Round of 16: Belgium - USA - Tuesday 01/07/2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wouterinho

Pls kick out Belgium and Greece do it for football
I'd always prefer Belgium over Holland. Belgium have had to play against really defensive teams but are always willing to attack. Holland on the other hand are very defensive minded and don't play with guts imo.

GoobiePls

S♥NE
I'd always prefer Belgium over Holland. Belgium have had to play against really defensive teams but are always willing to attack. Holland on the other hand are very defensive minded and don't play with guts imo.

Holland do it because they lack quality other than strikers and even then you get excited when Robben/RVP get the ball. Belgium have the squad they're just unmotivated, lazy or w/e their problem is

Galning

Holland do it because they lack quality other than strikers and even then you get excited when Robben/RVP get the ball. Belgium have the squad they're just unmotivated, lazy or w/e their problem is

Their problem is called Wilmots.

FC B

I really appreciate the effort put, the phisycal preparation of USA players and the way they play under Klinsmann at this WC.
I started liking their NT for years since they begun playing nice WCs games and good football.
I'll be their fan to go through on this one.

Wouterinho

Well but my point is that Belgium just isn't defensive minded, the games weren't interesting because the other teams were very defense-minded and Belgium isn't great at playing the ball around as fast as required
I could see USA win this one because they have the physical edge over Belgium.
I don't know about that, Belgium certainly has more power and aerial ability, but USA are indeed a team in good physical shape.

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Belgium have too many good players to lose to the USA, it wouldn't be as much of a travesty as Greece making the KO rounds but I'd see it as pretty disappointing. Their coach sucks badly, this team should be playing twice as good as they are.

Piqué

Belgium still haven't lost an official game with Wilmots in charge, so he can't be that bad. Agreed should to more with the potential at hand. Off course, Belgium hasn't shown its full potential, but the opponents haven't allowed them by standing guard at their own penalty box. If Belgium had scored in the first minute of the first game (like the US), it would have been totally different.

They should beat the USA, simply because they are much more talented. Problem is Kompany is injured, which is a terrible loss for the defence, as is Vanden Borre who is 10 times better than Alderweireld at RB.

Belgium won a friendly at USA just a year ago, 2-4 (Benteke scoring twice). Difference between the two sides in that game was big.

Wouterinho

Belgium still haven't lost an official game with Wilmots in charge, so he can't be that bad. Agreed should to more with the potential at hand. Off course, Belgium hasn't shown its full potential, but the opponents haven't allowed them by standing guard at their own penalty box. If Belgium had scored in the first minute of the first game (like the US), it would have been totally different.

They should beat the USA, simply because they are much more talented. Problem is Kompany is injured, which is a terrible loss for the defence, as is Vanden Borre who is 10 times better than Alderweireld at RB.

Belgium won a friendly at USA just a year ago, 2-4 (Benteke scoring twice). Difference between the two sides in that game was big.
Please reverse that. Vanden Borre can hardly be called competition for Alderweireld, who's playing a decent WC and WC-preparation
Vanden Borre couldn't even defend decently against Luxemburg. He is too slow and he'd be a nightmare when the opponents play on the counter.
He was decent against Corea but could've caused two goals if there attackers had been in form and (and this surprised me too) his passing stats were the worst of the entire team. Imagine him against a decent winger and he could just be the reason you get knocked out.
Don't get me wrong: I know he's had a good season, but that was not because he's a good defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans