Memphis Depay

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone enlighten me why are we after Depay? For which position exactly? We could use someone to interchange with Messi between RW and CF but he doesn't fit the profile.

George_Costanza

He is not the CF we are looking for. I believe we have to spend big on CF like pursuing Halaand the next summer. We don't need half solution who we can't sell and will be stuck with us for many years.

We don't buy any CF this season and try to work with the players we have.

Birdy

50M CB without a shadow of doubt.
Yellow is games we failed to score, bold is games we conceded.
The math is clear.

Edit: Have you even watched Depay? Guy has never been good outside way lower leagues than we face. In both times he had to be arguably the focal points of offense to succeed.
I won't even rate him as 50M striker. He is a guy who has huge chance of flopping here

Depay improved a lot since he was at UTD.
Yeah, he was bad then, but 5 years passed since. People should stop comparing 20yr old Depay with current Depay.
Argument about ligue 1 stands of course, but he has shown great signs with the Netherlands NT.
And if Koeman knows how to use him, plus costs only 25m (price rarely found for an attacker), I don't see why not.
The only real con is that he will take playing time from Pedri and Trincao, who need to develop.

By the way, we should buy a top CB for sure, should not rely anymore on 34yr old Pique.

behindbrowneyes

By the way, we should buy a top CB for sure, should not rely anymore on 34yr old Pique.

I agree that we should buy a top CB next summer instead of splashing 20M on Bartra 2.0 now, but age is not much of an issue when it comes to Pique. Madrid relies on 34yo Ramos, PSG relied on old Thiago Silva, Juve relied on old Chiellini until he had that cruciate ligament rupture ... You can continue this list with many examples in football history. CBs are aging differently and very often the most experienced ones are the best. There are no signs of Pique aging bad. He looks focused for the new season and fortunately already retired from the Spanish national team.
I'm sure he can fulfill his contract as a starter. Pair him with a fast CB and he will be fine.

SKY | Personal terms have been agreed between Barcelona and Depay

Doesn't mean a whole lot. I assume the player agreed terms weeks ago. His club needs Bar?a to meet their (fairly meager) financial expectations.

In my view, signing Depay is a monumentally stupid piece of business. I hope to be proved wrong.

serghei

Don't think we'll get him either. But if we do get him, Griezmann needs to be sold.

If we sign Depay, sell Griezmann next summer, and remain with some good money after this in-out affair, it's good business.

I think Depay would perform better for us as AM, LW and 9 than either of Griezmann and Coutinho. Plus that he is younger than both. So, if Coutinho and Griezmann don't deliver this season, sell both, and in such case Depay is useful.

The only problem is, until you can sell some players, you'd be massively overbooked.

Last edited:

Sorin

Don't think we'll get him either. But if we do get him, Griezmann needs to be sold fast.

If we sign Depay, sell Griezmann, and remain with some good money after this in-out affair, it's good business.

I think Depay would perform better for us as AM, LW and 9 than either of Griezmann and Coutinho.

Griezmann is earning 43m a year. No one is paying any money for him. Hell, no one would want him on loan without us splitting the bill.

So yeah, maybe Depay will perform marginally better(not a certainty), however not worth the 25m plus wages, let's be real. He doesn't move the neddle and would be another waste of money in an already bloated squad on his type of players.

serghei

Griezmann is earning 43m a year. No one is paying any money for him when. Hell, no one would want him on loan without us splitting the bill.

So yeah, maybe Depay will perform marginally better(not a certainty), however not worth the 25m plus wages, let's be real. He doesn't move the neddle and would be another waste of money in an already bloated squad on his type of players.

I think Griezmann can be sold. He's still in his prime. I reckon we'd have buyers for him.

Sorin

I think Griezmann can be sold. He's still in his prime. I reckon we'd have buyers for him.

This season?

Maybe next year if Mbappe leaves PSG. Don't see any other team interested in him when he earns that much. Maybe United if they strike out on Sancho once again. Who else?

serghei

This season?

Maybe next year if Mbappe leaves PSG. Don't see any other team interested in him when he earns that much. Maybe United if they strike out on Sancho once again. Who else?

Next year, not this year.

I can see many top teams being interested in Griezmann. Griezmann has a lot going for him, it's just that he doesn't really suit us.

Anyway, I'm mostly indifferent to us signing Depay. Don't see a high risk in any direction.

Batistuta9

Next year, not this year.

I can see many top teams being interested in Griezmann. Griezmann has a lot going for him, it's just that he doesn't really suit us.

Anyway, I'm mostly indifferent to us signing Depay. Don't see a high risk in any direction.

I don't think there will be too many teams interested in him, unless we sell for around 50m. He'll be 30, teams won't want to pay a high fee for a player with a few years left. PSG are the only team that comes to mind, but I don't think he wants to go there and has rejected them before.

Home of Barca Fans