Martin Odegaard

El Gato

Villarato!
Strongly doubt the option to buy. Madrid sources claimed the contrary already too.
Would honestly be worse than losing Achraf for 2/3 of the fee we may have otherwise got for him if not for the pandemic

Morten

Some say he could be going to Arsenal, i dont think thats a good option, Arsenal is not in a good spot.
Hope he picks another club.

mc_lovin

You really have to wonder what Madrids game plan is. And kind of weak from Odegaard as well leaving mid season (if it happens, I still cant believe it).

El Gato

Villarato!
What's weak about it? Club cut his loan short when he wanted to stay in San Sebastian, most likely claiming he'll get game time. Been fit for 1.5 months, played 5 minutes despite a schedule which eased off in mid December. If rumors true, nothing weak I can see about it.

El Gato

Villarato!
Supposedly closer to Arsenal now that Sociedad ruled out a loan. Not selected again for Alaves so his absence certainly is not anything else, it IS Zidane.

Birdy

Com' on Madrid, include a purchase option to the loan.
Hell, this guy is quality, i don't wanna see him long-term at Madrid.
Why don't you let Zidane complete his work and destroy your future players?

Morten

Its official then, he is going to Arsenal.
Wish he had picked different, not sure if that banter-club is a good envioronment for him.
Oh well, best of luck.

El Gato

Villarato!
Fits well with them so doesn't matter if they're a banter club. In fact much better for us he goes there and not somewhere where he'll be benched just as much as here if he is to get football in EL knockouts.

Selfish me hopes he amounts to nothing in London. I feel if he has a good spring Perez will do the same thing as with Hakimi and try to use him to balance the books as he can't sell anybody else and we'll end up with Ceballos coming back to fill the hole until we sign Pogba next winter... Better for us if Martin flops and comes back ASAP

El Gato

Villarato!
So apparently some of the Norwegian media (vg.no) are claiming Odegaard will be earning double the amount in Arsenal (€110k pw) to what he reportedly was supposed to in Madrid according to the numbers reported by the Times at the start of the season (38k GBP pw). I have never heard of a loaned player earning more in a place he's getting loaned to. Is this a precedent?

Andresito

Staff member
So apparently some of the Norwegian media (vg.no) are claiming Odegaard will be earning double the amount in Arsenal (€110k pw) to what he reportedly was supposed to in Madrid according to the numbers reported by the Times at the start of the season (38k GBP pw). I have never heard of a loaned player earning more in a place he's getting loaned to. Is this a precedent?

Could it be that he actually didn't want to leave and the 2m Arsenal paid for the loan will partly (or fully) go to Odegaard?

El Gato

Villarato!
It could also just be a personal enticement bonus from Arsenal. Unless there was a competing club, I don't know what would compel anyone offering a raise to a loanee like that. Just a bit odd and dont remember this sort of thing being reported in recent memory.

I for sure hope Odegaard didn't actually get a raise at Madrid upon return and Arsenal are simply matching the wage (which would be in conflict with that wage reported by The Times).

BarcaOG

Banned
few good, confident touches in his first arsenal cameo. nothing to be crazy about, but arsenal looks a decent place to get some minutes.

(i was cheering for arsenal on behalf of city so i wanted odegaard to have an impact)

El Gato

Villarato!
This is gonna be one busy summer with Odegaard at the centre of it. And Real have to be mad proactive here.

If Borussia do not make CL, they'll have to shift Haaland as more money to make on than Sancho and can't keep both.

That means Real will need 130 minimum. And that's just the fee to Dortmund, not counting Raiola cash.

The budget currently is set at ~80 thanks to sales of Reguilon and Hakimi last summer.
More money needs to be made obviously as the budget is intended to both cover increasing salaries, instalments for completed transfers and any potential new arrivals.
This means the club must sell and Odegaard might have to go as easier to shift than any of the following:

- Bale (max 30M? and that's optimistic + assumes Spurs or the Chinese are suckered into it)
- Isco (max 20?)
- Marcelo (max 15? if anyone is stupid to pay)
- Mariano (max 15?)
- Odriozola (max 15?)
- Ceballos (max 20?)
- Vallejo (max 15?)
- Mayoral getting bought out by Roma for 15 halfway through his loan (price to rise to 25 after 2nd year of his loan)

and maybe...

- Kubo (max 15 + buyback)
- Lunin (max 10 + buyback)
- Jović (max 30?)
- Benzema (max 25 I imagine, Lyon can't afford more and that's the only destination remotely imaginable)
- Varane (max 60?)
- Asensio (max 25?)

+ Lucas leaving on free, Ramos/Varane wage covering Alaba's if he comes

Lots of unknowns and selling Ode is not necessary, but is the easy option since you need to a) convince most others to go, b) count on them receiving desired contract offer elsewhere, c) beg for any kind of fee at all in most cases.
If Real wants Haaland, they must get on the phone NOW instead of faffing for 3/4 of the summer window while somebody else just opens the money briefcase. Even Barca seem to have it easier as can make the money needed on less transactions.

IMO we won't sell as he's Perez personal investment + additional bait to make Haaland come. It'd not look good if we sold his NT teammate just to buy him either. I would hope.

... but it's unsettling thinking how easy it is to cash in on him, go for Haaland, keep say Ceballos for 1 year to patch the gap in midfield, and sign Pogba in 2022.............

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
This is gonna be one busy summer with Odegaard at the centre of it. And Real have to be mad proactive here.

If Borussia do not make CL, they'll have to shift Haaland as more money to make on than Sancho and can't keep both.

That means Real will need 130 minimum. And that's just the fee to Dortmund, not counting Raiola cash.

The budget currently is set at ~80 thanks to sales of Reguilon and Hakimi last summer.
More money needs to be made obviously as the budget is intended to both cover increasing salaries, instalments for completed transfers and any potential new arrivals.
This means the club must sell and Odegaard might have to go as easier to shift than any of the following:

- Bale (max 30M? and that's optimistic + assumes Spurs or the Chinese are suckered into it)
- Isco (max 20?)
- Marcelo (max 15? if anyone is stupid to pay)
- Mariano (max 15?)
- Odriozola (max 15?)
- Ceballos (max 20?)
- Vallejo (max 15?)
- Mayoral getting bought out by Roma for 15 halfway through his loan (price to rise to 25 after 2nd year of his loan)

and maybe...

- Kubo (max 15 + buyback)
- Lunin (max 10 + buyback)
- Jović (max 30?)
- Benzema (max 25 I imagine, Lyon can't afford more and that's the only destination remotely imaginable)
- Varane (max 60?)
- Asensio (max 25?)

+ Lucas leaving on free, Ramos/Varane wage covering Alaba's if he comes

Lots of unknowns and selling Ode is not necessary, but is the easy option since you need to a) convince most others to go, b) count on them receiving desired contract offer elsewhere, c) beg for any kind of fee at all in most cases.
If Real wants Haaland, they must get on the phone NOW instead of faffing for 3/4 of the summer window while somebody else just opens the money briefcase. Even Barca seem to have it easier as can make the money needed on less transactions.

IMO we won't sell as he's Perez personal investment + additional bait to make Haaland come. It'd not look good if we sold his NT teammate just to buy him either. I would hope.

... but it's unsettling thinking how easy it is to cash in on him, go for Haaland, keep say Ceballos for 1 year to patch the gap in midfield, and sign Pogba in 2022.............

- Madrid will be lucky if Bale goes for free and not having to pay anything themselves. Don't forget he's 32.
- If Isco moves I think there'll be a lot of bonuses involved. 10+5 or so. Very unreliable player.
- No one is paying for a 33 year old Marcelo, will leave for free if he goes.
- Mariano moved for 8m as a kind of promising player to Lyon, hasn't done anthing of worth since. 28 y/o now as well.
- Vallejo's MV is 5m. Don't think he's that highly regarded among mid table Liga teams.
- Should be able to get more for Kubo no?
- Don't know how good Lunin is, but if someone pays 10m for him most of the fee is probably because he's playing for Real Madrid.
- Benzema, see Marcelo and Bale. Last year of contract too. 5m symbolic fee maybe.

Home of Barca Fans