Bundesliga

Who will win the Bundesliga this season?

• Borussia Dortmund

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stuttgart

• Other

• Total voters

serghei

It does. Not particular in this game which was meh by Bayern, but when it mattered and the squad was fit it did work.

Don't know about that. I think PSG had the better chances in the CL final for example. Bayern is impressive in particular with how many goals they can score against a weak opponent.

Yannik

Don't know about that. I think PSG had the better chances in the CL final for example. Bayern is impressive in particular with how many goals they can score against a weak opponent.

PSG was playing almost the same system. Only Neymars chance really came from a quick long ball. CL final was both teams outpressing each other, but PSGs intensity was gone after 30-40 minutes and they lost countless balls in their own half before and especially after that aswell.

serghei

PSG was playing almost the same system. Only Neymars chance really came from a long ball. CL final was both teams outpressing each other, but PSGs intensity was gone after 30-40 minutes and they lost countless balls in their own half before and especially after that aswell.

Bayern didn't have much intensity in pressing either. It was a rather dull final imo, which is why they created so few chances. Anyway, not the best example because Bayern were obviously altering their gameplan to block PSG's serious firepower on the break.

Yannik

Bayern didn't have much intensity in pressing either.

But first half was very pressing intensitive with both teams loosing countless balls in their own half, and that did lead to Mbappe and Di Maria's misplaced shot, Lewy hitting the post and heading it at Navas from 5m out. It was the 1-0 that calmed the match down for the remainder of it.

serghei

But first half was very pressing intensitive with both teams loosing countless balls in their own half, and that did lead to Mbappe and Di Maria's misplaced shot, Lewy hitting the post and heading it at Navas from 5m out. It was the 1-0 that calmed the match down for the remainder of it.

Imo, it was more a result of both teams being more cautious and worried of the opponent's firepower. It was more of a stale game imo, than a match of insane pressing from the two teams. Maybe the no fans atmosphere gave that impression but that's what it seemed to me.

Yannik

Imo, it was more a result of both teams being more cautious and worried of the opponent's firepower. It was more of a stale game imo, than a match of insane pressing from the two teams. Maybe the no fans atmosphere gave that impression but that's what it seemed to me.

I mean "cautious" would mean that they'd rather slow the game down and do not try anything fancy, but I don't see that that was the case.

You saw on both sides Davies and Kehrer getting constantly flooded by opponents and forced to errors. It was a destructive game, meaning that end-to-end stuff wasn't happening because it took like 5 minutes and either Thiago or Herrera until the ball even went onto the other half of the pitch. But that wasn't part of anyones gameplan or cautiousness, it was just very difficult to play it out of the back. Actually PSG pressed even a bit more than Bayern in the first half, but Bayern kept the intensity up for 90mins whereas PSG really dropped off.

Anyway, you can also see it in the games vs Atletico, Barca, Chelsea or Tottenham. British pundits have been banging on about "abusing the highline" for months as if noone ever had the idea. But Liverpool plays a highline aswell and dominates that league.It's as much of a weakness, as it is a strength in this current pressing META and these longball statements are basically "ideal fantasies" that seem so obvious and seemingly easy to exploit, yet realistically the teams end up running into a trap 95% of the time when they attempt that.

It sounds so easy and obvious in theory and when we talk about it in online posts. "They stand so high. Just lob the defense". But its not like managers are idiots who don't think of that type of stuff for whatever reason. It simply isn't as easily applicable in real life scenarios, as it is in grey theory in a SkySports Studio debate.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans