Press conferences/interviews

I

instinct

Date: 25.07.14
Player: Andres Iniesta

tempfile.v1406278173.jpg20140725-5785-v1s3uz-0

---

Iniesta: "We have the same objectives as every season. I have a good feeling about this season"

Iniesta: "It might be a similar situation to when Pep arrived. It's really all about working really hard to achieve what we achieved before.

Iniesta: "Midfielders love having someone great to pass to. Suarez is a great signing for this season and the future"

Iniesta: "It's wonderful that Xavi is staying. I am just really happy he is here. He is so important and significant"

Iniesta: "We know the qualities of Mathieu and Rakitic. They are two players who arrived to the club to help us achieve our objectives."

Iniesta (about captaincy): "It is very nice to wear the armband. But really it doesn't matter. It's all about the team as a whole."

Iniesta: "All I can say about Suarez is that he is a tremendous talent. The club will deal with other matters."

Iniesta (about Messi): "I don't like to point out a player. It's more about the team. I never doubted Leo. A bad Messi game is still great."

Iniesta: "Mascherano could be a very great captain. Again it's all about the group."

Iniesta: "Everybody here is working to improve the team. Last season, we had a bad season. I do believe the team is better now."

Iniesta: "Every season there are ups and downs. The world cup wasn't good. I am looking forward to getting things right this season."

Iniesta: "Halilovic is a very quality player. He is the kind of player that Barca looks for. He's skillful and very young."

Iniesta: "Luis is my boss now. He is the first player of the first team who I spoke to when I started. I shared a lot with him."

Iniesta: "We start from zero. There have been many changes, but we're all extremely motivated to win again and to again enjoy as a team."

Iniesta: "Leo is coming back soon. I don't know about Neymar's fitness. Let's hope they come back directly into the rhythm."

Iniesta: "Valdes still without a club? I talk a lot with him. He told me his recovery is going well - that's the main thing."

I

instinct

Date: 29.07.14
Player: Ivan Rakitic

BttwhLqIIAA0hOv.jpg

---

Rakitic (on Halilovic): "Everyone will enjoy watching him, fits the style and has impressive speed"

Rakitic: "Luis Suarez is one of the best players in the world, I hope he is with us soon"

Rakitic: "Neymar, Suarez & Messi are 3 of the worlds best players, but the team are not only those 3 players"

Rakitic: "Xavi staying is a great thing to me and to the club because he is a symbol of Barcelona"

Rakitic: "I played as a pivot and attacking midfielder, Im available wherever the coach wants me"

Rakitic: "The difference here is you must always perform to the maximum. I'm enjoying and improving, every day I learn something new"

Rakitic: "Halilovic is comfortable here, he's learning a new language I try to be like a brother to him"

Rakitic: "I don't like giving promises but we will try to win everything from the start"

Rakitic: "The methods here are the same as Sevilla but the intensity is higher"

I

instinct

Date: 30.07.14
Player: Pedro

2014-07-30_ENTRENO_137.v1406725308.JPG

---

"I'll work as hard as I can to help my teammates and put in a good season"

''The Club has confidence and faith in me. I’ve worked under Luis Enrique before, he knows me and he knows what I can bring. That was important in keeping me at the Club which has given me everything”.

“The common objective we all share is to put in a good season. The boss will decide who plays each particular game.”

“I’ve learnt a lot from all of the big names. Luis Suarez is a great player and I am sure I am going to learn plenty from him”.

“I feel comfortable in attack, but if the coach wants to use me as a full back, I’ll try and be 100%”.

(about St. Georges park) “It’s incredible. The grass is very good, the temperature ideal for training, the rooms are very comfortable and there’s a lot of space for us to relax in''.

Luis Enrique knows what I can bring.”

"No training this afternoon? I think I'll just sleep. We're working hard, in fantasitic facilites, much better than going a tour."

I

instinct

Date: 31.07.14
Player: Gerard Pique

Bt3wpqgIEAA8x7-.jpg:large

---

"Im eager to begin''

"The main reason why I left England is because Barcelona came knocking, the club of my life"

"Mathieu is a great signing. He's tall, but fast. Tough, but also has a good pasing game. And left footed, which is what we needed."

"He is a very good player, he shouldn't have any problems trying to adapt to Barcelona"

"The level is very high, we can't expect to create new players every year from La Masia, but if they work hard then they can make it"

"Right now I don't see myself as being one of the best CBs in the world. I was once, not anymore. I didn't play a good WC either.''

"You have to be one of the top 3 if you want to play for Barça. I think I can get back to that level and that is what I'm working for."

"I think Luis Enrique can help me with that, I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe this."

"With the new manager it's a great challenge to get back to the Pique I used to be"

"Suarez is having a hard time, when he comes back he will be so anxious to show why he is one of the best players in the world"

"Van Gaal had a really good relationship with my Grandfather, I went his house & he pushed me to floor & said I wasn't tough enough"

"I hope Cesc Fabregas is very happy at Chelsea"

"Last year we were lose to winning the cup and La Liga, however, we have great ingredients at this club to win things"

---

thanks uMirin for the quotes!

F

Flavia

Date: 02/08/2014

Quotes after the friendly against Nice:

Luis Enrique: "In the first half, we couldn't find the space, although there was space. In the second half, we created more chances."

Luis Enrique: "We'll explain every player individually what he should do better."

Luis Enrique: "Xavi to stay the whole season? That's what I would like, that the players who start the season stay until the end."

Luis Enrique: "It's great news that Xavi is staying. He's really doing well, both physically and mentally. He played a great half."

Luis Enrique: "We continue working on transfers, some positions should be strengthened, club knows it, we're not in a hurry."

Luis Enrique: "Ter Stegen played whole game? Bravo and Masip will play next two friendlies. Didn't yet decide who'll start in the Liga."

Samper (Barcelona B): "I felt really comfortable on the pitch, I'm very happy with my game."

Deulofeu: "Difficult game but in the end we could equalize. We have to keep on working hard. Happy with my game, but would have liked a win"

Bartra: "Personally I felt good today. Happy for Mathieu too, that he made his debut and can bit by bit adapt to the team."

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Gerard Deulofeu

“It was a difficult match” he said afterwards. “We drew, but we had chances to win.”

He was impressed by OGC Nice but also pointed out that “they have been training for longer than us”.

On Luis Enrique, he explained that “the boss has asked us to work on defensive duties. I find it hard, but I think I’ll manage if we keep training every day. We all know that Luis Enrique has very clear ideas and that’s what he gets across to us.”

Marc Bartra

“Personally I felt great.”

“I’m happy for Mathieu and his debut. It’s important for him to adapt quickly.”

“Xavi has already shown that he can carry the team. He helped a lot today.”

“I’m sure we’ll gradually get better and better.”

Sergi Samper

“I felt comfortable went I went out onto the pitch. I’m happy.”

“Sergio Busquets has always been my role model. I’m trying to learn all I can from him. I was watching him in the first half.”

“I think we improved in the second half.”

“We all know Xavi. It’s incredible to play next to him.”

“I think Halilovic will be a fundamental player.”

From the official FC Barcelona website

I

instinct

Date: 05.08.14
Player: Xavi Hernandez

BuRHuDNIUAAuzfQ.jpg

---

Xavi: "I ended the season in a bad way. Didn't feel useful when I was benched at Barça and ESP. I decided to quit and start something else"

Xavi: "I took that decision too quickly and after talking with Zubizarreta and especially Luis Enrique I have changed my mind."

Xavi: "The stories about this being an economic decision are not true. It's a football decision, I feel useful and I think I can comepte."

Xavi: "Luis Enrique is really the key person in this story. We've talked openly. I start from zero, with the same chances as the others."

Xavi: "I have decided to retire from international football. I'm grateful for all those years. It has been a fantastic time."

Xavi: "Will I be captain? It'd be an honour to replace Puyol. This morning, we have voted. We'll see what the result will be."

Xavi: "Luis Suarez? Spectacular signing. One of the world's best strikers. He had an incredible season at Liverpool. I know him, great guy."

Xavi: "I'm not 20 years old anymore, but I still have the motivation of a kid."

Xavi: "Alves? He's one of the best right backs in the world, if not the best. We'll see what the club decides.''

Xavi: "The people close to me are happy that I stay, my mother in the first place. My family and friends are all true Barça fans."

Xavi: "I have a contract for two more seasons, in that perspective nothing has changed."

Xavi: "I've been benched now, might be easier to accept it the season. Luis Enrique talked clearly. I'm here to help the team the way I can"

Xavi: "Psychologist in new staff? Think it's important, mindset is key is football. It'll help us a lot. All teams will have one soon."

I

instinct

Date: 06.08.14
Post-match reactions (Game vs Napoli)

2014-08-06_NAPOLES-BARCELONA_11-Optimized.v1407354830.JPG

---

Luis Enrique: "Alves? He's a player from our squad, and a good one too. I'm delighted he's at Barça. We didn't talk about his future."

Luis Enrique: "Good game, a pity from the little mistake at the end. I saw improvement. I think a draw would have been fair."

Rakitic: "Bravo fail? Those things happen in football, apart from that, he played a good game."

Rakitic: "This has been an important game for me. I need time to adapt, but I feel more comfortable every day. I want to keep on improving."

Luis Enrique: "Deulofeu only playing 15 minutes? I'm happy with what he brings in attack, but he has to do a lot more in defense."

Bravo: "Decisive mistake? Those things can happen if you're a goalkeeper. I know what I can, I'll keep on working hard."

Luis Enrique: "Afellay and Song? We'll see what happens. I've been clear, we have to find a solution, but they are Barcelona players now."

Luis Enrique: "Interest in Juan Cuadrado? I dont like to talk about these things"

____

quotes from barcastuff

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Sergio Busquets

“I am happy and proud to have been named among the captains. I learned a lot from Puyol and Valdés and want to continue learning from the players that are still here.”

“It’s not just about the coin toss” he insisted. “You have to keep an eye on everything, be a good team-mate, and take responsibilities … I never imagined myself in that role.”

“This is a charity game and we’ll do all we can to make sure that the people see a good show”

Martin Montoya

“I think he’s the ideal manager” (Re: Luis Enrique)

“As a player he was tough, made sacrifices and showed character. And he still transmits that. He’s got ambition and the desire to keep winning trophies.” (Re: Luis Enrique)

“Tactically things are very similar to what we did in other seasons … But we the full-backs push further forward and the wide players move more into the middle and perhaps a bit deeper this year”.

"Alves is the best full-back in the world so I’ll be competing with him but also learning from him"

Quotes from the official FC Barcelona website

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Ortolá: “The three goalkeepers will fight for one spot.”

Barcelona B is almost a new team this season, with lots of new players coming in. Goalkeeper Adriá Ortolá (20) is one of the players who were with the team last season, and the only goalkeeper retained in the squad, following the exits of Miguel Bañuz (released) and Jordi Masip (promoted). Former Juvenil A keepers José Aurelio Suárez and Ondoa have joined the goalkeeping squad, and Ortolá has confidence in both. In an interview with Barça TV and the FCB official website, the Jávea-born goalie spoke about his views on next season. Read the full translation of the interview after the jump.

Speaking to Barça TV, Adriá Ortolá seemed content with the fierce competition to be the starting goalkeeper. “Competition is healthy. We are doing our job, firstly to help the team, and secondly to do things well for ourselves.”

Despite the fact the the team is full of new faces, Ortolá is confident that the team can still hit the heights of last season, when they finished third. “The team has a lot of desire to compete and to repeat what we did last year. It is a goal for everyone.”

Barcelona B may have a squad full of new faces, with many players still training with the first team, but Ortolá believes that the training camp in Torremirona has allowed the players to get to know each other. “The new players have adapted really well. The companionship we are building up here is going to be very good.”

Source: fcbarcelona.es / Video Credit: FC Barcelona

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Date: 09/08/2014

Munir

"I am very happy with my two goals”

“And I’m happy with the team and how the game ended. I’ll keep working hard and if things go well, I’ll be scoring plenty more goals"

“From now on, I’ll be fighting to get as far as possible”.

“He's a great team-mate. He’s such a good player, but it’s the manager who’ll decide. Luis Enrique has asked me to carry on working and that’s what I’m doing.” (Re: Deulofeu)

Masip

“The boss has told us not to worry. Just to work hard. He’ll decide who the first choice is”.

“The three keepers are well-matched. I really think if I keep working hard, I can make things difficult, but for the good of the team. I’m very happy, excited about things and eager to compete”

“You get over these things quickly” (Re: Bravo's error)

“Although I didn’t have much to do, you always have to be ready. They can score a goal if you make the smallest mistake”

Bartra

“I’m very pleased with how things have started and excited about the way they are going. We’re fit and there’s a great relationship between the players”

“From my point of view, I am better in every aspect this season. I’ve been excited since the first day”.

“There will be competition, but that’s very good for the team. We all have to be 100%”

Quotes from the Official FC Barcelona website

I

instinct

Date: 10.08.14
Participants: Thomas Vermaelen, Andoni Zubizarreta and Jordi Mestre

2014-08-10_PRESENTACION_VERMAELEN_34.v1407672594.JPG

---

Vermaelen: "I'm happy to be here, look forward to play with the best players in the world. I hope to get better working with them every day"

Vemaelen: "I had a short chat by phone with Luis Enrique, about where he sees me playing. We'll talk longer tomorrow."

Vermaelen: "Ex-teammate Luis Suarez? He's a great player. I know him from Ajax and he's a delightful person. Looking forward to meet again."

Vermaelen: "Man United interest? It was easy to choose. I wanted to join Barcelona, this is one of the best clubs in the world."

Vermaelen: "Currently injured? I didn't train with Arsenal after World Cup injury, I will need some weeks to get fit, don't know how many."

Vermaelen: "Preferred position? At Arsenal and Belgium I've played at left back too, but I prefer to play at centre back."

Vermaelen: “Opinions on Bartra-Piqué-Mathieu? They're great players. Seen them play last couple of years. There's big competition to play.”

--

Zubizarreta: "Transfer of Afellay has been confirmed now. We wish him all the best, he's a great professional and a great person."

Zubizarreta: "We keep on working until 31 August. We want the best possible squad. If we can improve the squad, we will."

Zubizarreta: "Alves is a Barça player, he's training normally. Anything can happen in football, but at this moment, we don't consider exit."

Zubizarreta: "Vermaelen had offers from some of the best clubs in the world, it shows his talent. We're grateful he chose to join Barça."

Zubizarreta: "Cuadado signing possible? Won't talk about concrete names, but we keep on working to have the best squad on 31 August."

Zubizarreta: “We've no doubt about Thomas' physical condition. We've the best medical staff in the world, that'll look after him.”

---

quotes from barcastuff and fiaz hamsath

I

instinct

Date: 11.08.14
Player: Andres Iniesta

Note: This not a usual press conference after training. It's from a sponsoring event.

pic_2014-08-11_ACTE_INIESTA_012.v1407762356.JPG

___

"Little by little we're grasping what the coach wants from us, The preseason is helping to get us back into shape"

''Nothing has changed, just that it’s a different coach with new ideas. It’s a matter of adapting and doing what the coach thinks is best to get the team to work”.

"We are training hard”

(about the number of pre-season games): “I think it’s better this way, especially with so many new people. This way we can learn new concepts. It’s the perfect formula for a preseason. Let’s hope it’s right and that we’ll play better for it''.

''Luis Enrique is a demanding manager but almost all the work we do is with the ball. It’s nice to work on tactics that way. The important thing is for the players to believe in the manager, and in that respect, we all have total faith”.

(about Neymar): "It’s never easy to adapt, but he’s a very young player who’s very important for his national team and so he’s used to dealing with this kind of pressure. We’re hoping for the best for him because he’s good enough to make history at Barça".

(about Messi): ''After a year that didn’t go so well, he’s just as keen and enthusiastic as we all are this season. He has that eagerness that we all have after a bad year”.

(about Suarez): "He’s dying to start. It’s very important for him to be with the squad, the sooner the better”

(about Rakitic): ''We all knew how good he is. I’m delighted that he’s joined our team with the single target of winning titles. He’s a spectacular player in midfield. He’s strong, and masters the ball with both feet. He’s a very complete player. Barça got it very right when they signed him.”

"All the players have to feel implicated and important. We have a healthy group and things are going the way they should”.

(about Valdes): "He came to a cruel end. I really felt sorry for him. I know his knee is improving and hopefully he’ll be back on the pitch very soon.”

___

quotes from fcbarcelona.com

I

instinct

Date: 17.08.2014
Participant: Luis Enrique

pic_2014-08-17_ENTRENO_85.v1408293427.JPG

---

“I’m delighted by the motivation and ambition shown by the players in training. That makes me very optimistic...These session have been more intense and tougher than I expected because of their capacity for sacrifice. I’m 100% optimistic the fans will enjoy what we do"

“In some of the double sessions, our work rate has almost been like a real match”.

(about Deulofeu) "I knew that he wouldn’t get the playing time here that he needs to progress. So I believe it’s better for him to go out on loan to have more playing time and demonstrate that he has a place in this Club".

(about Messi) "He’s such a good reader of the game so we mustn’t close off any opening that he sees on the pitch. He has complete liberty of movement in attack”.

(about Mascherano) “We’ll see him in both positions during the season”

“We’re looking for ferocious competition. The team will grow because of this competition".

“From now on we’ll be demanding the level we need to impose this season”

(about Suarez) "The impression is that he’s a top class player. He reads the game well and understands our style”.

(about players from the B-team) ''There are some top quality players there. It goes without saying that we’ll have to give them a hand. I love using young players with talent, and they are top rate. There are quite a few with quality"

Home of Barca Fans