6 - Carles Alena

Nothanks

I'm more and more convinced that valverde is leaning and building towards using a 10 mold behind a striker or strikers
in the current case, messi free roaming whenever he wants takes that spot but alena will probably be the substitute to messi when used in rotations

especially if griezmann comes in the summer, we'd have dembele in the bench so alena isn't coming on for coutinho / griezmann as dembele can play both sides.
and i doubt alena will be used as a holding mid in place for busquets / rakitic / paulinho / arthur (gomes??)

unless messi starts requesting to sit in the bench more next season i doubt we'll see much of alena

messi1995

What is the point in calling up Aleña to the furst team if you are not gonna play him? He skipped a Barca B game for no reason. But yeah okay Aleña's time will come.

Raketa10

Stop panicking, he is only 20 years old and Valverde will focus more on players who are part of the first team and have more experience in the last three months of this season. He was playing in third division until last year, now he is doing great in second division. As much as I am concerned he is progressing as he should at his age.

If Valverde continues neglecting him during 2018/19 season than we can go in full panic mode but until summer than is no reason for this overreaction. His primary goal was to play as much as possible for Barca B this year and he is doing great so far. I am sure we'll see more of him in 2018/19 season especially if Iniesta leaves.

To be fair I can't remember any player who was regularly called for our first team at his age except Messi. I am also sure that our intention is to sell Vidal, Gomes and Denis so they will for sure be above him in pecking order until next summer.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Let's be honest. Valverde's selections indicate that caring for Barca future is not high on his list. Immediate results is what it's all about.

Cruyff, Van Gaal, Rijkaard, Pep had vision and had a big legacy (as managers or players) before taking on Barca so they weren't clinging desperately to build on their resume as Valverde is.

Would be nice to see the most talented kids get minutes but I think we won't see anything genuine before Valverde is gone.

JamDav1982

I think Valverde will give minutes to the younger players in time.

Other than Alena there has not been any really close this season.

Would still rather Alena is main man in B team than being called up to play when game is dead like on Sunday.

Horatio

You're welcome
Let's be honest. Valverde's selections indicate that caring for Barca future is not high on his list. Immediate results is what it's all about.

Cruyff, Van Gaal, Rijkaard, Pep had vision and had a big legacy (as managers or players) before taking on Barca so they weren't clinging desperately to build on their resume as Valverde is.

Would be nice to see the most talented kids get minutes but I think we won't see anything genuine before Valverde is gone.

What about Valverde attending Barca B matches though? With Barca B player saying it was nice to see the coach of the first team watch our games again after 3 years.

Dunno...but it seems Valverde is actually more involved with the club than Luis Enrique.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't mention Lucho with those 4 former managers. Maybe he is more involved.
But let's not shit on Lucho. He is Barcelonista more than pep or many many others. Think he delegated many tasks to Unzue, maybe that was one of those. Played Munir and Sandro. Roberto became starter under Lucho. But definitely too little for 3 years.

MessiDinho10

It’s understandable that Valverde only cares about results this season. Once he’s achieved something in the form of trophies, he can start to build for the future. This doesn’t mean I’m not sceptic though, Aleña should have gotten more minutes by now.

Home of Barca Fans