Acceleration vs Pace

H

Haruko The Goon

Who are the players that have extreme Acceleration

And who are the players that have extreme pace?

( for those that don't know the difference, Pace is the maximum speed a player can get up to while acceleration is the time it takes to reach maximum speed)

In my opinion, Theo Walcott is a player that has 10/10 Acceleration, while his pace is like 8.5/10

Thierry Henry had 9/10 Acceleration, but had 10/10 pace.

Marc Overmars had 8/10 acceleration, but his pace was 10/10. <- he would get up to the maximum speed in couple seconds, but when he was off, he was like Speedy Gonzales... nobody is catching him, or even keeping up with him.

Give some opinions, especially on Theo Walcott, and then post some examples.

Bertus

Lucas moura is good at both imo.

Too bad he lacks some field vision and make bad choices.

We got a lot of that last year :

Untitled-2.gif

H

Haruko The Goon

Go on FM and search for the stats. :lol:

I think Messi has insane Acceleration but not so much pace...

YES. Perfect. Messi is similar to Theo in a sense that the first 2 or 3 meters is the most crucial part of their dribbles... not their top speed. It's that getting to their top speed, in which they usually results in them breezing past the fullback.

Dense people will say "Oh Messi is so pacey" "Theo is such a speed merchant"

Der Kaiser

A completely different example is Pique. I remember a scene from 2009 or so when he had to run for the ball vs Cristiano. He´s really slow at first but at full speed he was almost the same as Cris. I think it has to do with leg length, once those big legs get moving they cover more ground and he has more pace while doing less steps.

edit: Here is the video:

Cristiano completely runs past him the first 20m, but then Pique´s pace looks equal to Cristianos.

Last edited:

Irish_Cules

I think Iniesta is a player who's acceleration is one of the most dangerous in world football. He isnt actually that fast once he gets up to full speed but he has a great initial burst. Its such a smooth transition as well...he'll pass the ball around a bit and stand with it and accelerates so smoothly and swiftly that the defender doesn't even realise it. I think its what makes him some a dangerous player, his transition from passing the ball around into running at the defence is so sudden yet gradual at the same time.

I actually remember Andy Gray mentioning his acceleration in the 2nd half of this game....

A couple of examples of it at.....

0:04
3:43
4:40

With regards to the players you mentioned I think Bale is simlar in that it takes him a a couple of seconds to get going but once he does he is away. You can see it in his goal in the final, Batra keeps up with him for the first couple seconds but then Bale just blows him away. That's why Bale really needs space to function properly.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Tall players need space to run into. Small players use their agility and acceleration, so that they can operate in a very small space

Home of Barca Fans