6 - Carles Alena

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Deulo was sent out and Munir & Sandro stayed. Main reason both played until January was due to Suarez' FIFA suspension, they were then abruptly MIA until summer when Pedro was gone

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Disagree about Munir & Sandro, Don. Lucho didn't have much choice with the ban, loans of Adama and Deulofeu & eventual sale of Pedro.

Agreed. There's not much evidence he liked any of our youngsters and he was the one behind Nolito and Gameiro names.

He simply wants instant results as he won't be here for long.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yep. It's a different approach and for some of us fans, it's not the preferred one. It's not quite the Mou approach but success would still come at the expense of youth development - not something this cule appreciates.

tacticvarium

He played as a RW today to replace Messi.
The 2nd half was more Leicester City game so He did not have much time and opportunities to prove himself
but whenever he was on the ball, to be honest, he was not good.
I remember Iniesta was much more mature and calm on the ball when he made his first-team debut.
Hope he shows better game vs. Liverpool.

God Serena

The 2nd half was more Leicester City game so He did not have much time and opportunities to prove himself
I remember Iniesta was much more mature and calm on the ball when he made his first-team debut.

He was playing as a RW, but he's a midfielder. He was hardly given the opportunity to play his game. Even BBZ recognized he was playing as an AMC theaters instead of his normal role.

It looked like Lucho was just seeing if the kid would work out as a winger, as he could have easily put Alena in midfield and moved Denis up.

tacticvarium

I also wanted to see how Aleñá would perform as a winger now because he played as a LW when he was a kid. (Plus his wonder goal vs. Roma would easily remind people of Messi :) including myself.)
So I was glad that Lucho was experimenting with Aleñá and I am aware there wasn't really enough time to prove anything.
However, nevertheless he had to show more close control under pressure. I was just little bit disappointed with his on-the-ball techniques today.
I have been actively following Aleñá since he was playing for Cadete and I believe he should be more consistent with his ball control skills because sometimes he loses possession often.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Iniesta didn't show that much when he was 18 with the 1st team,just couple of games here and there.
And even up until he was 21 he was solid but not really standout player.
Alena has long way to go,but he is a player who kept improving steadily,a quality that players like Xavi & Iniesta showed.

tacticvarium

I was only comparing Iniesta to Aleñá that his performance was more mature.
I did not mean that he was a outstanding player already among the regular first team players.
I believe Aleñá is the best talent since Iniesta among the midfielder talents.
Hope he reaches his full potential and become a hero.

nibarcafans

I'd heard of Alena a while back as one of the big prospects in La Masia. Saw him playing in the friendly against Celtic and in a recent B team game too, and various other clips of him from other games - this kid really looks the part. Hope he can mature and grow into a first team player here. Already made his first team debut and now a seems to be a B team regular despite still being of age to play for Juvenil A

nibarcafans

From 'barcabstuff' on Twitter:-

The club are working on renewing Alena's contract - current contract expires in 2017. A loan could be an option after this season and several clubs have already expressed an intered, however Barca prefer Alena to continue with Barca B while training and playing with the first team sometimes. Club coaches agree that he has the quality to reach the first team.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
From 'barcabstuff' on Twitter:-

The club are working on renewing Alena's contract - current contract expires in 2017. A loan could be an option after this season and several clubs have already expressed an intered, however Barca prefer Alena to continue with Barca B while training and playing with the first team sometimes. Club coaches agree that he has the quality to reach the first team.

Contract expires next year? Would be devastating to lose our most talented midfielder.

Home of Barca Fans