Abel Ruiz

Messi983

According to Ferran Martinez we rejected a 2-year loan offer from Sporting Lisbon. Bad decision, Portuguese league would be better for his development than staying in Segunda B though it's questionable how much he would really play there.

Andresito

Staff member
It seems like the issue was never a lack of offers but rather playing time.

Sporting would've been a good club but he'd have Vietto in front of him.

khaled_a_d

According to Ferran Martinez we rejected a 2-year loan offer from Sporting Lisbon. Bad decision, Portuguese league would be better for his development than staying in Segunda B though it's questionable how much he would really play there.

How many years left in his contract? IIRC he has only 2 so that makes sense

Messi983

How many years left in his contract? IIRC he has only 2 so that makes sense

He's under contract until 2021 with a club option for a further 2 years so this shouldn't be a problem. It's probably more about what [MENTION=19407]Andresito[/MENTION] said and we couldn't find a top division club who would guarantee Abel enough playing time.

FC433

He reminds me of Benzema. I just took a quick look at SCP's squad and I hope he gets his chances there.

gregorrin10

He reminds me of Benzema. I just took a quick look at SCP's squad and I hope he gets his chances there.

I know for a fact Sporting is getting my country man Sporar imminently for the striker position as well, and they'll also pay almost 7M for him, he scored over 20 goals in the first half of the season alone, for Slovan Bratislava, and he also scored a few in the Europa League as well, crazy season he's having, so I don't know how many chances this means for our boy Abel, if he's coming in at the same time. What about their other strikers, they must be getting rid of 1 or 2 at least, since they're getting both Sporar and Abel.

FC433

I have never watched SCP play so I am not quite sure but they seem to be playing 433. They currently have two CFs, Luiz Phellype who scored 9 goals in 24 games 1.463 minutes and Vietto *currently injured* who scored 5 goals in 24 games 1.748 minutes.

Let us see how that is going to go.

gregorrin10

I have never watched SCP play so I am not quite sure but they seem to be playing 433. They currently have two CFs, Luiz Phellype who scored 9 goals in 24 games 1.463 minutes and Vietto *currently injured* who scored 5 goals in 24 games 1.748 minutes.

Let us see how that is going to go.

Think maybe Abel could be their backup LW/ST option then, Sporar is a much more in and out striker, so he'll be playing ST for sure, Vietto is not a target man himself, so I think he'll play on the wings mostly, as for Phellype I don't know him so I can't speak for him. But Vietto is quite injury prone, so hopefully Abel gets his chance that way. But on the wings there's also the question if any of their 'technically' midfielders are first choice wingers, probably yes. So at best, Abel is looking at a backup role, either as ST or LW (which he can also play, right?) I think, which is a shame, since he really needs a club, where he can play every game right now, especially if it's only on loan. Would be better if he went to a La Liga club, Granada would actually be fine, but I guess considering their position on the table, they have better players. So maybe Mallorca or Levante, somewhere at that level. A second half of the La Liga table team.

Last edited:

Messi983

He has scored only 6 goals in 40 matches in Segunda B and in total 12 goals in 84 matches. At that same time (19 turning 20) Benz had a total of 6 goals in 40 matches in League 1 (so the same stats but in a better league) but he then made a breakthrough in Lyon when scoring 20 goals in 2007/08 season (he was 20/21 then). We'll see if Abel can improve his goal-scoring in another club/league but I doubt he'll ever score enough to succeed at the top level.

For some reason we just can't produce a #9 in La Masia. Icardi is the best pure striker we produced in the last 15-20 years and he left the club before ever playing for Barça B. The likes of Bojan, Munir and even Sandro all scored more than Abel in Barça B (and even for the first team) and they were not good enough.

Apparently Joelson Fernandes is going to be included in the deal and he is the most promising player they have:

https://youtu.be/YHQDxBbrmFc

Probably just a first option which is mostly useless anyway.

I've read good things about this kid so would be nice if we could get him. Wouldn't mind making a straight swap for Abel but don't think SCP would ever accept that.

[tw]1208823165595660292[/tw]

FC433

^
I meant style-wise not stats. Benzema was definitely better, but I do really like Ruiz's profile and character. He is doing very well with Spain.

Messi983

I know. Was just saying that Ruiz will need to improve a lot if he'll ever want to be at least half as good as Benz (who is underrated imo and was often criticised too much for not scoring enough because he was "playing for CR"). And even that won't be good enough for him to make a career here or in another big club.

Home of Barca Fans