Semifinal: Netherlands - Argentina 0-0 (2-4 pk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flavia

Arena de Sao Paulo - Sao Paulo (BRA) - 09 Jul 2014 - 17:00 Local time (21h BST, 22h CEST)

ned.png
Netherlands - Argentina
arg.png

Head-to-Head
Total Matches Played: 8

NED: 4 wins

Draws: 3

ARG: 1 win

Total Goals scored: 19
NED: 13
ARG: 6

Argentina without Di Maria for this match. Rojo could be back. Netherlands with a full squad.

zanela

Thanks for the thread, Flavia. I was hoping you'd inaugurate it. :)

I don't know if I can contain my nerves to watch this. I might opt for a match commentary instead. And if/when ARG is winning, prob catch a few glimpses from behind the sofa. :p

B

beautifulgame

Don't be such a coward Zanela ;-)

See you've come around to Sabella too? Nice to have you on the same side

Egert

Estonian Culé
Well, I hope I can watch this match. This is so hard to watch it and even harder not to watch. I hope Leo carries Argentina to final!!!!

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
Nigel de Jong will be hugely missed, I think. Blind's not a good CVM at this level. This will be a close one. Without Di Maria, Argentina lacks a linking midfielder, but they've still got individual class up front in abundance.

I think Van Gaal will revert to the 5-3-2 formation. I guess Blind will be CVM, but Clasie's an option as well, should Blind be needed as a LWB instead of Kuyt. Janmaat has fallen out of favour, so Kuyt could be used as an RWB again. De Guzman is not a natural holder, so I don't think LVG would use him to mark Messi. I hope Vlaar will be fit to start, he's been immense at the back for us.

zanela

Don't be such a coward Zanela ;-)

I won't lie, I'm quite the coward when it comes to my favs. I've a weak heart.
2eoun12.gif

See you've come around to Sabella too? Nice to have you on the same side

Yeh, I was never really averse to him. Just frustrated over his Estudiantes-fixation, and Romero preference. But he got over the former, and his boy has been alright I guess. He's such a nice man, and I've followed his journey from day one (friendlies, the late-night qualifiers, press conferences) To know that it's finally come to an end (hopefully to a glorious one) makes me miss him already. :(

Alik

Nigel de Jong will be hugely missed, I think. Blind's not a good CVM at this level. This will be a close one. Without Di Maria, Argentina lacks a linking midfielder, but they've still got individual class up front in abundance.

I think Van Gaal will revert to the 5-3-2 formation. I guess Blind will be CVM, but Clasie's an option as well, should Blind be needed as a LWB instead of Kuyt. Janmaat has fallen out of favour, so Kuyt could be used as an RWB again. De Guzman is not a natural holder, so I don't think LVG would use him to mark Messi. I hope Vlaar will be fit to start, he's been immense at the back for us.

Do you think Wijnaldum is going to play? (Need to know for my fantasy team :D)

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad Messi has to lead one of the worst teams Argentina ever had. And now even without Di Maria.

Netherlands are somewhat off thier usual talent but they are an industrious team and look more hungry than the Argies.

Heart says Argentina but I'm afraid it'll be a hard night for Messi and co.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
Do you think Wijnaldum is going to play? (Need to know for my fantasy team :D)

Yes, I think so. LVG has favoured him instead of De Guzman lately. But LVG can be unpredictable in his team selection. No-one saw last night's 3-4-3 coming, I guess. But yeah, Wijnaldum will probably start.

dakt

I don't think my nerves will be able to handle this game. Robben is damn good and Sneijder is on the rise again.
Ahgsdfsfa...why now di Marida.....

King Leo

Banned
Enzo Parez should take over Di Maria's place in a more defensive role. He had a good game I think. Other options Maxi Rodriguez and Ricky Alvarez depending on formation that Sabella will use.

I keep saying we haven't seen the reaction of Argentina one goal down. This will dictate the substitutes that Sabella will make.

Chainsaw

Killahead
I don't think Holland is more hungry than Argentina. Actually I believe it's vice versa. Argentina has been more of an underachiever than Holland in the past 2 decades. They are playing for the title at their arch rival's soil. There is big load of Argentine fans there making it feel like home to the team. And now Argentina has reached the stage they've been waiting for 24 years.

Holland's main threat is Robben. If Argentina manage to neutralize him out of the game Holland doesn't have much threat to offer. That ofc depends on the Argentine players don't underperform by any means. All along the biggest threat I've been afraid of was Argentina themselves. They should be 100% prepared for this tie. No room for brainfarts and underperforming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans