6 - Carles Alena

xXKonan

He's going to regret not leaving on loan this season I bet.

Even if Rakitic was sold, he would still have competition from the likes of Arthur, De Jong, Vidal, and Roberto. This year will just be a waste for him as there's no way he will get into the team again at this moment.

soul24rage

At this rate, he's probably not going to play the Copa del Rey games because of the quantity of CMs that we have.

I'm hoping that he goes on loan this Jan. Transfer Window.

EdmondDantes

Even if Rakitic was sold, he would still have competition from the likes of Arthur, De Jong, Vidal, and Roberto. This year will just be a waste for him as there's no way he will get into the team again at this moment.

I think he already has.

xXKonan

According to Canal Sur Radio, Rubi wanted Alena on loan and Alena had seriously considered it but Valverde was the one that didn't want to let him go.

EdmondDantes

Alena to MD:

"No player likes being left out"

The season has barely started and most of our midfielders are already unhappy.

Good luck juggling 7/8 players for 3 spots, Ernesto.

Messi983

He should've been loaned out last season, get regular La Liga experience and then we would see if he could get minutes here this season. Now he'll be 22 in January without playing serious games in La Liga.

We are late at loaning players. Youngsters with any hope of a possible first team future at the club should play First division (preferably in La Liga because of easier adaptation but BL/Eredivise/Ligue1 are better than Segunda B as well) football age 19 or 20 at latest and not waste their time in Segunda B but in the past we usually kept players like Bartra, Montoya and Tello in Barça B until they were 21-22 and then promoted them to the first team. Unsurprisingly none of those players made it. On the other hand we promoted 20 year olds Munir and Sandro to back up MSN who never rested so it was expected they wouldn't get playing time. None of these players had the talent to make it here longterm imo but I still believe playing regularly at a higher level (or playing at all instead of warming bench) early in their careers would help their development and improve their chances to make it at Barça. We made the right decisions this summer with Miranda and Oriol B. so maybe we're learning something but Puig should've been loaned out too. It was his decision to stay though so hopefully he won't regret that.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
1 said:
Ernesto Valverde personally intervened to prevent the release of Carles Alena on loan to Real Betis. The young Barcelona midfielder came close to moving to the Andalusians just days before the end of the summer transfer window. However, the coach blocked the move as he wanted the 21-year-old to remain as one of his many options in the midfield department.

Alena started Barcelona's season opener against Athletic Club but was unable to impress at San Mames and was substituted. After that, he failed to even make the squad in the following two league games which opened up the possibility of him moving out on loan. Rubi, the Real Betis coach, who knows Alena well from his Barcelona days, wanted Alena according to a report by Canal Sur Radio which was verified by MARCA.

Alena was seriously entertaining the offer but Valverde had the final say as he regards the player as part of his plans. It remains to be seen if the youngster will be given opportunities to convince Valverde of his worth once again after his showing in the Basque country, and repay the coach's faith in keeping him at the club.

Im not sure how relaibe this is or if there is any truth to it , but this is fucking hilarious if it is. So Valverde blocks the move because he considers Alena part of the team and then ghosts the dude after one game. And then you also have Alena saying this recently.

"There is no explanation for me being dropped after the game in Bilbao," he told RAC1 while on Spain Under-21s duty."No player likes being left out of the squad."It's a decision taken by the coach."Of course it affects the player."

Weasel Valverde strikes again.

JohnN

Im not sure how relaibe this is or if there is any truth to it , but this is fucking hilarious if it is. So Valverde blocks the move because he considers Alena part of the team and then ghosts the dude after one game. And then you also have Alena saying this recently.

"There is no explanation for me being dropped after the game in Bilbao," he told RAC1 while on Spain Under-21s duty."No player likes being left out of the squad."It's a decision taken by the coach."Of course it affects the player."

Alena has a Point. There is literally no explanation why he was dropped after the game in Bilbao. Sergi performed way worse. And I am not saying he should be dropped to oblivion either.

BBZ8800

My guess would be that EV decided to change things this season due to Anfield and pressure from media and fans.

It is obvious that EV's preferred lineup was Busi-Raki-Vidal.
This season, his pick would have probably been Frenkie-Busi-Raki.

But since the board probably told him that his job is in danger, paired with board's ideas to buy Neymar and sell Raki/Vidal and paired with a hate from fans towards Raki and older players=so, EV decided during the summer that we will see a new Barca.
A faster Barca, a younger Barca.

His new ideas were probably: Frenkie-Roberto-Alena plus Arthur as the 4th guy.

Against Napoli, we played awesome.
And an offer for Alena probably came in those days.
But in that moment, it seemed that a trio from Napoli game is the future.
And EV probably said: I need Alena.

But after Bilbao, he probably figured out that Frenkie is not ready yet to play as a pivot.
Plus that Roberto and Alena aren't that good.

And EV now probably wants to go back to his standard lineup from the last season plus Frenkie.
Busi, Frenkie, Arthur, Roberto, Rakitic, Vidal are all infront of Alena and Puig.

You could say: why is EV changing his mind all the time?
Well, because he is forced to play in a different way than what he really wants.

serghei

Man doesn't know how to play anything else. He is unable to play effective possession football without Messi. He is simply not a good enough manager. Doesn't have enough knowledge, simple as that. He can play other syles, sure, but not Barca football.

FinBarcelonafan

Man doesn't know how to play anything else. He is unable to play effective possession football without Messi. He is simply not a good enough manager. Doesn't have enough knowledge, simple as that. He can play other syles, sure, but not Barca football.

and the guy has zero.charisma. Why the hell would anyone want to run for him? Not to mention overspoiled babies who play for Barca. I think we need someone with some balls. Not Valverde. This team needs a facelift. Like when Pep came in and threw out few big names.. We need the same.

Busi, Suarez, Rakitic gone is a good start. Then maybe Alba If his attitude doèsnt change.

JohnN

On top of letting go some of our big names, we need to trust our younger guys too. This can't happen in one day at this point, because the team hasn't reached rock bottom as it did before Rijkaard and Pep.

As for Alena (mind you, I am not saying he will ever be a WC player), we need to consider that players in general don't reach their full potential at the age of 21. Even Xavi himself, who has a case for one of the best ever, peaked after 24 (he was great even before though, but Xavi is Xavi) and was at his best around 28.

All that said, trusting a player does not mean that he plays half a game and is immediately dropped forever after the team loses, even if he wasn't the worst man on the pitch. He is still inconsistent for sure, but did not cost us the points.

I too believe that FDJ is not ready to cover for Busi at CDM for tough away games and that one of Busi, Rakitic or Vidal has to be in the starting 11 for the experience they provide. Problem is they have to accept having that role and not being the main midfielders in the team.

We can't go back to Busi-Raki-Vidal anymore, as we need to implement changes, even if that takes some time to flourish.

Home of Barca Fans