Cdr: FC Barcelona - Atletico de Madrid 1-0

Gaudi

Yeah, go watch the game again instead posting few screenshots.
It's everything about where the ball is located. They pressed us high up the pitch when we tried to build and also caved back when we managed to get through. It's called cohesive defending. Limiting space for opponents wherever the ball is.
If you can't make a distinction between what Cholo instilled in Atleti and generic "bus" phrasing do watch some more football.

Sorry, maybe we have different understandig of word bus in football, but if you don't even bother attacking, and just clear the ball a lot of time I call it a bus. They don't necessary have to wait in the box, but always behind a ball and that being your only and main objectice - it's a bus!

Real, on the other hand didn't play a bus against us in our first game even when they were defending.

G

Gasgas

It's everything about where the ball is located. They pressed us high up the pitch when we tried to build and also caved back when we managed to get through. It's called cohesive defending. Limiting space for opponents wherever the ball is.
If you can't make a distinction between what Cholo instilled in Atleti and generic "bus" phrasing do watch some more football.
:worthy:

F

Flavia

Sloppy. Unconvincing.

Again, this isn't last year's atletico's. Them losing Costa, Filipe and Courtois were massive blows to this team, particularly Courtois and Luis. I see this as more of them getting weaker and tired overall than us getting stronger. Sure the defense looks better but of course it will when both of the fullbacks don't overlap. Other than that, we had a midfield that didn't create much of anything other than Rakitic's pass to Suarez. It's nothing coordinated, we score opportunistic goals against the run of play at times or it's Messi pulling a rabbit out of a hat. That's not going to cut it against better teams.

All I'm saying is this team should be playing a lot better and scoring goals a lot easier than they are now. Suarez looked frustrated tonight, Iniesta continues to struggle and Rakitic is still adapting.

And can someone other than Messi start taking penalties? He kinda has a habit of choking with high pressure penalties...

Which teams would that be? Atletico is still one of the best teams around. Ask rm. And while we can obviously improve even more, these last 2 games against them showed a much better Barça.

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters

They made no attempt to attack whatsoever throughout the whole match and had 10 men behind the ball whenever possible. Call it what you want, but it is a bus.

G

Gasgas

They made no attempt to attack whatsoever throughout the whole match and had 10 men behind the ball whenever possible. Call it what you want, but it is a bus.

I think we either watched a different game
What i saw, atletico came to look for an away goal, they always press us and foul us in advanced positions,
But this time around as compared to last season we didnt oose the ball haphazardly and so we managed to evade their press and attack them,
They also tried to attack but our pressing and defence stiffled them before they could cause harm and we regained possession

pacp_96

I think we either watched a different game
What i saw, atletico came to look for an away goal, they always press us and foul us in advanced positions,
But this time around as compared to last season we didnt oose the ball haphazardly and so we managed to evade their press and attack them,
They also tried to attack but our pressing and defence stiffled them before they could cause harm and we regained possession

Don't even remember them having a shot on target. If, as you say, it was because of our pressing and defence then what are we worrying about for the rest of the season. The treble must be ours.

G

Gasgas

Don't even remember them having a shot on target. If, as you say, it was because of our pressing and defence then what are we worrying about for the rest of the season. The treble must be ours.

They had one shot on target! We limited them to that in this particular match, i am talking about this particular match regardless how our defence played in any other previous matches or how it will play in the near future

FC B

Sloppy. Unconvincing.

Again, this isn't last year's atletico's. Them losing Costa, Filipe and Courtois were massive blows to this team, particularly Courtois and Luis. I see this as more of them getting weaker and tired overall than us getting stronger. Sure the defense looks better but of course it will when both of the fullbacks don't overlap. Other than that, we had a midfield that didn't create much of anything other than Rakitic's pass to Suarez. It's nothing coordinated, we score opportunistic goals against the run of play at times or it's Messi pulling a rabbit out of a hat. That's not going to cut it against better teams.

All I'm saying is this team should be playing a lot better and scoring goals a lot easier than they are now. Suarez looked frustrated tonight, Iniesta continues to struggle and Rakitic is still adapting.

And can someone other than Messi start taking penalties? He kinda has a habit of choking with high pressure penalties...

+1

Last edited:

pacp_96

They had one shot on target! We limited them to that in this particular match, i am talking about this particular match regardless how our defence played in any other previous matches or how it will play in the near future

One shot Wow. Was that the one hit from around 30 yards that MAtS had to actually bend down to catch? Does that even count? :lol:

Anyway, whether we forced them into parking a bus or whether they did it themselves it doesn't make any difference. The point is that they parked an airbus in front of their goal which we had to break down and they hardly attacked at all. That is what I would call 'parking the bus'. If you want to call it something different then be my guest.

Neeraj

Like i mentioned before the game, I thought this would be much harder, and it was. I thought we played alright though. The single piece screwing everything up right now is Suarez. I feel for him, because he can't seem to make simple passes, 1-2s, can't seem to control and can't seem to finish - basically do anything right. I'm thinking of one single touch in this game that was did break down our attack.

So keeping that in mind, it's hard to beat a tight team like Atletico. Those complaining about buses, please get over it, this has been discussed before..the slower you play and the more possession you try and keep, the more number of people the opposition is going to have behind the ball..We were not as incisive with the counters as we were against the league, and hence you feel they parked the bus now, but didn't earlier.

With Suarez in this sort of form, I am sure we would have done better with Pedro instead - who may not make a goal, but won't get in the way of one. But Suarez's quality is unquestionable and for him to get confidence and form back, I guess he has to keep playing.

Overall, good win, good result, time to look forward!

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
They didn't press our backline the whole time. At the end of the first half and the beginning of the second, they did, but for the rest of the game, Atletico sat back and defended. If that's not parking the bus, then I guess Mourinho's RM didn't park the bus against us.

anguy

With Suarez in this sort of form, I am sure we would have done better with Pedro instead - who may not make a goal, but won't get in the way of one. But Suarez's quality is unquestionable and for him to get confidence and form back, I guess he has to keep playing.

Suarez current bad form is Pedro's norm. Plus it's unlikely Pedro would be able to play in center anyway.

Home of Barca Fans