Round of 16: Belgium - USA - Tuesday 01/07/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Belgium: Thibaut Courtois (Atletico Madrid), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool), Koen Casteels (Hoffenheim), Toby Alderweireld (Atletico Madrid), Anthony Vanden Borre (Anderlecht), Laurent Ciman (Standard Luik), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City), Daniel Van Buyten (Bayern München), Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal), Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit Sint-Petersburg), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur), Axel Witsel (Zenit Sint-Petersburg), Steven Defour (FC Porto), Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United), Moussa Dembélé (Tottenham Hotspur), Nacer Chadli (Tottenham Hotspur), Kevin De Bruyne (VfL Wolfsburg), Romelu Lukaku (Everton), Divock Origi (Lille), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Dries Mertens (Napoli), Kevin Mirallas (Everton), Adnan Januzaj (Manchester United).

USA: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha BSC), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (1. FC Nürnberg), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern München), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Aron Johannsson (AZ), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes).

BerkeleyBernie

Possible, but don't see USA getting through. I don't think we've seen Belgium really play yet, been kind of coasting in second gear, mixing up the roster. And with Courtois in goal, it's going to take excellent shots to beat him. 2-0 Belgium.

barcanuck

Belgium not yet elite and USA has more experience thus I see USA taking care of Belgium very dramatically.

BerkeleyBernie

But the coach has wearied of complaints that his team is not playing attractively. It is more important, he said, to be rested and energized than enchanting.

“We are here with the best teams on earth,” Wilmots said. “You pay cash for any mistakes. I don’t know who plays beautifully. We’re not here to look at people and their performances. We’re here to win. We don’t have just 11 players; we have 23 good players. We can be very nasty and surprise teams.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/s...014-belgium-is-an-ascendant-soccer-power.html

I agree the Belgians haven't dazzled, but, as suggested by Wilmots above, partly by design. They are playing conservatively, for the most part (as in "conserving energy"), rotating players. I suspect we will see a Belgium with a bit more edge, when it is required.

BerkeleyBernie

US will win and make history. This will further spread the soccer fever in the country.

USMNT has advanced to the Quarterfinals before: during the 2002 World Cup Quarterfinals, Oliver Kahn kept Germany in front of the USA with a string of saves in a first half dominated by the Americans, save for the winning goal, scored by Michael Ballack in the 39th minute.

So they'd have to advance to the Semifinals at the World Cup to better their previous record.

P.S. During the 2009 Confederations Cup the United States appeared in their first ever intercontinental tournament final. In the semifinals, the United States upset top ranked Spain, 2–0, to advance to the final. In the final, the United States lost 3–2 to Brazil.

King Leo

Banned
you are %100 right.

The more the US progresses the more the sport gains popularity in North America. On a lighter note, Wild Wings Sport Bar chain is witnessing a spike in attendance (stock is up). ESPN is seeing much higher viewer rating than expected (Disney stock is up). Of course Nike stock is way up.

I have friends in New York who booked a conference room so they can close its doors and watch the game DURING WORK!!!.

Even New York Stock Exchange traders are getting distracted!!! Take a look for yourself

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000287771

Egert

Estonian Culé
I hope USA surprises here. I just don't want Argentina to play against Belgium if they get through Switzerland.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
I expect this one to be close. Wilmots hasn't impressed me so far; Belgium is definitely not stronger than the sum of their parts. Klinsmann, on the other hand, did a fine job with the USA's team. Both teams appear to be very fit too. I expect Belgium to win, though, because the USA's center backs haven't been very impressive imo. Wilmots should use Origi.

Galning

I'm supporting the USA for this one. Will be hanging my star spangled banner out the window like the Belgians like to do during this WC. It'll be a beautiful sight in my street :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans