Darijo Srna

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Do we? Only if he can attack and defend brilliantly, and those players are rare. Our formation is so attacking and vulnerable to counterattacks, that I don't mind having a defensive LB.
Zhirkov & Lahm, though great going forward, don't quite cut it defensively for me.

well ideally we'd have someone who is attacking and defensive.

but I meant more that we need one that is similarly insane as dani so we don't always have to play dani to ensure we have that sort of attacking presence from FB.

and then we have the option to go absolutely insane and play both if we're really chasing a game.

beef-supreme

well ideally we'd have someone who is attacking and defensive.

but I meant more that we need one that is similarly insane as dani so we don't always have to play dani to ensure we have that sort of attacking presence from FB.

and then we have the option to go absolutely insane and play both if we're really chasing a game.

Yes, firstly it's too risky to count on Alves being able to play 4500 minutes every season. What he did this year was crazy and as he ages it is unlikely that he will be able to do the same. A dynamic LB could then play, with a defense-minded player at RB when Dani isn't playing.
Secondly, the possibility of injuries must always be factored in. If Dani is out and Sylvinho leaves, then we will have no creativity coming from the wings, due to the restrictions of a 4-3-3.
And thirdly, as Meta said, if we're really chasing a game it's always possible to play both, them serving as midfielders but with the defensive skills required to stop counter-attacks. Perhaps a safer bet than playing with 2 or 3 defenders and asking midfielders to track back.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
We really in discussions with him? He is awesome and would be a great backup and mentor for Bob!

BBZ8800

Maicon was a tank in RB position too

For a few years. Like Lewa was Ballon for a month a year ago

Yes, Maicon lasted only a few years.
Srna is on the similar level since around 2004 till today:
Back in 2004 qualifiers vs Sweden, 0:1 away win:

World cup 2006 vs Australia: 2:2:

He is quite good with long range free kicks, plus with corners and crosses from free kicks.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Anyone who is or ever has been an athlete, recognize the value of a player like Srna on your team - it's immeasurable. I like the profile of players like him, he would be an asset no question

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Players arriving on free can be registered lately.... Not an issue. I think a maximum of 3 players can be registered that way in the league.

He will have to wait to play in CL though

Home of Barca Fans