6 - Carles Alena

fergus90

Seems to be ahead of Pjanic in the pecking order.

I’m glad to be honest, Alena is younger and much fresher. Pjanic was world class but last couple seasons his legs have gone. Last season he was poor but wasn’t sure if it was down to Sarri’s system and his position but I think ultimately he’s dropped a level.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Don't have necessarily an issue with that either. I do have an issue that Busquets is ahead of everyone bar Fdj in the pecking order.

sikkboy

Delighted he got time, he deserves it imo. If we want to play a faster type game then we need players like him on the pitch.

xXKonan

It's probably just me but I think Koeman never cared for Pjanic all that much.

Feels like the only reason the guy played was that Koeman didn't get Wijnaldum and he didn't trust the likes of Alena, Puig, Matheus at the time. I'm starting to think it's not going to work out, after all, despite some of his positive qualities on the ball he just looks like another guy who's legs are gone.

Alena isn't top tier but it seems like he can provide more energy and legs and that's what Koeman wants.

Catta

Pjanic is just not made for a double pivot. He was bought before Koeman arrived, if we still played with a 4-3-3 he would be useful. The same problem Busi and Puig have, but somehow Busi is still playing.

The board made a problem with those overblown transfer fees for Pjanic and Arthur, now the club can't sell him without registering a massive loss.

Porque

I thought Pjanic has been OK-Decent so far and Koeman has been delibrately giving him a lack of opportunities. It is clear that he does not rate the current version of Pjanic too highly.

Koeman has said before that if he has two players of a similar level then he would chose the younger player (or rather he with more potential) and in a way that is commendable. But I prefer Pjanic and getting his best level than playing Alena in pivot. But the difference isn't big right now and I guess that is Koemans thinking.

Gnidrologist

Find him quite awfull. Not counting the garbage minutes against Ferenc particularly. Just his movement and stance seems like a cripple, who is constantly limping and heeling to one side, because of his exclusive one footedness. You can't fucking play on such level, when you're unable to use your weaker foot for even a back pass ffs! He's constantly panicking, when his favorite side is being closed down. That's unacceptable. Not even Rafinha was so limited because of the same problem and he had way more natural talent.

serghei

I think he lacks end product, but his passing, his dribbling, his touches, his speed, his build, all are good. Very good squad player imo. Being a good squad player at a club like Barcelona is not at all demeaning.

People are usually saying X is shit just because they aren't good enough to start. But the reality is there are dozens of more variants between elite and shit. Alena is for sure not shit.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

He's not shit, but i can't get over his one footedness. It's something i never seen in my life and it seems so damn crippling. He would be much above average if not for this. In double pivot he's especially frustrating because of it. Once his best foot is pressed he just runs back to save his ass and passes to whomever is there.

Last edited:

Neeraj

I don't think he's a good squad player either. I'm not one for bashing on people for being average squad players - I thought Digne, Adriano, Keita, Roberto, etc. are all good squad players to have.

Alena just does...nothing. He's the most bang average player and he's been in and around the squad for quite some time now. He's not quick, he's not a great dribbler, he's not a great passer (making 99% passes but only going sideways and backwards is meaningless), he's not a scorer, he's not very physical, he's just not good at anything. While you could theoretically put any average joe in the squad to make the numbers to play lesser games, you might as well give that role to someone who is very young and needs to develop or someone who brings something different. He fits in neither bracket (yes he is young, but he's no future talent).

I would sell him and make room in the squad.

Joan

He is very limited. Would be an okay player if it wasn't for his one footedness. But as it is, don't trust him as a squad player either as he's a liability. Roberto is a fine squad player level midfielder, Alena isn't.

Home of Barca Fans