Lliga: FC Barcelona - Athletic Bilbao 2-0

BerkeleyBernie

Been a while since I saw a ref this bad. He was horrible! But I really liked how we played. We were really unpredictable in attack. Long balls, short passes, use the wings, through balls.. I really enjoyed this match and hats off for Bilbao, really good team.

Hard fought win, but can't say there was much to entertain in this game. Very little of the technical brilliant movement/passing in the final third that is the hallmark of Barça; what little there was, was mostly in Barça's own half, moving the ball out (Iniesta and Alba come to mind). Lots of long balls, most of them overhit. Very few through balls, and, with Iniesta mostly deeper covering Alba's forays forward, Messi pretty much the sole creative force in attack.

I suspect this was Barça's tactical game plan for Bilbao, and it eventually wore them down in the closing minutes of the game, with Messi setting up Neymar with the best clearcut chances of the game, which he finished well (though, to be honest, awfully close to hitting the keeper's trailing leg in the 1v1 goal). A gritty win, and perhaps tactically necessary, but devoid of magic. I hope this type of play will be the exception rather than the rule.

Key takeaway is Barça's improved defensive structure this season, an absolutely essential improvement. That alone may be enough to win the league.

PhilS

The depth at forward is proving just too much for all the opponents. The starters wear down the defense, the subs finish them off.

That was a lot of opportunities that Munir created, he must have had more good scoring chances than the rest of the team combined. It was not his shooting night, it was Neymar's.

All three CBs were excellent. Just like with all his other coaches and teams going back to his early years in England, Masch is chosen to start.

Home of Barca Fans