6 - Carles Alena

tacticvarium

Wonder how much playing time he would be given in the first team this season since the midfield is oversaturated currently. Few CdR matches would not be enough since even Lucho could afford that.

messi1995

He will bench Gomes, Rafinha, Denis and Arda. Rakitic at his best and Roberto would be the only players he needs to compete with, but I think it wont take long time until he bench them too aswell.

Trickykid

I don't have as high hopes for him tbh. Clearly he's super talented, but he also seems way too wasteful and sloppy in possession for him to ever be an integral cog in our midfield.

Young of course with plenty time and room for improvement, so here's hoping. I won't be surprised, though, if he ends up another could've/should've been from La Masia.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I get what you're saying, but Barca B been a gung hu team last two years so I'll wait to see how he does under a more....Barcelona setup with proper balance and system under Valverde.

He'll definitely get his chances.

Thiago used to be quite wasteful early on too.

He'll have to keep working hard.

Last edited:

messi1995

He's not sloppy. If you have watched Barca B he only had 3 bad games. His vision,passes and ball controll are all fantastic. He lacks being consistent which he can improve at.

Trickykid

Thiago used to be quite wasteful early on too.

He'll have to keep working hard.

How would you guys compare him to Thiago at the same age

I think Thiago's sloppiness looked more of a mental thing back then, than it does with Alena. Thiago always had this natural ease on the ball whereas Alena is another case entirely and reminds me more of Rafinha in regards to his explosiveness and directness.

khaled_a_d

I think Thiago's sloppiness looked more of a mental thing back then, than it does with Alena. Thiago always had this natural ease on the ball whereas Alena is another case entirely and reminds me more of Rafinha in regards to his explosiveness and directness.

Alena look more of a Deco than Rafinha to me. He is an AM who would do his defensive work too.
I honestly has high hopes for him, but he is not a sure thing and surely not ready to bench anyone, people were overrating him last season when they wanted more minutes for him. Even Thiago wasn't getting such minutes at same age.
Alena will need to keep the hard work as Donak said, and he also need to take the next step in his development in the next 2 years. he need to be more consistent on high level

God Serena

Honestly this is the first I've ever heard of Alena being sloppy.

Granted, he's closer to the first team ever, so it's no surprise to see people starting to turn against him. Luckily, Valverde looks to have high hopes in him and is giving him a chance to impress in pre season.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
No, even Navid here I think said he need to improve his close control in tight spaces.

I don't think it's going to be that big of an issue though. Something he definitely can improve if he works hard enough and puts his focus on it.

Trickykid

Honestly this is the first I've ever heard of Alena being sloppy.

Granted, he's closer to the first team ever, so it's no surprise to see people starting to turn against him. Luckily, Valverde looks to have high hopes in him and is giving him a chance to impress in pre season.

Who the fuck are turning against him again?

Wick

People throw this "close control" around all the time expecting new players in the first team to have similar quality to Xavi and Iniesta when it comes to "close control". It wont happen. Stop expecting it to happen, and you will save yourself a lot of headache.

Home of Barca Fans