Cdr: FC Barcelona - Elche CF 5-0

Darko

Yeah, but the thing is, we don't have young players to replicate tiki-taka. Shifting focus from midfield to attack is one of the things Lucho does right.

Yeah, in his retarded way, truly shifting the focus would be ditching the slow build-up and passing and getting the ball to forwards in space and not when they are crowded by 8 players...

I

instinct

Yeah Simeone...
People look at what Simeone did with Atletico (i suppose the achievements), because if we look at which kind of soccer Atletico propose.... absolutely nothing to do with barca.

I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't play exactly the same way with Barcelona as with Atletico. Great coaches look at their players and build a system according to their strenghts. Bad coaches desperately try to fit players into a certain system.
Furthermore, Simeone would bring fire and fighting spirit to this club, I've missed this for years now.

King5Puyi

Todays opponent although are no where if the same class, it was actually interesting with the beauty passes.

If adriano truly is a complete utility player, I'd like see him get a chance over Dani at RB. Dani on his own ruined around 10 attacks.

Saeed

After such wonderful performance, the players sure need 2 days off! Come on, our beloved manager, we need surprises against Atletico . Time for Adama should be our secret weapon.

Man, I am really dead worried about our players. Enrique got the managing concept upside down. It is useless to have such world class players if you can't get them to give 100% of their talent.

The players look spiritless and clueless. Our midfield which was once upon a time our strength, is now by far our weakest link. It lacks creativity. That makes our front line more or less toothless. Unless Messi puts on his Savior cloak and creates scoring chances for all.

Enrique's Barca is out of shape, unbalanced, tasteless, toothless and joyless for both players and supporters.

A new manager is a must; and he has to be world class, and quit bluffing us with DNA Barca, that is a very old lie.

But for now, I really hope we won't be humiliated by At Atletico , I have a weak heart and I won't bear such pain.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Watching the highlights Elche was beyond crap. But nice goals nonetheless, And all those empty seats in Camp Nou...

WallBreaker

Before i give my opinion on this particular game, i would like to point out that this is the only the first game from FC Barcelona that i watch this season, and so there is plenty of background information on the team and it's players that i am not greatly "in tune" with. There is also so much going on the pitch on both team's sides, that it's quite difficult to pay attention to and fully understand everything that is going on, specially on 1 live sitting.

View attachment 6751

First of all i was not "convinced" with the movements in the pitch pertaining Suarez, Messi, and the right side of the pitch.

I thought that Suarez was sitting too tightly with the defenders (looking for depth). There are times when the forward can move back in order to associate with the team's midfield and wings, in order to hold on the ball and keep the play moving, but Suarez was too static for my liking and thus hardly saw the ball in the first 30 or so minutes.

Messi was also not providing much width across the pitch, he was coming towards the center quite often which was also limiting Suarez's time on the ball, and concentrating Barcelona's play on the left side primarily with Neymar, Alba, and Messi. Not enough width (play across the pitch) as the right side had only Rakitic and Alves involved in making play, and Elche was also playing with 352

X X X
X X X X X

So it was going to be difficult to take advantage of that right side that was covered by the left centre back and 2 midfielders against mainly Rakitic and Alves.

Neymar was very good, always moving to find the ball and triangulate with Alba and Sergi Roberto, making some wall passing with Messi and Suarez, and since there were so many players Barca players on Elche's side of the pitch and Elche were sitting back, there also wasn't much countering to defend from.

You could see Mascherano add himself to defend with Rakitic and Sergi Roberto on the sides, whilst Neymar also helped out a bit with the pressing and making the pitch smaller.

During the second half i did see more movement between Suarez and Messi, changing from middle to right, and Rakitic was acting more in attacking midfield positions in order to fill the pitch with more players on the right. I'm not sure how well Suarez would look if he played on the right with his left foot looking at play and cutting inside, but definitely better movement between Messi an Suarez should be seen.

Both Sergi Roberto and Rakitic didn't see much of the ball but were positionally alright considering the context i suppose.

Messi was incredible when he had the ball in his feet. :messi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd9bLlPUKto

1st goal. Sergi Roberto coming in very well, Messi with the great turn, Suarez with a very good quick pass, and Neymar with the finish, against an Elche which saw too little of the ball and were pinned, but you can also see that Elche's midfielders were all behind (Barcelona's attackers with in front of the defenders and Messi got off his marker to easily). Very good close play from Barca.

2nd goal. Suarez get the reward from his primary movement in this game which was depth, marker lost him way too easily, and right centre back a bit clueless, but very good from Suarez. Perfect in that situation.

Then the rest i can't say much on because this highlight video is very iffy.

Good performance from Barca overall, but not really challenged, and so how the team works systematically was not tested dynamically.

Some thoughts.

Edit: Would like to add that what i saw from Suarez today reminded me of what i saw (recently) from Ibrahimovic in Barca 1 R.Madrid 0 from 2009, in terms of movement. I can remember a shot where i think Guardiola is telling Ibra to be more involved with the ball at his feet.

Last edited:

SeloBarca

Was the empty stands a littlbe bit of a statement against the board aswell?
Missed the game, but were there any booing?

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Beautiful piece of play on 48:42, looked like rondo.

Is it just Elche or Barca interchanged positions during the attacks a lot?

Last edited:

klc123

Best performance by suarez so far, looked really good and gives us an option as a dedicated CF. Besides messi he would have been my man of the match, a goal he made on his own, an assist, and heavily involved in all our good attacking play.

Alves needs to go, he ruined so much of the attacks down the right hand side. Whenever we looked threatening and he received the ball he would just give it away.

Kohe321

Nice win.

Will watch the goals later today.

LE redeemed? :pep:

:joke:

Hehe, I felt this was like watching a game of world class players improvising on the local pitch. No structure or system as usual, but once Neymar or Messi start doing their thing, the others follow and it often leads to fantastic individual moments. Won't work against tougher opposition though, as we've seen many times this season.

Home of Barca Fans