QF: Argentina - Belgium 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ursegor

World Champion
Argentina's games in the WC should be a lesson to anyone who wanted to make Barca more "direct" last season. It can't get more direct than a Gago-Mascherano double pivot with Di Maria, Messi, Higuain, Agüero/Lavezzi/Palacio upfront. Yet it doesn't change anything. Teams defend deep, double and triple mark Messi and give Argentina the ball (highest possession team in the tournament lawl) because they are shitscared to give that front 4 space. Once teams want to defend in numbers they will do so. No matter double pivot with Messi behind a striker or Xavi dictating the middle with Messi as a false 9.

Alik

Argentina's games in the WC should be a lesson to anyone who wanted to make Barca more "direct" last season. It can't get more direct than a Gago-Mascherano double pivot with Di Maria, Messi, Higuain, Agüero/Lavezzi/Palacio upfront. Yet it doesn't change anything. Teams defend deep, double and triple mark Messi and give Argentina the ball (highest possession team in the tournament lawl) because they are shitscared to give that front 4 space. Once teams want to defend in numbers they will do so. No matter double pivot with Messi behind a striker or Xavi dictating the middle with Messi as a false 9.

Well...Argentina had plenty of chances in their games despite most of their players playing badly.

Argentina will win and belgium will complain about the ref because big teams get the advantage.
happened in 94 (penalty) and 98 (disallowed goal)

tbh
Belgium didn't have great opponents.
For a spectator the game against the us was great but for trainers?

so many chances, terrible set pieces (20 corners & zero danger), complete panic after the american goal, ...
i don't see how bench players (buyten, Vermaelen,..) will handle the argentinian attack.

Messi_Goal

Argentina has been let down by some individuals so far this World Cup in particular Di Maria, But hopefully his goal gets him started.IMO this Argentina team has the talent to win the World Cup and haven't clicked just yet, But I`m tipping them to step it up a gear or two tomorrow and easily beat the overrated Belgium's.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Argentina will win and belgium will complain about the ref because big teams get the advantage.
happened in 94 (penalty) and 98 (disallowed goal)

tbh
Belgium didn't have great opponents.
For a spectator the game against the us was great but for trainers?

so many chances, terrible set pieces (20 corners & zero danger), complete panic after the american goal, ...
i don't see how bench players (buyten, Vermaelen,..) will handle the argentinian attack.

I agree. I wasn't impressed by Belgium every time I watched 'em. But that's only one side of the story. The other side is that, neither Argentina was impressive. Far from it actually. Several players struggling with form and Sabella either isn't interested in putting 'em out or he doesn't think he has better alternatives on the bench (both his faults though).

It has been literally a one man show by Messi which kept Argentina alive in this WC so far. And when the oppositions find a plan to keep Messi out of the game Argentina is in huge trouble. Unless we see some needed changes in the team and the certain below par players raising up their game I think this match will remain a 50-50 tie. And I'm very much afraid of the QF hoodoo which has been hunting us for over 20 years that I can hardly find peace heading toward this match. I hope the boys do not let us down this time.

N11JELKA

At least Argentina has Messi, they can depend on him. Belgium has been dissapointing so far. And I guess belgium is not realy able to do better, while Argentina has played below her level.

Icarium

Lifestealer
If Argentina defend well messi will win it from them. They just need to defend well and stop Belgium from taking too many crosses and mainly Romero must be at his best. Rest messi will take care, with the help his angel he will win the match.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

Moose

Argentina has been let down by some individuals so far this World Cup in particular Di Maria, But hopefully his goal gets him started.IMO this Argentina team has the talent to win the World Cup and haven't clicked just yet, But I`m tipping them to step it up a gear or two tomorrow and easily beat the overrated Belgium's.

Overrated Belgians? By whom?
They're rated by everyone right as they should be. Not among the favourites but as a team thay might surprise one of the genuine favourites.

N11JELKA

Overrated Belgians? By whom?
They're rated by everyone right as they should be. Not among the favourites but as a team thay might surprise one of the genuine favourites.

As I see, a bit overrated by the members on this forum here.

King Leo

Banned
If Argentina defend well messi will win it from them. They just need to defend well and stop Belgium from taking too many crosses and mainly Romero must be at his best. Rest Messi will take care, with the help his angel he will win the match.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

I agree, that defence and Rumero's performance will decide this game. My fear is that Belgium will park the bus and their counters are far more deadly than the Iranians or the Swiss. Word is Biglia to replace Gago and Demichelis for Fernandez. Not a fan of Demichelis but F.Fernandez has been unreliable in the back and headless in corners.

Higuain should be benched as he's been totally useless. My guess Aguero will come in as a super-sub late in the game to bring in some needed energy.

Flashback ...
246rjp2.jpg

Last edited:

AURELIUS

the beauty of those Pumas and the Tango ball is priceless

That shot is from a free kick blocked by the Belgians in 1982. They won it 1-0.

Anyone who thinks Belgium is somehow an easy tie is deluded .They have every chance of winning.In knock out football what you did in the previous round, the group stages doesn'tmatter at all.

A team that has played poorly ie Italy in 1982 can get through, a team that has dazzled ie Brazil 82, Argentina 2006 can go by the wayside.

It should be a more open game. Sabella needs to get the midfield balance sorted out and at this stage in the WC it is well worth bringing in some fresh players. Higuain needs to go as well for his lack of mobility and effort.

Belgium can be exposed down the flanks but they have a solid enough midfield and threat upfront so Garay and company need to be wary particularly on set pieces from Fellaini and Vertonghen.

I would go with:
------------------------------------Romero--------------------------------------
-Zabaleta-----------Fernandez ?-----------------Garay--------------Basanta-----
-----------------------------------Mascherano-----------------------------------
--------------------Perez--------------------------------Biglia-------------------
------Messi-------------------------------------------------------di Maria---------
-----------------------------------Palacio----------------------------------------

Messi will get more space out wide and has a free role. Perez can exploit the area if Witsel/ Defour get dragged out wide to him or di Maria. Palacio offers more ability to get in behind and across the front.

Perez and Biglia can also double back to keep tabs on de Bruyne and Hazard respectively on the flanks. I might be tempted to also get Dimichelis/Campagnaro in for Fernandez as well.

Lavezzi and Higuain would make useful impact subs along with Maxi offensively. Kun needs to stay away and recover and prevent wasting a substitution.

King Leo

Banned
That shot is from a free kick blocked by the Belgians in 1982. They won it 1-0.

Anyone who thinks Belgium is somehow an easy tie is deluded .They have every chance of winning.In knock out football what you did in the previous round, the group stages doesn'tmatter at all.

A team that has played poorly ie Italy in 1982 can get through, a team that has dazzled ie Brazil 82, Argentina 2006 can go by the wayside.

It should be a more open game. Sabella needs to get the midfield balance sorted out and at this stage in the WC it is well worth bringing in some fresh players. Higuain needs to go as well for his lack of mobility and effort.

Belgium can be exposed down the flanks but they have a solid enough midfield and threat upfront so Garay and company need to be wary particularly on set pieces from Fellaini and Vertonghen.

I would go with:
------------------------------------Romero--------------------------------------
-Zabaleta-----------Fernandez ?-----------------Garay--------------Basanta-----
-----------------------------------Mascherano-----------------------------------
--------------------Perez--------------------------------Biglia-------------------
------Messi-------------------------------------------------------di Maria---------
-----------------------------------Palacio----------------------------------------

Messi will get more space out wide and has a free role. Perez can exploit the area if Witsel/ Defour get dragged out wide to him or di Maria. Palacio offers more ability to get in behind and across the front.

Perez and Biglia can also double back to keep tabs on de Bruyne and Hazard respectively on the flanks. I might be tempted to also get Dimichelis/Campagnaro in for Fernandez as well.

Lavezzi and Higuain would make useful impact subs along with Maxi offensively. Kun needs to stay away and recover and prevent wasting a substitution.

Honestly I've been keeping faith and saying Argentina will get their act together in the next match and so on but I think it's too late now. Not much more will come out of them other than Messi doing what no player has ever done before to literally win it all the way all by himself. Frankly that would be the stuff of superheroes and the Brazilians mind as well replace the statue of Christ with one of Messi.

Last edited:

zanela

Pre-WC, ARG's attack was seen as their biggest strength, but thus far it's the defence that has outperformed the attack. Yes, the opposition's conservative set-up has stifled the attack, but it has also left the defence exposed like no tom. And given the circumstances, the latter has largely stood up to the challenge. Its not like the other defences that remain in the comp have looked like world beaters defending on the break. Hence, contrary to popular sentiment, I genuinely believe ARG's chances of progressing rests not on the defence but the potency and functioning of the attack, the reason ARG has struggled the most. If that latter clicks, the defence is capable of holding its own.

I agree with your line-up, Aurelius. Except I don't want to see FF replaced despite looking suspect on few occasions. There will already be a change in Basanta for the suspended Rojo, and replacing another one in the backline in such a crucial fixture may prove counter-productive. Demichelis should stay far away from the first XI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans