Russia 2018: Yay or nay?

Should Russia host the 2017 Confed and 2018 World Cups?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertus

Voted yay because I'm fed up with the USA wanting to be the police of the world and act as if their own history is completely clean.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I might be wrong, but didn't German politicians also call for the World Cup hosting to be revoked from Russia?

Onyi

Voted yay because I'm fed up with the USA wanting to be the police of the world and act as if their own history is completely clean.

Agreed.

The US also shot down an Iranian civilian flight back in 1988, killing all 290 on board. Six years later they were hosting the WC and no one said a thing about banning/boycotting it. This suggestion to ban Russia from hosting the WC coming from the USA is pure hypocrisy.

And unlike the US back then, Russia didn't even shoot down any planes in this incident, even if they originally supplied the weapon used.

Bertus

I might be wrong, but didn't German politicians also call for the World Cup hosting to be revoked from Russia?

Dunno but that's just one part of the problem.

If we start like that then we never should let host anything outside of a little group of countries that believe that they are "the good side" while all the others are evil.

We should have taken back the OG from China for one million reasons.

We should never have let South Africa hosts the WC since this country has rampant racist among the white people and was recordman of rapes per population of women not long ago and maybe they still are.

Oh wait, we should also have skipped the OG in London because according to the french politicians from the left wing the UK is the second coming of the devil (at least in economy).

And i'm not even talking about the WC in Germany since many people from the countries of south europe say that Merkel is Hitler's reincarnation.

Last edited:

PaulFCB

Banned
We should never have let South Africa hosts the WC since this country has rampant racist among the white people and was recordman of rapes per population of women not long ago and maybe they still are.

Or because their national symbol is a communist terrorist that killed innocent white farmers while being financed by the USSR?
Feck, that was long ago, if it happened in 2009, be sure SA wouldn't have hosted anything.

Oh wait, we should also have skipped the OG in London because according to the french politicians from the left wing the UK is the second coming of the devil (at least in economy).

David Ricardo and his disciples still troubling le french anti-globalists much?

This is history, what happens at the borders of Russia is actually happening now, as we're typing, so stop generalizing, there is an ongoing war there, financed for sure by a government that wants to host a World Cup and give us a peace march in just 4 years from now.
It's not about the anti-LGBT rights, the fact they're not NATO allies or BRICS ( where B is Brazil and S is South Africa ) but I for one, do not feel safe to go to Russia right not, as a neighboring country of Ukraine, you can't hear and see anything, but it's just around the corner a burglar shoots a mom and her daughter to steal her 5$ bill.
Imagine this is happening in 2017, March! Because if there's a decision to be taken, it has to be now, we're talking instability, no country would be given this tournament with what is happening now, only it wasn't happening when Russia was chosen, it wouldn't have been accepted as a bid if it happened then...even if it was, let's say, 2008 and the tournament was to be held in 2028.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Best post ever.

As many have pointed out, no country is clean. At least none of the major powers of the world. Only countries like Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland etc. would be allowed to host any sporting event.

And if anything, it is not up to the US to decide for the rest of the world.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
USA shot down an Iranian passenger plane in 88 and didn't even have the decency to apologise long after yet they hosted the WC in 94.

DonAK

The problem is that no one gave a damn about Russia hosting the WC when they won the rights, no one gave a damn about Russia's WC and role in Ukraina during Yanukovych's reign, no one gave a damn about Russia's WC when they annexed Crimea.

Where were everyone then?

PaulFCB

Banned
USA shot down an Iranian passenger plane in 88 and didn't even have the decency to apologise long after yet they hosted the WC in 94.

But but, Iran. Who cares. :troll:

PS: Not Mexico, if you had a war in SoCal, you wouldn't have seen Baggio miss it in Pasadena. :troll: x2

China wasn't at war, it's the most peaceful nation on Earth :troll:.
Human rights? Just kiss the a$$ of the communist party and you have more rights than anywhere in USA :troll:.

/trolling.

You seem to not understand, it's not about geopolitics and what army USA sends in the other side of the world, FFS! It's about a war going on just next to the country that hosts it, the many possibilities that can become reality in the next months-years. You can't just risk to see that in '18 there will be a war over there, a much harsher one that it is now, we're talking one passenger plane shot down now, but the conflict is just beginning it seems.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

The problem is that no one gave a damn about Russia hosting the WC when they won the rights, no one gave a damn about Russia's WC and role in Ukraina during Yanukovych's reign, no one gave a damn about Russia's WC when they annexed Crimea.

Where were everyone then?

Many people did, but what can we do? We're minions. We don't really get to decide squat. But my I guess is if the situation is unstable as it it now, in 2016, they'll change the host.

DonAK

But but, Iran. :troll:

PS: Not Mexico, if you had a war in SoCal, you wouldn't have seen Baggio miss it in Pasadena.
Was pointing towards United State's role in 'boycotting Russia WC' after MH17 was shot down. They should be the last ones to open their mouth tbf.
Many people did, but what can we do? We're minions. We don't really get to decide squat. But my I guess is if the situation is unstable as it it now, in 2016, they'll change the host.
I didn't see many calls of it before now or what we are gonna see from now on.

I would have liked to see people call them out before and not only after the World's wannabe police are starting to make moves. People were okay with Russia back then, but very against Qatar(rightly so).

Im not a fan of mixing Sports with Politics, but yes, if the situation really changes to the worse in the next 1-1.5 years then FIFA should consider their options, but that should be independent from any outside pressure which I guess they should be fine with considering how they backed off all pressure in the 2022 Qatar case.

F

Flavia

Was pointing towards United State's role in 'boycotting Russia WC' after MH17 was shot down. They should be the last ones to open their mouth tbf.

I didn't see many calls of it before now or what we are gonna see from now on.

I would have liked to see people call them out before and not only after the World's wannabe police are starting to make moves. People were okay with Russia back then, but very against Qatar(rightly so).

Im not a fan of mixing Sports with Politics, but yes, if the situation really changes to the worse in the next 1-1.5 years then FIFA should consider their options, but that should be independent from any outside pressure which I guess they should be fine with considering how they backed off all pressure in the 2022 Qatar case.

Sports and politics are mixed up, whether we like it or not. Fifa, uefa, rfef, afa, cbf, etc, are 100% politics, and they govern football, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans