Semifinal: Brasil - Germany 1-7

Status
Not open for further replies.

BerkeleyBernie

IMO, this was down more to Brazil's collapse than Germany's brilliance. Like Holland vs Spain.

I like Germany, but I have to agree about the underlying cause (though, not at all like Holland/Spain, where Holland picked exactly the right tactics of bypassing the midfield).

I was just rewatching the first half. Up until the first goal, the game was by no means under Germany's control. Brazil played as it usually plays, and it was pretty much back and forth, with no team mounting a serious threat. There was no sense of inevitability, the way one feels when one superior team is tightening the noose on another, and it's just a matter of time. Then there's the corner, and Luiz is blocked from marking Muller. One can fault the defence, or say it was a bit fortunate, but, okay, 1-0. The next goal again feels a bit fortunate, terrible by Marcelo keeping Muller onside, finding the right feet, and a poor parry by Cesar. Okay, 2-0. Not good, but still recoverable.

But then, the third goal. A laughable whiff miss by Muller turns into an unintentional dummy that Kroos buries. Now it's 3-0, and we're only 24 minutes into the game. It's here that Brazil really starts full meltdown, and feels the gods must be conspiring against them. At this point, Germany had the technique and savvy to exploit any weaknesses Brazil exposed.

A confluence of luck and some poor defending coming together in a short space of time, and Brazil was broken. Germany does have the best squad in the tourney, but I expect the Final will be much more like we saw today in the Argentina - Netherlands semifinal, a cagey tactical affair, with both teams finding it difficult to penetrate.

King Leo

Banned
Hummels: "Germany made a pledge at half-time not to humiliate Brazil in their World Cup semi-final" (and STILL scored two more)

Speechless when you read this

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Hummels: "Germany made a pledge at half-time not to humiliate Brazil in their World Cup semi-final" (and STILL scored two more)

Huh. Would have thought 5-0 was humiliation enough. And they still went on to score two more goals.

Ricky-Gervais-Hysterical-Laughter.gif

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Speechless when your read this

Well, Schürrle blew it then. But who can blame a substitute who has still a lot to prove to himself and the world?

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana

Btw, that seems to be a bit mistranslated because what Hummels said in the interview is that they decided to take their foot of the gas and not look to score like they were doing in the first half, but that they would remain professional. Sensationalist media strikes again to skew Hummels's quotes.

oz187

I was just rewatching the first half. Up until the first goal, the game was by no means under Germany's control. Brazil played as it usually plays, and it was pretty much back and forth, with no team mounting a serious threat. There was no sense of inevitability, the way one feels when one superior team is tightening the noose on another, and it's just a matter of time.

This I would disagree with. A few minutes into the game I thought "Brazil need to be careful here, they could get thrashed 5-0". They play with 4 forwards and both fullbacks were pushing foward leaving space in behind for counters. Gustavo was also dropping back to kind of make a back 3 but this meant Germany could dominate the midfield and Oscar, Hulk and Bernado being forwards/wingers were little use in supporting Fernandinho. This against a German team that is strong in retaining possession and can both tiki-taka it's way through an open opposition and also effectively hit fast counters.

It didn't look that bad at first because Brazil were also mounting attacks. But Brazil were facing an efficient German defense whereas Germany were facing an open defense. The first goal was just a matter of time. Then, Scolari needed to change tactics but he didn't. The next 10 minutes were slower as Germany decided to be modest in their attacks. They built momentum and then once they scored they went for the throat before backing off after the 5th goal. It could have been 10-0 or more at half time if Germany really went for it. The blame is on Scolari for his tactics and lack of reaction to what was ensuing.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana

Brazil vs Germany, as if Brazil had not played.

Lol, I posted a quote from my friend initially.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
There's no tiki taka here, this is literally Germany from 2010 World Cup.

Yeah, all those Twitter imbeciles like Rafael Hernandez are having a laugh with their "Germany playing like this since Pep joined Bayern" nonsense. If at all we're playing properly again since we've dropped Lahm from midfield, dropped the false 9 and dropped the gung-ho high line which almost saw us knocked out against Algeria if not for Neuer.

C

cbfpaulinho4

No Thiago Silva. I'm not a br nt fan, Aurelius. Supported spain in 2010, and Argentina now.

must be nice to be able to switch to winning teams every world cup. Whats the next team u will switch to in 2018??

F

Flavia

must be nice to be able to switch to winning teams every world cup. Whats the next team u will switch to in 2018??

Funny spain had won no wc so far, and was called "fofuria' here in brazil after losing to swittzerland in the 1st game, but I was following the winning team :lol:
My team is Barça, and that's it. I've always liked the argies. And Spain mostly for the Barça players. But I never bought the media crap "you have to cheer for 'your' nt", like many people do, and only watch a football match every four years.

Or even worse, I don't have the initials of one of the most corrupted institutions of Brazil as my username ;)

C

cbfpaulinho4

Funny spain had won no wc so far, and was called "fofuria' here in brazil after losing to swittzerland in the 1st game, but I was following the winning team :lol:
My team is Barça, and that's it. I've always liked the argies. And Spain mostly for the Barça players. But I never bought the media crap "you have to cheer for 'your' nt", like many people do, and only watch a football match every four years.

Or even worse, I don't have the initials of one of the most corrupted institutions of Brazil as my username ;)

shots fired whoa..... lol, i took a friendly jab and u had to bring out the big guns... but i have cbf in my name because its in support for the players and the selecao. I dont mix the politics with my love for the selecao and the players. Even after the embarrassing lost, i will always support them and love the selecao more than any other team. You talk about corruption with the cbf but yet you support barca, a team that has been in how many scandals lately? kk..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans