Darijo Srna

Raketa10

There is no way we will sign him. He is 34 years old and in major decline for past few years.
He was great 7-8 years ago but today he is nowhere near Barca level. I would say he is nearing the end of his career.

Tomchin

Hmmm, weird news. If Srna is a free agent, I guess he still could join us even though the transfer-window ended, but if I understand it correctly he's not a free agent for now? Why the hell would Shaktar rescind his contract, just because Barca is interested?

JamDav1982

Speculating based on nothing but could it be..... Srna back up RB, Rafinha loaned out and Vidal seen as back up wide player.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
I would welcome him with open arms. Don't trust Vidal at all in that position. Like someone else said on here earlier, just imagine if Roberto got injured right before a Clasico or an important CL fixture. Ronaldo alone would skin him alive, and that's without taking Marcelo into account, who I see as even more dangerous than Ronaldo these days.

I

instinct

How has Palencia been developing in the past few months? Would he be able to replace Srna in 1-2 years and be a permanent backup for Roberto?
[MENTION=20074]navidjaan[/MENTION]

I

instinct

Speculating based on nothing but could it be..... Srna back up RB, Rafinha loaned out and Vidal seen as back up wide player.

Would definitely keep Vidal as a backup for Messi. He's shown that he's able to play well there.

JamDav1982

How has Palencia been developing in the past few months? Would he be able to replace Srna in 1-2 years and be a permanent backup for Roberto?

Watching Palencia he has that Puyol type attitude of leaving nothing on the pitch...just doesnt seem to have the ability to go with it or enough ability to make it to first team.

I

instinct

Watching Palencia he has that Puyol type attitude of leaving nothing on the pitch...just doesnt seem to have the ability to go with it or enough ability to make it to first team.

Thanks for your input. At least it's a good sign that he's been included in the CL squad.

navidjaan

He is getting better and better. And he's playing regularly at LB, where he has played a lot at La Masia too. Note that he has benched Moi, who was signed last winter and who was actually playing pretty well as Grimaldo's replacement. Puyol didn't have the biggest talent either, but he got far simply because of hard work. Not saying Palencia will reach that level, but he's a player any coach would love because og his mentality and versatility. He just needs to become a bit less aggressive. Makes a bit too many FK's and got a yellow card for complaining today. I can see him reaching the first team, maybe even next year to push Vidal and be a LB reserve as well when Mathieu (probably) leaves. Either way, a promotion would be very well-received by the La Masia followers in Catalonia because he's a kid who has always been an outsider, always fighting for every single minute he has gotten despite having to compete with players who maybe had a bigger talent, lately Godswill.

Playing-wise, he is good on the ball, confident at both RB and LB, and is a really, really solid defender. Barely gets dribbled. He gets a lot less forward at LB than at RB, but even at RB he needs to work on his attacking. But he has the will to get forward, that's for sure. Just needs an end product.

Raketa10

That's a clueless statement.

That is a fact! I am from Croatia and i have been watching Darijo all of his career. He is one of my favorite Croatian players of all time but today he is not half of a player he was and that is normal due to his age.

Nowdays his defending is terrible! Try to look a game Norway-Croatia 2-0, he was skinned alive by an average player.

His crossing is terrible and this was his specialty and not to mention that he has lost his speed.

He is nearing his retirement and that is a FACT! Only clueless person can say that he can play in Barca nowdays. Put Ronaldo agains him and it would be a disaster of epic proportion.

All of this said Vidal is also definitely not a sulution. In next transfer window we should definitely buy a young right back who knows how to defend.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans