Champions League: APOEL Nicosia - FC Barcelona 0-4

Schumi

And we did it without Xavi or iniesta starting.

In the first Apoel game, we did lots of bad rotations plus we were sluggish. Xavi started that one though.

Tonight, we did our thing, without Neymar, Iniesta, Xavi or Biscuits. It was definitely a good game. But Valencia will be a much more indicative test.

After the Celta loss, I was saying on this forum that we should not be complaining because we played extremely well in that game and the only thing that kept us from winning was simply rotten luck. The team is on a good path I feel.

We have only had two bad games so far in my opinion. Malaga (a) and Apoel (h) Against PSG, it was stupid individual mistakes that cost us victory, plus an excellent performance from the Parisians. Madrid were simply too good for us, and Lucho made some bad choices. Some of our key players were also disappointing in that game. But I would not describe that game as alarming. Against Celta, I thought we were quite awesome, in any case, much better than against Apoel or Sevilla, created more chances than any other game this season, but the ball would just not go in.

beogatts

beautiful barca. we learnt Apoel's moves very quick. the first 10 mins apoel played their best. keep this performance up.
hope lucho studied well.

Autumn

Woohoo!! And to think this is without Iniesta, or Neymar!

The sky is the limit, friends!

Also, that Dani/Messi connection, it's been a while since we've seen it in sync like that! Beautiful, they were tearing up that right wing!

L

linetty

2 great games in a row not a coincidence. Is Lucho finally getting there?

blaugrana1987

There are several things that made us looking good against APOEL. First, Masch in DM position gave us more speed and steel when attacked, but also when in attack. He is faster when sending ball upfront then Busi is.

Second thing, MFs are closer together. Fucking finally may I say. Third, attackers interchanging positions. As I said month ago, the reason for RMs amazing scoring form is in non fixed attack that is constantly rotating. Having Messi in center the whole game with little movement provides opponents to predictably line up defense, nice to see Lucho realizing that AND saying Messi will play everywhere (meaning Ney and Suarez will too).

Fourth, having these kind of players you just have to get results. They need to gel and we are getting there, but had Lucho not rotated this much, we would be looking like this month ago. At least he seems to get it now, so kuddos for him, he needs to continue though.

All in all I was pretty impressed by our play tbh, think this was our best game of the season and Iniesta and Neymar both didn't play.

gatsu

2 great games in a row not a coincidence. Is Lucho finally getting there?

A very good game but i can't help it and ask a very serious question, with Pedro the pressing is way more efficient and Alba can have more offensive impact without the covering of the MF, there is also more fluidity, something that Neymar can't provide.

For the first time i saw a true block and a very equilibrated team, giving freedom to all the 3 FWs (little defensive work) automatically widen our midfield, maybe I'm wrong, we'll see that against Valencia where Ney, Messi and Suarez will be associated again.

Last edited:

beogatts

A very good game but i can't help it and ask a very serious question, with Pedro the pressing is way more efficient and Alba can have more offensive impact without the covering of the MF, there is also more fluidity, something that Neymar can't provide.

For the first time i saw a true block and a very equilibrated team, giving freedom to all the 3 FWs (little defensive work) automatically widen our midfield, maybe I'm wrong, we'll see that against Valencia where Ney, Messi and Suarez will be associated again.

+1. i see it that way too. need to see more of "this" pedro in another game.

BerkeleyBernie

+1. i see it that way too. need to see more of "this" pedro in another game.

It's dependant on Suarez/Messi keeping the positioning they had this game, as well as the midfield being able to control. They did this game, but against APOEL, who really didn't put much pressure far up the pitch on the midfield. Against better, more aggressive, faster, and technical opponents, it's not clear whether Barça yet has the midfield to withstand that pressure.

Otherwise, yes: Pedro may regain some of his finishing form, but even without that, he will press and recirculate the ball quicker than Neymar, which means more of the attack will go through Messi and Suarez. Team will retain more possession and will see less counters without losing any power in attack, and Alves will combine with Messi rather than so many of his useless crosses. Certainly a tactic/lineup that should be used for some opponents.

Home of Barca Fans