn't trust him yet). And now, as you say, with Coutinho, he'll play less.

And we still have to get money for him. We can't be buying 40m. players and then just sell them for peanuts, while we buy 100m+ players. We have to get back some of the money (if not all) we paid for him.

Last edited:

ronniecro

[tw]956070817116274688[/tw]

Fucking class, can't wait to see more of his "solid" matches!

If he's playing in a more defensive role what do you expect? You have Messi, Dembele, Iniesta, Suarez to do the rest. Why don't you do a stat on how many interceptions, tackles and successful passes he makes to keep the team ticking over.
first comment below i've seen :lol: luckily for gomes we have messi,suarez and iniesta who will do the rest

M

MessiCam

If he's playing in a more defensive role what do you expect? You have Messi, Dembele, Iniesta, Suarez to do the rest. Why don't you do a stat on how many interceptions, tackles and successful passes he makes to keep the team ticking over.
first comment below i've seen :lol: luckily for gomes we have messi,suarez and iniesta who will do the rest

What defensive role are you talking about?

Anyway he's made - 14 tackles, 3 interceptions, 1 clearance, 0 Blocked shots, passing accuracy is 89% and been dribbled passed 5 times. In fact he gets dribbled passed more than anybody except Vidal and Dembele...

Home of Barca Fans