Lliga: Real Sociedad - FC Barcelona 1-0

DennyCrane

Yeah, but our own defensive shape in minute 73 when we're chasing isn't that important. Especially since Sociedad had little time in organised possession meaning we had little time to fall back into a defensive shape. It was never our strong point or something we really focused on anyway. Having 3 upfront at that point also means three outlets for quick counter attacks.

The thing that worries me there is that we didn't commit more men to our left side to win the ball back, creating a pressing overload. Busquets could have been nearer to the ball, same with Xavi. The latter doesn't really have to mark the zone where Sociedad's player on their left side is. He could be nearer to the one who is going to receive the ball. But probably we won the ball a few seconds later anyway so...

It is important. One of the root causes of Barca's problems is the lack of compactness, the distances between players are way too big as this snapshot is supposed to illustrate. I could have taken other snapshots as well, as this problem is apparent in the offense, defense and transition phases of Barca's play and this is gradually getting worse. Pressing overload is all fine and well but it requires collective movement.

And that is my mine gripe with the current Barca, that there is no cohesive movement as a unit. This flaw hampers the efforts to press, it restricts creation of triangles and disconnects the parts of the team. It's also the reason for the impression that Barca strive only due to individual brilliance, because this team has no discernible shape. Competent teams will run riot in those gaps - guarenteed. Fixing this requires a lot of work that Lucho is either unable or unwilling to deliver.

And having three players upfront, to all appearances waiting for the parkometer to run out is only a counter threat in theory - I haven't seen even one impressive quick transition play in months from this team.

serghei

And that is my mine gripe with the current Barca, that there is no cohesive movement as a unit. This flaw hampers the efforts to press, it restricts creation of triangles and disconnects the parts of the team. It's also the reason for the impression that Barca strive only due to individual brilliance, because this team has no discernible shape. Competent teams will run riot in those gaps - guarenteed. Fixing this requires a lot of work that Lucho is either unable or unwilling to deliver.

That is because he uses a long team, not a compact team. I don't think it's a matter of players not listening to him, but a matter of him having a way to rigid approach. Also, another problem is Neymar and Messi not dropping with the team on the defensive phase. They make 0 effort to track back. That's either because they are too lazy to do it, they are unmotivated, or because Lucho wants a long team on purpose. He wants to have men available up front when we win the ball back in defense, but instead of achieving that by way of transition "team defensive phase -- team offensive phase", he splits the team in half. IMO, the logical way would be for the wingers to close down the opposition's wide players. That means that when say Marcelo from RM goes in offense, our RW needs to track back at the same rate as Marcelo is going forward. Last season, Alves and Mascherano were torn to pieces by Di Maria, Marcelo and Ronaldo, because our RW didn't bother to do much defending -- that was Neymar I guess. They had a 3 vs 2 supperiority there all night long. That's another reason why we were stupid to sell Sanchez. The man was a complete player last season -- goals, asssits, efort, tracking back, even winning headers and making sliding tackles. You need players like that in your team. If Neymar and Messi are to play wingers for us, they better give more in terms of effort. That means tracking back from time to time, especially against teams that are dangerous on the counter.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
Have won every away game since this defeat.

9 in a row :lucho:

Huh? Our last loss was against Malaga at home remmeber? It's 5 matches is a row and before malaga match it is 10 matches in a row i think

Edit: Nvm, did not the see you were mentioning away games. Yep, awesome work by the team.

Last edited:

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
Potentially we could look back at this game as the match that saved our season. Who'd have thought it at the time.

Home of Barca Fans