Who is the most impressive player you've seen live?

footyfan

Calma, calma
Alternatively, what was the best individual performance you've seen in a stadium?

I've been to a few games and I've realized how different it actually is when you've got the full view of the pitch and no camera angles distorting your view. Anyway, the player that has impressed me the most is, not very surprisingly, Xavi. I've been privileged to see this genius on 3 or 4 occasions. You know how people use the expression, 'cant touch him when he's like that/cant get near him'. Well that was literally the case with Xavi. He would not allow anyone to come within 2 feet of the ball. And he kept this up in every area of the pitch for the entire 90 min. Not seen such a unique player in my lifetime.

The best individual performance I've seen is Messi vs Arsenal. So fucking clinical, knowing exactly what to do and where to go with the ball. It seems like he forms a picture of what he's going to do and just does it with zero mistakes. Probably helps that he has the lowest reaction time of any player.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
It's a toss up between Pirlo and Iniesta. Also there's Kaka, Scholes and Alonso.

I've seen Ronaldo play too but he was poor that day.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Honorable mentions to Alexis Sanchez vs Brazil (so fast, strong and relentless) and Zidane vs England (Euro 2004, majestic player)

footyfan

Calma, calma
It's a toss up between Pirlo and Iniesta. Also there's Kaka, Scholes and Alonso.

I've seen Ronaldo play too but he was poor that day.

One of my biggest regrets is that Iniesta was either injured or off-colour in the games I've watched. Also, I've always wanted to see Kaka, so elegant for his pace on the ball.

Ronaldo is not the type of player to really impress people on the pitch. His style of play is quite boring because he's a player of moments and his best attributes are off-the-ball.

Morten

Ronaldo in Man Utd was a much more entertaining player.

Sure, he was a different player back then, more agile and a better dribbler. I still find him entertaining, he still does tricks and unexpected stuff and they come off fairly often. But yes, he has become less consistent in his entertaining, caring more about goals.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I actually saw him play for United. This is back in 2006 when he was still a bit raw. I think he just had an off night (it was a CL game against Celtic, who won 1-0), Scholes was really good though.

Also yeah Kaka, he was so good at moving with the ball, this was a CL knockout in 2007 the year Milan won the CL, think he won the Balon D'Or that year. Iniesta I saw against Scotland in a euro qualifier right after the 2010 WC. He reminded me of Kaka but better in small spaces, he even scored a goal.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
Messi I think. This was back in 2010 when we played against FC Copenhagen away. It wasn't his best game nor the team's, but his touches on the ball and dribbling was a joy to behold.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
Probably Messi. Unfortunately Xavi could not play when I saw Barca here in Germany vs Leverkusen. Was always my dream to be in the stadium and watch him perform. I hope the maestro plays when I visit the Camp Nou this year.
Who also impressed me on this day was Alexis. His movement and work rate were really good and he scored a brace in that game too.
Leo's best moment was an awesome dribble against two players followed by a chip from a difficult angle that hit the post.

Considering Bundesliga matches I saw I would say Ribery and Lahm.

The most boring match I ever saw live was Schalke vs Chelsea. :D
Shaun Wright-Phillips (who was subbed in quite late, if I remember correctly) was the only player who tried something and had a few nice moments.
Was a CL group stage game I think and ended 0:0. But Chelsea did not need a win.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

The most impressive players in terms of overall ability I've seen live: Xavi, Messi, Iniesta, Puyol, Zanetti and Pirlo.

But pretty much every time I've been to a match, the team I'm cheering for loses or draws and/or no one I like plays well. :( So nothing really in terms of individual performances I've actually seen.

Yannik

i dont know.
Ive sen both, Messi and Ronaldo, live already so it has to be one of them i guess

Home of Barca Fans