CAS dismisses Barcelona's transfer ban appeal

F

Flavia

Can we call Deulofeu and Suarez back from loan? Would be very strange if Sevilla does not want them anymore, but we cannot take them back, as an example.

Yes, loaned players can come back. But sevilla would have to want to send them back. I don't know about Deulo, but Denis loan contract is for 2 years. We'd have to pay sevilla, to get him back before that.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Yes, loaned players can come back. But sevilla would have to want to send them back. I don't know about Deulo, but Denis loan contract is for 2 years. We'd have to pay sevilla, to get him back before that.
That payment would be considered as a fine for breaching the contract.. More so than as actually buying the player!

Kasperroed

I think it is fine. Really, if we actually could buy players, who would we need then? Obviously a RB, but what more? Maybe a midfielder, but i think we will be fine if Enrique starts to use Montoya instead of Alves.

In addition, this is a great opportunity for Samper, Halilovic, Adama, Grimaldo + maybe D. Suarez, who are the youngsters i currently think could turn out to be WC-players.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
I think it's a fair decision. Clubs get away with too many dirty deals, you'd like to hope this will scare a few clubs into being more honest. Although, going by history it probably won't happen.

Well, we'll see if any of your current youth players look like they can make the grade, they'll need to be used now that you can't buy anyone.

Barcilliant

I think it's a fair decision. Clubs get away with too many dirty deals, you'd like to hope this will scare a few clubs into being more honest. Although, going by history it probably won't happen.

Well, we'll see if any of your current youth players look like they can make the grade, they'll need to be used now that you can't buy anyone.

Hmm...a biased Chelsea supporter saying it's fair! Lol.
I hate the board and Lucho is hopeless but this decision stinks! Call me a conspiracy theorist but the powers that be have clearly been looking to screw us at every opportunity.
Why don't Fifa dig up dirt on clubs like Rm or Chelsea?
Abramovich is a criminal in every sense and uses Chelsea as political protection. Rm are the favourites of Uefa and Fifa...and is one of the reasons we are getting hammered. Other clubs are doing this but we are the scapegoats.
Fuck Cas Fuck Fifa!

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
But it is fair, completely. I would have had no complaints if Chelsea were banned for the Kakuta incident, fortunately for us the CAS favoured us in that instance, for whatever silly reason. A lot of big clubs are dishonest, it would be fantastic if this scared them but as I said I highly doubt it will.

And don't go crying foul now, you deserve this ban, just as any side who do dirty shit like this deserve to be banned as well. I'd absolutely say it's fair if it came out tomorrow that Chelsea are guilty of something like what Barcelona did and got banned for 1 or 2 windows. What it comes down to is you guys not covering your tracks well enough, there's no agenda against you, you just messed up.

Blame your board.

jEBJ2TP.gif

Last edited:

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Barcelona's upheld transfer ban sets an encouraging precedent for big clubs

Three cheers for the Court of Arbitration for Sport. In rejecting FC Barcelona's appeal against their FIFA-imposed transfer ban for rule-breaking in the signing of youth footballers, they have demonstrated that a big club, perhaps the big club in this area of football development, cannot simply disregard the rules and bluster its way through the consequences.

In short, Barca broke FIFA rules that dictate at what age, and for what reasons, developing footballers who have not reached the age of majority (18) may be moved across countries and/or continents in order to train at a specific club. They have been punished for nine different breaches.

Since the ban from buying players during two transfer markets was announced in April, Barcelona's excuses have ranged from "not guilty" to "we've committed some minor errors," "we know better than FIFA," "other people are doing it" and, finally, something close to "a big boy did it and ran away."

Even in their immediate response to the CAS judgement on Tuesday, Barcelona place heavy emphasis on their status as world leaders in the schooling and development of youth footballers. It may be factually true, but it's also utterly irrelevant to this case.

Also it is sadly true to the low-grade and complacent responses that have characterised the club's reactions to the threat since it was first apparent, when FIFA began to demand information about Barca's juvenile players as far back as February 2013.

What first FIFA and now CAS have found to be categorically proven is that Barcelona breached the rules and, as such, deserve to be sanctioned irrespective of whether they represent the blue-ribbon standard of youth development in football.

What the appeal process has proved, equally categorically, is that Barcelona's stance is underpinned by the idea that "rules are for others." Perhaps this was best encapsulated by the club displaying the slogan "Hands off La Masia" on a giant banner inside the Camp Nou in April before the club played Real Betis in La Liga.

That represented a message that in some way, FIFA finding Barca guilty of breaching their rules (something the club now admit) was a direct attack on their La Masia talent factory where the cream of their current squad (Andres Iniesta, Lionel Messi, Xavi, Pedro, Sergio Busquets, Gerard Pique, etc) either lived or were trained on a daily basis.

This is nonsense. What Barcelona patently wish to be able to do is win the talent race. Any club who can identify, sign and develop the best of world footballing talent will automatically have many advantages over their competitors.

One shining example is that if you, like Barcelona between 2003-13, possess a defining, clear and advanced football philosophy and apply it to all age groups at the club right up to the first team, then the power of training kids in that philosophy over and over again from the age of 10 or 11 can yield immense benefits. It doesn't have to be the same philosophy as Barcelona's, just one that will benefit from repeated practice and refining.

What else?

If the scouting of young kids is conducted with clear, excellent criteria, then the act of selecting just the right type of player, from the right background and for the right reasons, can drastically reduce the amount of waste among players who get into the system but are patently not of the right calibre.

Finally, the mega clubs all actively want to find the first great kids from the United States, from China, from Korea, from Indonesia, from the Gulf states ... from the "newer" footballing nations, especially those with mega-populations, so that if they eventually make it to the first-team level they instantly become exceptional and fertile marketing products.

So competitive has this race for youth talent become that the temptation for either the "best" clubs (or the most ruthless, take your pick) is to ignore FIFA restrictions and recruit kids of 11, 12 or 13 and to find their parents (or single parent) work in the city where the new club is located or, indeed, within the club itself.

Barcelona were not wrong that others are doing this too; just wrong that others breaking the rules is an excuse for them to do it.

Why is this wrong? Because there have sadly been a multitude of cases in which clubs recruited very young foreign footballers and then callously discarded them at 19 or 20 years old, almost always without pay or education, if they didn't make the grade. Regulation in this area is most certainly needed.

It is eminently feasible that La Masia's excellence actually has left Barcelona vulnerable to rules that unfairly restrict either them or or European clubs of similar excellence. It may also very well be that FIFA's rules require updating and redrafting in the future.

Now Barcelona are threatening to take their appeal further, to the judicial authorities in Switzerland who, in theory at least, may have superior power to CAS. I hope they see sense, repent and get their heads down to the task of lobbying FIFA for clearer, more modern and more all-encompassing rules.

Now, what of the Barcelona first team?

Just to reduce still further any misplaced sympathy for the Catalan club, their appeal allowed them room to restock the squad last summer with the likes of Jeremy Mathieu, Claudio Bravo, Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Luis Suarez. How well they managed that is still a hot potato among the club members and media in Catalonia.

My opinion is that that process will, in due course, cost football director Andoni Zubizarreta his position. By the very point made in the club's formal response to their punishment on Tuesday, Barcelona's youth development is notoriously excellent and has been a keynote of world regard earned over the past decade, particularly under Frank Rijkaard and Pep Guardiola.

For us neutrals it will be fascinating to discover whether the next 12 months, while they are banned from buying players, provide extra impetus to promote footballers like Adama Traore, Jean Marie Dongou, Edgar Le, Sergi Samper, Alex Grimaldo and striker Sandro Ramirez (the latter is already the only Barca player to have scored in all three competitions this season).

For a club that remains several hundred million euros in debt, it also offers a 12-month opportunity to sanitise their outgoings and eat into that debt.

Perhaps most importantly, at least for those who support this club or invest in it, this comprehensive defeat for a short-sighted and complacent policy from the board offers that group of men and women the chance to reconsider their attitudes and ideas and to begin their approach to the 2016 presidential elections at FC Barcelona with more honest, open, clear, well-thought-out and intelligent policies.

http://www.espnfc.com/spanish-prime...outing-process-that-must-change-graham-hunter

Chong Li

No more terrible Zubi transfer flops like Douglass and Verm, no more unnecessary und overpriced buys like Bravo. No more useless loans of our promising youth players like Samper, Adama, etc.

And of course this is gonna be the death blow for our criminal board. For this alone I'm even willing to accept another sub par season.

Antimadridista1

But it is fair, completely. I would have had no complaints if Chelsea were banned for the Kakuta incident, fortunately for us the CAS favoured us in that instance, for whatever silly reason. A lot of big clubs are dishonest, it would be fantastic if this scared them but as I said I highly doubt it will.

And don't go crying foul now, you deserve this ban, just as any side who do dirty shit like this deserve to be banned as well. I'd absolutely say it's fair if it came out tomorrow that Chelsea are guilty of something like what Barcelona did and got banned for 1 or 2 windows. What it comes down to is you guys not covering your tracks well enough, there's no agenda against you, you just messed up.

Blame your board.

jEBJ2TP.gif

Mate do you even know what you're talking about ?
There's a lot of bullshit in your post, even if I completely agree with your last sentence.

You need to have more knowledge of the situation before giving this kind of opinion ; I don't think that you know if this if fair or if it's not.
Many clubs in Spain (and probably Europe) did the same but they got no ban. Real Madrid is among those clubs.

Anyway, the youngsters of B team are probably very happy to hear that. The likes of Halilovic, Adama, Munir, Sandro and Samper will get minutes for sure next season.

Last edited:

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Then obviously Spain needs an overhaul if so many are supposedly doing it.

Last edited:
E

El_e8

Abramovich might be criminal like you say but he loves his club. He shows emotions unlike our tools who just sit there in their suits shaking hands with another Saudi Arabian prince. If you love something you fight for it. If we had Laporta as a president atm I'm 100% the ban would be gone. He would bribe every person he possibly could.

I'm happy we got banned. FC Barcelona as a whole got way too cocky and this will bring us back to earth.

Home of Barca Fans