6 - Carles Alena

Gnidrologist

Same goes for Adama. What's your point? Alena is a midfielder who attacks and creates. Deulofeu is a player who relied purely on his pace to get behind defenders and score. It's like comparing apples to oranges, and following that line of reasoning there isn't a single B team player, including Puig, who will make it here, because they can't even dominate the Segunda the way he did. :rolleyes:
My point is that bringing up lower league performances to base prediction on future of a player is flawed.

BBZ8800

Iniesta played as RW early in his career and excelled, played LW and looked phenomenal, and was used as DM,RWB during Rijkaard das when needed with success.
He was probably the 2nd best dribbler in his generation, top 5 at least.
Style wise I don't get that Iniesta comparison with Puig at all, Puig looks like a clear -CM for me which is actually a good thing- in a Xavi way, not as Iniesta type at all

Plus, I know that some people here are only talking about Puig/Iniesta in terms of style/position.
But on the other hand, some guys probably think that Puig is even talented somewhere close to Iniesta.

A random stat to calm down the hype:
When Iniesta was equally as old as a current Puig (19), he won:
2001: Spain won Euro U16
2001: played at U17 WC
2002: Spain won U19 Euro
2003: Spain won a silver at FIFA Youth WC. He was one of the best players in the tournament.
I personally remember watching those matches back then at Eurosport.

So, Iniesta had 27 youth NT caps, several NT titles, being a key player, being a captain.

I have already wrote once today: you guys NEED a hope, you NEED one La Masia kid who looks like the next big thing.
If there is no one good, you will find someone who will look good.
Till 7 days ago, Alena was that guy. You all cursed at "stupid" EV for not playing him.
And slowly, we will all find out why Alena was not played too much. For a reason...
And suddenly, a few days later, Puig is suddenly a new guy, the brightest hope for the future, which "much better skills/fit" than Alena :rolleyes:

So, ask yourself guys, is Puig really THAT good, or your mind/desires are tricking you?
And you just picked him to calm down your brain?

When you take into a consideration:
1. your brain/desires which are tricking you
2. Puig's physical skills
3. how Iniesta was a leader of all youth NT teams in his age, and Puig has 0 youth NT caps
= maybe it is time to calm down and lower expectations

Otherwise, you will soon just copy/paste desires from Alena to Puig, and in a few Months from Puig (when you will see more of his flaws) to the next suitable guy, probably Oriol Busquets.

khaled_a_d

Plus, I know that some people here are only talking about Puig/Iniesta in terms of style/position.
But on the other hand, some guys probably think that Puig is even talented somewhere close to Iniesta.

tbf I don't think anyone really think Puig will be Iniesta level, Iniesta,Xavi,Messi (and to less extent Puyol) are turning into Barca myth, no one will ever to dare here to say that someone is going to be better or same level.

I don't like judging by youth NT, Busquets didn't make it to Spain youth teams and was for some time rated behind Crosas, there is well documented Cinderella stories in La Masia in Busquets/Pedro along Roberto/Oleguer (the later was Barca starter for some time, despite being more hated than Rakitic he was success here)
Even Puyol was that kind of story.
For me I still rate Alena above anyone else, his pure talent isn't matched in any La Masia kid in the 96-2000 generation IMHO. his biggest challenge is that he loves to move straight forward once we have the ball, that isn't how we play in 1st team but as I said before when Messi plays as false 9 someone like Alena should actually starts as he provides huge tactical advantage. so he can earn developing minutes till he start learning how to build up better.
And yes, people always loves the new flashy toys, but we can't be the annoying old man who keeps reminding them about that everytime
If one of Oriol,Alena,Puig,Orellana,Collado made it as 1st team starter, one as a decent bench player. then this generation is huge success

Danic

A random stat to calm down the hype:
When Iniesta was equally as old as a current Puig (19), he won:
2001: Spain won Euro U16
2001: played at U17 WC
2002: Spain won U19 Euro
2003: Spain won a silver at FIFA Youth WC. He was one of the best players in the tournament.
I personally remember watching those matches back then at Eurosport.

So, Iniesta had 27 youth NT caps, several NT titles, being a key player, being a captain.

I have already wrote once today: you guys NEED a hope, you NEED one La Masia kid who looks like the next big thing.
If there is no one good, you will find someone who will look good.
Till 7 days ago, Alena was that guy. You all cursed at "stupid" EV for not playing him.
And slowly, we will all find out why Alena was not played too much. For a reason...
And suddenly, a few days later, Puig is suddenly a new guy, the brightest hope for the future, which "much better skills/fit" than Alena :rolleyes:

So, ask yourself guys, is Puig really THAT good, or your mind/desires are tricking you?
And you just picked him to calm down your brain?

When you take into a consideration:
1. your brain/desires which are tricking you
2. Puig's physical skills
3. how Iniesta was a leader of all youth NT teams in his age, and Puig has 0 youth NT caps
= maybe it is time to calm down and lower expectations

Otherwise, you will soon just copy/paste desires from Alena to Puig, and in a few Months from Puig (when you will see more of his flaws) to the next suitable guy, probably Oriol Busquets.
Come on BBZ, will u ever stip that teacher bullshit?
He will be that good if given the chance.
The rest of ur post is just waste of time. No said he will be as good as Iniesta. He just is the one who comes closest to him in terms of type+potential.

tacticvarium

It's also funny how the hype is always created by people who don't regularly follow La Masia games:lol:.
These are the same people who hyped Halilović as the next world class or sth.
Aleñá is clearly the best talented midfielder since Iniesta/Fàbregas generation.
He is the one who won the MVP of the tournament the most, has been always the leader for both Barça and youth NT.
Some people think he has been only playing as a AM/CM but he went through the positions like left forward, #10, #6, deep-lying playmaker as well.

God Serena

My point is that bringing up lower league performances to base prediction on future of a player is flawed.

You're the one who said Puig "Makes things happen" more than Alena. A statement that is factually false, based entirely on how they have played all the way up to the first team level.

Gnidrologist

I'm only talking about what they have shown in first team matches so far. And i don't much care about statistics. It's just that you know that something interesting can happen, when Puig is on the ball. Alean is kinda predictable. I'm not sure what kind of role he would play for us in the future for now. Don't get all pissy, i'm not biased against/for one or another, just telling how i see things for now.

God Serena

I'm only talking about what they have shown in first team matches so far. And i don't much care about statistics. It's just that you know that something interesting can happen, when Puig is on the ball. Alean is kinda predictable. I'm not sure what kind of role he would play for us in the future for now. Don't get all pissy, i'm not biased against/for one or another, just telling how i see things for now.

Puig has played exactly one first team match. One. And it was a relatively pressure free situation because it was against a 3rd division team, a team that is much worse than the teams Alena was capable of outplaying on a weekly basis.

Gnidrologist

I'm also judging preseason and i haven't seen Alena in more than 2 and a half matches for first team either. Anyway, i just want to see what he is potentially great at. I clearly see what with Puig, but i'm yet to understand what's Alena's best weapons.

Cule4life

The Culest
Guys before you get your pitchforks out

Alena is 5/10 in experience and Dennis is 10/10
Alena is 8/10 in skill and Dennis is 4/10

Which means Alena=13/20 and Dennis is 14/20
Aka Valgreen was right to play Dennis.

Checkmate Ernie haters. You can't argue with stats.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
If he doesn't start against Spurs, EV loses a medal for me. I hope he didn't play today because EV is planning to give him a start against Tottenham. Can I hope for that?

Home of Barca Fans