Barça signs Jérémy Mathieu

F

Flavia

Jérémy Mathieu will sign a contract with FC Barcelona for the next four seasons, plus an optional season more

1000x410_MATTHIEU_v02.v1406111242.jpg

FC Barcelona and València CF have reached agreement for the transfer of the French player, Jérémy Mathieu. Jérémy Mathieu will sign a contract with FC Barcelona for the next four seasons, plus an optional season more. The cost of the transfer is 20 million Euros and the buyout clause will be 50 million Euros.

Versatility on the left of defence

Mathieu (Luxeuil-les-Bains, France, 29 October 1983) is a physically imposing defender who can play in various positions at the back. He’s 1.92 m tall, has excellent positional sense and is skilful with the ball at his feet. And he is also impressively strong in the air. Until recently, he was considered a natural left-back, but of late he has tended to feature more regularly in the centre of defence.

F

Flavia

Mathieu: "I'm very proud to be in Barcelona. Barça is the best club in the world and joining them is a big chance for me." [fcb]

Mathieu: "The club knows my game and I'm here to help the team. I'm ready to be the centre back Barcelona is looking for." [fcb]

BtO6tPYCUAADXMC.jpg

Icarium

Lifestealer
So that means no more CB's coming. So our transfer window closes now unless we decide to go for cuadrado.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Bertus

Mathieu: "I'm very proud to be in Barcelona. Barça is the best club in the world and joining them is a big chance for me." [fcb]

Mathieu: "The club knows my game and I'm here to help the team. I'm ready to be the centre back Barcelona is looking for." [fcb]

Beside his qualities on the field, Mathieu is a good guy from what people who personally know him say, and from what his ex teammates he had during his career say. He's highly praised here since this morning.

You won't have any problem in the dressing room from a person like him. That's also a plus.

King5Puyi

Let's hope he turns out just fine.

Welcome and Wear those colours proud. What number is he going to be wearing?

MagIX

Reasonably happy me too.
Price, age,….. ok, not that great, but the problem is there are no CBs on the market, he is a good temporary solution: maybe next year there will be more opportunities (and cash) to invest in a great CB.
But SURE 1000% better deal than Suarez deal.

Perseas

Maybe a good signing but he absolutely is NOT worth 20mil... I guess the term "negotiation skills" is not one that Zubi and the rest of the administration are renowned for. It is a fact that a huge part of the price level of a player is formed depending on how much the other team wants them. And everyone knew we wanted him bad, because no-one made a preemptive move last year... So the price skyrocketed...

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Maybe a good signing but he absolutely is NOT worth 20mil... I guess the term "negotiation skills" is not one that Zubi and the rest of the administration are renowned for. It is a fact that a huge part of the price level of a player is formed depending on how much the other team wants them. And everyone knew we wanted him bad, because no-one made a preemptive move last year... So the price skyrocketed...
The thing is Valencia didn't want to sell. They know we need a cb or two. So they have the power in this deal. At least they didn't pull an Athletic and force us to pay the taxes too.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
Stop blaming zubi and co. They did everything they could to pay less. It is finally settled with player taking a pay cut. In the end it will cost the same thing. They also made great signings like mats halilovic and rakitic for fairly very less amount. I dont see where all this fuss coming from, we paid 5-6M extra not 30-40M extra. In this inflated market it is inevitable. Age different matter, he brings much needed experience to the squad. It sucks that we could not buy a promising young CB but it is not troublesome. We have our own talents in the academy, we can hope at least one of them makes it.

Home of Barca Fans