Russia 2018: Yay or nay?

Should Russia host the 2017 Confed and 2018 World Cups?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulFCB

Banned
USA now wants to include on the list of sanction for Russia the ban to host the 2018 World Cup.

This would be a huge blow for the Russian Federation, since they already started working on stadiums, including demolishing the stands of old communist Luzhniki, not only this, but they are building new stadiums, though some are privately funded, such as the 40k Spartak stadium.

Russia will have very modern stadiums, the opposite of pre-1991 structures with stands very far away from the pitch with many times useless athletics tracks, now many of them will present the seats even closer to the grass than the new ones build in England such as Ashburton Grove.

This comes as an effect of the Malaysian Airlines plane shot down, FIFA insists that they don't care and there's no chance Russia would no host the 2017 Confed and the 2018 World Cup, but it's pretty clear to me, many planes will go to Russia in those summers, filled with supporters of all nationalities, if things don't stop soon, something might be done and the only actual solution seems to be that Brazil will host again 2018, at least that was the plan if Brazil wasn't ready for 2014, South Africa would've hosted again, right? The last host = reserve host AFAIK!

As far as I can see things, Russia will probably host, but there's a chance America will repeat what happened in 1980 at the Olympic games, no presence? Then there is a chance USA gets the 2022 World Cup as Qatar seems to have trouble, then Russia will repeat the 1984 act!

Glory glory Brazil, or is it BRICS deal and Russia just wants new stadiums and gives their economical partner another chance for Messi to lift the World Cup and Golden Ball on Maracana? :troll: :troll: :troll:

Last edited:

Egert

Estonian Culé
Although it would be a chance for me to go to the WC then I am still saying NAY!!!!!

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Planes go to and from Russia every day, and they're completely fine... One got shot down over the known location of militants (that's what it was, right?), so avoid that location. Done.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
It depends. If the Ukraine situation dies down in a couple of years, then I see no reason why they shouldn't host the World Cup. If it doesn't, well, then action can be taken at that point.

Mitchell1978

Off course leave geopolitics out of sport, besides the eu, usa, ukraine are just as much to blame for that whole mess. And lets not even get started about Israël, if we follow the same logic both Israël and the usa should also be banned.

PaulFCB

Banned
It depends. If the Ukraine situation dies down in a couple of years, then I see no reason why they shouldn't host the World Cup. If it doesn't, well, then action can be taken at that point.

You can't just move a tournament 3 months before it's supposed to take place, such a decision must be taken in time, there are only 3 years left till the Confed, let's ignore the Confed, even 4 aren't much, in max 1 - a decision must be taken, a later one might cost a hell lotta money.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
You can't just move a tournament 3 months before it's supposed to take place, such a decision must be taken in time, there are only 3 years left till the Confed, let's ignore the Confed, even 4 aren't much, in max 1 - a decision must be taken, a later one might cost a hell lotta money.

I know that. And in writing the first response, I forgot about the Confed Cup. A decision must be taken by next year, early 2016 at the latest.

Alarcón

I don't see why not. Mixing sport with politics is not a good idea but if we did, the US would definitely be among the countries not allowed to host any major sports event, so this is just plain hipocrisy on their part. Not to mention that they have no right to ban a country from hosting an international sports event, that is something for the governing body of that sport to decide (FIFA). It is a political subject and the politics thread was apparently deleted to prevent such subjects from being discussed on here (I don't know for sure of course) so I'm not gonna go into that any further.

The only scenario in which I would approve of abandoning an already determined location for a World Cup is if a) the civil population suffers as a direct result of said event, b) it is too dangerous for foreigners to travel there during that time or c) there was corruption involved in the process in which the country was chosen. As far as I can see, none of this applies to Russia.

Gooch

Yay for sure. No country is completely clean, including the USA. China hosted the Olympics, for heaven's sake. Iraq invasion was much worse that Ukraine meddling. "Do no harm", is the best maxim, and no one has managed that so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans