Champions League: FC Barcelona - Paris Saint Germain 3-1

mssarm

Blanc (coach PSG): "It seemed that Barcelona's surprising line-up confused their players more than our players." #fcblive

:lol::lol::lol:

yet he lost the game, but gotta find an excuse I rather see us winning with confused players than than losing with the players completely digging the tactics.

Neeraj

Wow, what an interesting lineup and game!

1.) Glad we won. There were some positives - Bartra was excellent, Neymar will gain a lot of confidence with that goal, Messi looked quite active, especially in pressing. I really liked the way the team shut down spaces for PSG to pass to in their own half, pressing in a collective way rather than running like headless chickens. They do this only in the big games it seems.

2.) Our defence. It was a joke, and honestly, was embarrassing to see such schoolboy defending time and time again. It makes you cringe seeing those last ditch tackles coming in every time there's a PSG attack. Pique showed his liability again. Kept heading the ball down to PSG feet, he might as well have been playing for them as a number 9, feeding their strikers.

3.) Mathieu got creamed. It's crazy how any player with some decent pace seems to absolutely terrorize Barca. If you watch our games, guys with a bit of pace seem to cause a havoc and terror on a level they are unlikely to cause too many other teams. Every time Lucas got the ball, our defence was wetting itself.

4.) I didn't mind the formation, but Alba was an absolute must. He has hit good form, and an in-form Alba is our best defender and one of our better attacking players.

Sasuke85

Personally I would like us to face Juventus in the next round. That would be a greatly entertaining match, because both teams are strong and they follow very different styles.

Please don't get me wrong: Although Juventus is strong, I don't think they are strong enough to threaten us. They are at the just right level to make the match interesting, but not too dangerous for us.

In my opinion, right now there are only 4 teams that have the potential to beat us: Bayern Munich, Chelsea and the ones from Madrid. Fortunately they are not allowed to fight us yet.

sabby

I actually think its good to try a few new things. But of course not with pique if we are going to have a 3 man defence. I think it could be like this -

-------Neymer--------Suarez------
----Iniesta-------Xavi-------Messi---
------------------------Rakitic---------
Alba---------Mascherano----------
--------Mathieu------Bartra------

Mascherano/Rakitic would take their turn in covering RB position with Bartra in support as well. Messi can roam freely as he wishes. If one of Xavi/Iniesta needs to be rested, Rakitic will take his role and Busquets would come at CDM. We'll still need a decent RB though to be subbed in as the DMs would be tired at the end.

MagIX

Blanc (coach PSG): "It seemed that Barcelona's surprising line-up confused their players more than our players." #fcblive

:lol::lol::lol:

Blanc is right.

We had to win and we did it.: without a game concept, without a midfield, only thanks to the talent of individual players.

In defense we must absolutely improve.

Verratti very good player, impressive, and he is only 22 y.o.
Hey Zubi, please do not buy him, we do not need him, as we did not need Kroos, Isco and Modric.

Imo high pressure vs big team like PSG implies too much risk, they have enough quality with the ball, they do not lose the ball easily: that implies that our team is too long and wide, leaving too much space that they have used very well.

L

linetty

B4hqIMECYAED-8h.jpg

So who do you guys we will draw?

Is it possible for us to draw PSG again? Hate to play City again.
I heard we have statistically biggest chance to draw Schalke...dunno how they calculate this shit though.

I wouldnt mind the Germans. I'd also like Arsenal.

Butifarra Eater

Catched an American broadcast on BE-in Sport. Huge mistake. They updated all the other matches in live time with scores. Why do American broadcasts insist on doing this in 2014? They ruin the other matches for tens of thousands (Hundreds?) of us who want to watch the other matches. If I want to know the city score in live time I can Google it on my phone in 3 seconds.

Great result. American media is saying that we were "rescued" by our star forwards but I don't think that is fair. We deserved to win.

I share everyone elses concern of Mathieu out wide, but to be fair to the man himself shares those same concerns- openly. He doesn't want to play LB (or LWB as it is realistically).

Barta had the best game of his short career. Not ready to say he's a fixture going forward but he deserves a very long leash after that performance.

I think we benefited from Dani's absence. No lazy balls out wide that lead to awful crosses; no Dani= barca are forced to do what they do best. Intricate passing in laughably tight spaces leading to chances.

Loved our style, petrified of our defending. But who is kidding who, we haven't been defensively solid in a decade and we have a lot of titles.

Last edited:

kishore680

Iniesta became sub par under Luis Enrique . That injury thing is just an excuse. LE doesn't fucking know how to utilize the midfielders.

Schumi

I heard we have statistically biggest chance to draw Schalke...dunno how they calculate this shit though.

I wouldnt mind the Germans. I'd also like Arsenal.

We have 14.659% to face Arsenal
Same % to face City.
We have 11.116% to face Basel.
Same with Juve
Same with Shaktar
17.981% to face Leverskusen
19.353% to face Schalke.

It all has to do with the fact the there are two German teams that finished top and two that finished second. Also the fact that one English team finished first and another two second. That means that our chances of having to face Germans/English are elevated since the possible combinations for German/English teams is more limited.

Home of Barca Fans