QF: Argentina - Belgium 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanela

BrzHYzvCIAAEkkr.jpg

:lol:

zanela

So, if both Brazil and ARG lose the semis. The third place play-off may turn out more interesting, and attract more viewership than the final. :p Although I hope the Copa America clasico IS the final. But my gut feeling disappoints me. :(

zanela

A full European final at the South America soil? I doubt it.

Well, I hope you're right.

MD reporting that Sabella has decided to leave office regardless of the outcome of the current campaign. I had my reservations initially, but I've warmed up to the old man. A lovely character, a philosopher on the mic, and pragmatic on the touchline. I'm gonna miss him. :cry: I hope the boys give him his best memory yet.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Well, I hope you're right.

MD reporting that Sabella has decided to leave office regardless of the outcome of the current campaign. I had my reservations initially, but I've warmed up to the old man. A lovely character, a philosopher on the mic, and pragmatic on the touchline. I'm gonna miss him. :cry: I hope the boys give him his best memory yet.

That story has been going on in the Argentine media months before the WC. Tata Martino has been said to be the likely successor.

LeeRomeno

wrote that already in early stages of this WC and i have to repeat again:
Argentina has from the first game shown signs of future champions. I dont recall any previous WC, where eventual winners would have blasted their way from the beginning. 2010 - Spain lost first game 2006 -Italy did beat Ghana, but then tied 1-1 with USA. 2002 - Brazil barely beat Turkey (only won with penalty near the end of game 2-1. We have to go way back to 1998 to find actually eventual winner starting strong.
I have a feeling they have been preserving energy, playing smart, doing maximum results with minimum effort. Same goes with Messi as well. He has stepped it up every game a bit. This game he was already very close to being his old self, but was subbed around 65 minute because he was starting to get kicked awfully lot.

If Argentina can keep their concentration, they are very huge favourites to win this, at least i predicted them to win this year, all signs seem to point at that direction and they keep pointing. I hope i am not wrong.

It is exactly what has happened, they play smart, they have the south-american flair, but they play it with german control and structure. Its the perfect combination. I think only team that had chance of beating Argentina this tournament is Germany. And i dont understand any of the critics who say Argentina has been poor. Are you blind? Its one of if not the most effective teams in this World Cup, instead of going gung-ho like Chile or Columbia, they have actually taken much smarter controlling approach, they are patient and what is more important, they know how to keep chances of opposition to minimum as their goalie is not really who is that great. Learn some history, no team in modern football has won the tournament by crushing opposition 4-0 every game.

impeh

Hi, its me..
Di María's injury, while not serious medically, will see him out of the rest of the World Cup.

Tomchin

What a boring game, very disappointing. The group-stages gave us so many exiting games, but the quarterfinals all have been very disappointing so far (barring Brazil-Colombia maybe)

AURELIUS

Medical tests tomorrow for di Maria. Nothing confirmed as yet but could be it for him.....all from trying to blast a shot.....

BerkeleyBernie

Argentina less troubled today than against Swiss. Had it in hand. Were solid

Mmmmkay, if that's how you see it. Netherlands controlled Costa Rica, did not allow them to have the ball, and forced them to cough it up when they did get it. Belgium was simply wasteful; nothing to do with Argentina's play, they simply threw the ball away countless times with bad unforced passes. Argentina had a fine finish on a lucky deflection, but otherwise were nearly as wasteful as Belgium.

NOT solid. Will need to step it up BIG time vs Netherlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans