6 - Carles Alena

xXKonan

I consider him an AM that can be used as a CM in the middle if he is paired up with the right players.

Like using someone like Cou in the middle except he is younger and seems to have an idea where to be if needed. Arthur-Alena was a balanced pair and it worked well because you had the Controller and you had the Attacking Midfielder.

Kinda like the old days with Xavi-Iniesta.

Raketa10

If he can continue to perform like he did yesterday we'll forget about De Jong in the blink of an eye. IMHO he was excellent!

ebieymjunior

I consider him an AM that can be used as a CM in the middle if he is paired up with the right players.

Like using someone like Cou in the middle except he is younger and seems to have an idea where to be if needed. Arthur-Alena was a balanced pair and it worked well because you had the Controller and you had the Attacking Midfielder.

Kinda like the old days with Xavi-Iniesta.

Been saying that for a while now

If, in the future we have
Arthur - Busquets - Aleña
and
De Jong - O. Busquets - Puig
With Roberto as joker

We'd be set in midfield

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on how you define a "CM"

For me, he is always been an AM, and I said it previously here that being a true CM will always be his biggest challenge because talent wise he has ton of it.
He always receives the ball in most advanced place between midfielders, many times even more advanced than some of our attackers, you will find him in opponents penalty area more than others.
That is why I believe when Messi play false 9 Alena is a perfect fit for midfield as he can make those attacking runs for Messi key pass and assists while doing his defensive work
But he needs a bit of improvement of understanding the patience needed for CM, the positioning and keeping outside of the box for longer than he desire.

Should compliment perfectly with Arthur who is more conservative. That Xavi-Iniesta dynamics. :)

tacticvarium

Should compliment perfectly with Arthur who is more conservative. That Xavi-Iniesta dynamics. :)

Except that Xavi in his prime ('05-'12 or '13) was never a conservative player..
You don't need to dribble past 2-3 opponents to be considered as an attacking player.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

Except that Xavi in his prime ('05-'12 or '13) was never a conservative player..
You don't need to dribble past 2-3 opponents to be considered as an attacking player.
He was conservative as he regulated himself into metronome type of player even though he was much more attacking, even b2b earlier. Conservative as in less adventurous, more tactical. That he certainly become post Rijkaard.

YodaMaster

Valverde has a serious problem. In his mind AM = winger.
What's the fucking point of playing this kid on the wing, especially the LEFT wing ?

Nothanks

It's very promising to see he at the very least would be a very good rotational player for us
if he continues to improve he'll be a starter within 2 years.

Home of Barca Fans