Douglas Pereira dos Santos

serghei

Dude, what? Both Tello and Montoya do actually suck. Tello is a kick and run player and Montoya can't pass, can't dribble, can't even run with the ball fast without losing it.
Arda is something completely different, many are frustrated he wasn't Iniesta-'light'. He's been alright, but looks like he isn't interested in playing for us or any other club for that matter (as we could see with Turkey is the Euros). We shouldn't spend time or money on players that look like it's a punishment playing for us...

Agreed. It's crazy to compare Tello and Montoya, with a player like Arda Turan, who has made history at Atletico winning the title and being overall one of the best mids in La Liga, with a Champions League final under his belt.

Different players. Tello and Montoya are average players who have reached their plateau and aren't even good enough to sit on the bench according to Lucho. Arda Turan is a great player that is going through a bad period of form and who is maybe in the later part of his career.

Last edited:

Stric

Montoya and Tello aren't the greatest players, but they are still light years ahead of Douglas and Munir, respectively. And they are by far better choices to have on the bench than those two. But see, the posts here only show how eager some are to somehow prove that Montoya and Tello suck more than they actually do. What's in it for you? It seems like the second a player leaves our squad, out of some frustration we have to shit on them as much as we can to prove to ourselves that the players we have now are better and that we're better off without them. You can literally pinpoint the moment in which users start blowing out of proportion how bad a player was.

Douglas is shit, he shouldn't be anywhere near Europe, and Vidal is a segunda level player whether we like it or not, yet are willing to cut them as much slack as it takes, because hey, they're here. The truth is, Montoya was significantly better than both during his time here, but since he's no longer here, he must be absolute shit, and Douglas and Vidal will be beasts next season, apparently.

I'm just saying, people are biased against anyone who leaves the squad, and the more time goes on, the worse their opinion of them gets, based on nothing.

Just go look at Arda's thread. In late May we were all underwhelmed, not convinced, disappointed, etc. Fast forward two months, Arda is the worst transfer in history, he's absolute shit and needs to be sold at whatever cost. Yet FCB hasn't played a single minute in the meantime.

Off season brings out the worst in people.

According to some people here, Messi is having probably the best preseason of his career and is in absolute beast form (before a single minute has been played), judging by two 7-second nutmeg videos on Twitter. And Arda looks uninterested judging by one photo where he isn't smiling.

serghei

Montoya and Tello aren't the greatest players, but they are still light years ahead of Douglas and Munir, respectively. And they are by far better choices to have on the bench than those two. But see, the posts here only show how eager some are to somehow prove that Montoya and Tello suck more than they actually do. What's in it for you? It seems like the second a player leaves our squad, out of some frustration we have to shit on them as much as we can to prove to ourselves that the players we have now are better and that we're better off without them. You can literally pinpoint the moment in which users start blowing out of proportion how bad a player was.

Douglas is shit, he shouldn't be anywhere near Europe, and Vidal is a segunda level player whether we like it or not, yet are willing to cut them as much slack as it takes, because hey, they're here. The truth is, Montoya was significantly better than both during his time here, but since he's no longer here, he must be absolute shit, and Douglas and Vidal will be beasts next season, apparently.

I'm just saying, people are biased against anyone who leaves the squad, and the more time goes on, the worse their opinion of them gets, based on nothing.

Just go look at Arda's thread. In late May we were all underwhelmed, not convinced, disappointed, etc. Fast forward two months, Arda is the worst transfer in history, he's absolute shit and needs to be sold at whatever cost. Yet FCB hasn't played a single minute in the meantime.

Off season brings out the worst in people.

According to some people here, Messi is having probably the best preseason of his career and is in absolute beast form (before a single minute has been played), judging by two 7-second nutmeg videos on Twitter. And Arda looks uninterested judging by one photo where he isn't smiling.

I agree with the idea behind your comment, but not about the players you selected as examples of this tendency you're describing. I think Munir is better than both Montoya and Tello. Lucho also seems to think like that as well, since Barca gave Munir an extension and he basically said directly to Tello and Montoya that he's not counting on them. And Vidal is considerably better than Montoya. He was a starter at Sevilla, one of their better players. That already trumps Montoya's 5 years of rubbing the bench at Barcelona.

It is true that the forum exaggerates a lot, I made the same point in Arda's case. But sometimes, like with Douglas, and Montoya, there is just not enough value present. Montoya went to Inter, played 3 games, came to Betis and they also never thought he was a keeper. He basically changed 4 teams in a year. Barca - Inter - Betis - Valencia. That's a clear sign of an average player. Truth is he is not good enough to sit on the bench for Barca. That's the real situation, it's not a fantasy.

I agree 100% about Arda. Massive overreaction.

Last edited:

Stric

You're ignoring a very important part, and that's contracts. They play a bigger role in these decision than actual performances. If we had signed Douglas on a loan (like Inter did with Montoya), he'd be long gone. Also, if Inter or Betis had signed Montoya permanently (like we did with Douglas), he'd probably still be there. You can't take the context away from the discussion. If the player has a several-year contract, you can't get rid of him just like that. If he's on loan, there's pretty much nothing easier than to get rid of him (which is what you would do unless you're very happy with the player). This is the reason why Montoya and Tello are switching clubs and loans. Because they're being signed on loans. Because few other clubs are as naive as FCB to buy a poor or average player (Douglas, Vidal, etc.) and give him a 5-year contract. Other clubs minimize their risks.

When you say that Montoya is not good enough to sit on the bench for Barca, that implies that Douglas is, and that's just absurd. Everyone knows that Montoya is a better RB than Douglas. It's just that Douglas is here, and he won't leave, so that's why he gets to sit on the bench. Montoya wanted to leave, he's been on two loans already, and that's a huge incentive not to keep him in the squad, especially when we already have Vidal and Douglas who are not leaving. Not because he's not good enough to be a backup.

When you say that Munir has been given an extension, you're ignoring the fact that he's literally all we've got, because we sold or loaned all our other (better) forwards, one of whom is Tello. Tello also wanted to leave, and that's why he's not here. Had he stayed, I'm pretty damn sure Munir wouldn't get a minute next to him.

And you're massively distorting Montoya's transfer history. Firstly, as far as I know, he hasn't been transferred to Valencia yet, and if he does get transferred, that's a transfer for next season. Inter and Betis were one season. Barca was the previous. That's not 4 teams in 1 year, that's 4 teams in 3 seasons.

If you want a good example of a guy who's been switching teams because he's not good enough, look no further than Aleix Vidal. The guy's changed 10 teams in 9 years, and most of those were Segunda teams. But somehow he's good enough to be a starter/backup in Barcelona?

Last edited:

Stric

Of course he did. He was one dimensional, but you could count on him to score every now and then.

You can't view these things without looking at the big picture. Contracts, minutes, wages - everything has an impact, not just performances.

serghei

You're ignoring a very important part, and that's contracts. They play a bigger role in these decision than actual performances. If we had signed Douglas on a loan (like Inter did with Montoya), he'd be long gone. Also, if Inter or Betis had signed Montoya permanently (like we did with Douglas), he'd probably still be there. You can't take the context away from the discussion. If the player has a several-year contract, you can't get rid of him just like that. If he's on loan, there's pretty much nothing easier than to get rid of him.

When you say that Montoya is not good enough to sit on the bench for Barca, that implies that Douglas is, and that's just absurd. Everyone knows that Montoya is a better RB than Douglas. It's just that Douglas is here, and he won't leave, so that's why he gets to sit on the bench. Montoya wanted to leave, he's been on two loans already, and that's a huge incentive not to keep him in the squad, especially when we already have Vidal and Douglas who are not leaving. Not because he's not good enough to be a backup.

When you say that Munir has been given an extension, you're ignoring the fact that he's literally all we've got, because we sold or loaned all our other (better) forwards, one of whom is Tello. Tello also wanted to leave, and that's why he's not here. Had he stayed, I'm pretty damn sure Munir wouldn't get a minute next to him.

And you're massively distorting Montoya's transfer history. Firstly, as far as I know, he hasn't been transferred to Valencia yet, and if he does get transferred, that's a transfer for next season. Inter and Betis were one season. Barca was the previous. That's not 4 teams in 1 year, that's 4 teams in 3 seasons.

If you want a good example of a guy who's been switching teams because he's not good enough, look no further than Aleix Vidal. The guy's changed 10 teams in 9 years, and most of those were Segunda teams. But somehow he's good enough to be a starter/backup in Barcelona?

Neither of Montoya and Douglas are good enough for Barcelona's bench. That's pretty clear for me. Only reason Douglas is here is because he doesn't want to move despite the fact that he's getting almost 0 play-time.

June 2015 - Barca player
July 2015 - Inter player
1 February 2016 - Betis player
august 2016 - Valencia player (almost surely)

That's 4 teams in 1 year and 2 months. I said year, not season.

As I said, Aleix Vidal was a Sevilla starter and one of Sevilla's best performers in the EL winning campaign from last season. Better than everything Montoya did in his career. That's undeniable. Now, I don't think he's that great either, but better than Montoya, who, for me, is the definition of an average player.

Personally, I think Tello showed far more impact in Barça than Munir.

Munir is more talented, less selfish, works harder.

Last edited:

Stric

And Vidal is?

Still, that's 3 teams in a year, not 4. And you're only looking at the calendar year because otherwise it wouldn't support your theory. I don't know anyone else who discusses transfers in relation to calendar years. They're irrelevant.

serghei

And Vidal is?

Still, that's 3 teams in a year, not 4. And you're only looking at the calendar year because otherwise it wouldn't support your theory. I don't know anyone else who discusses transfers in relation to calendar years. They're irrelevant.

Vidal is good enough for our bench I think. OK, you're right. It's 3 teams in 9 months, to be more exact. I don't think it's irrelevant that nobody wants him, and that the club is demanding 0 euros for his transfer, considering he should be in his footballing prime at 25 years old. Barcelona seems to think he's worthless.

Last edited:

Stric

Vidal is good enough for our bench I think. OK, you're right. It's 3 teams in 9 months, to be more exact. I don't think it's irrelevant that nobody wants him, and that the club is demanding 0 euros for his transfer, considering he should be in his footballing prime at 25 years old. Barcelona seems to think he's worthless.

I'm just saying, man, nobody wants Douglas, either. There are many such players. You can't just say "nobody wants him, therefore he's not good". The contract is what makes the difference here. Montoya and Tello could have easily done what Douglas is doing, but they chose not to do so. That doesn't make them worse performers than Vidal or Douglas. If Montoya had chosen to stay, I doubt we'd buy Vidal. If I'm not mistaken, Vidal and Douglas were bought because it was expected that both Alves and Montoya would leave.

serghei

I'm just saying, man, nobody wants Douglas, either. There are many such players. You can't just say "nobody wants him, therefore he's not good". The contract is what makes the difference here. Montoya and Tello could have easily done what Douglas is doing, but they chose not to do so. That doesn't make them worse performers than Vidal or Douglas. If Montoya had chosen to stay, I doubt we'd buy Vidal. If I'm not mistaken, Vidal and Douglas were bought because it was expected that both Alves and Montoya would leave.

I agree with that man, and I never said Montoya is not better than Douglas, just that the difference is not that big imo. I don't think Montoya was considered by Lucho as an option for the RB spot. Lucho had Alves as a starter, and didn't trust Montoya. That's why he tried to look for other players who could play RB in case of Alves' absence, and came out with Roberto, because Vidal was under the ban effect.

Vidal was bought to replace Alves once the ban was over, not Montoya. But Alves had a massive return of form since the winter of 2015 and everybody hoped he will continue to be our starter RB, with Vidal and Roberto fighting for the 2nd RB spot. That didn't work.

Right now we have Vidal and Roberto being the RB options and Douglas on the outs. That could have happened since last summer, in 2015, but we had the ban and Alves remained one more season to help us get through the ban.

Last edited:
M

Messi+Eto

Not going to lie, we all joke about what a terrible player this guys is, but the way this fellow is being treated just ISN'T right!
This is his career being toyed with for goodness sake!
If we aren't going to play him even in pre-seasons then loan him out or sell him.
This is CRAZY!
. . . Okay, back to my senses, just had to let that out.

F

Flavia

Not going to lie, we all joke about what a terrible player this guys is, but the way this fellow is being treated just ISN'T right!
If we aren't going to play him even in pre-seasons then loan him out or sell him.
This is CRAZY!

No, that's all wrong. He's been given options. He didn't want any, because he wants to stay in Spain until he can get citizenship. The club is not doing anything wrong about him or his career. It's his choice to stay. He knows very well he won't get any chances, but his objective right now is not to play. It's to get citizenship. He's been treated well.

Chong Li

Why are people on here defending Douglas?

He's having the time of his life, is getting paid millions while being allowed to share a dressing room and train with the best players in the world.

That's like one of us hitting the jackpot in Euromillions!

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
This is CRAZY!

Toying with his career? The fuck man? He had offers to leave but he wants Spanish citizenship. He made the choice. Let him deal with all the things that come with that choice.

Home of Barca Fans