Which goal was better

• Thread starter Haruko The Goon
  • Start date
H

Haruko The Goon

Zidane's sweet volley vs Leverkusen in the 01 CL final.

vs

Crespos chip vs Liverpool? (Kaka with the best assist of all time!)

I think both are unbelievable... Which is best?

(Please be honest, don't just say somebody could the other guy played for Madrid!)

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
I looked at both goals on youtube again.

I have to plumb for Zidane's goal because he had more time to think about it and the more time you have to think about it the more it can go wrong for you as generally at your best your instincts take over.

Zidane had to think about it - while the ball was in the air - and hit the ball with magnificent technique.

But I must say this is a really hard decision to make because as you said both were unbelievable goals and Crespo do had a good 4 seconds to think about what to do with Kaka's through ball and it was a sublime finish and great technique.

But I am hedging towards Zidane because he had a second or two longer to think than Crespo and the ball was in the air.

H

Haruko The Goon

The more time you think, the more it can go wrong? That doesn't sound too right.

Seeing the ball in the air, he has enough time to decide he's going to shoot, steady himself, position his feet, and prepare for the volley.

H

Haruko The Goon

I'm siding with Zidane.

Crespo's is immaculate on the eye, and is so swift, nobody touches the ball more than twice and 4 players are involved in getting the ball from one end of the pitch to another, literally in the space of 6 seconds. Truly is rip-roaring.

Zidane's goal was one in a million, and it happened to be the winner in a CL final. The best technical strike of a football I've seen in my life, and it was with his wrong foot. I could never run out of things to say about that goal. It doesn't get any better than that.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Definitely the more you think about it the more it can go wrong. Instinct is much more important in those situations. The hours of training for those situations is that when your instincts take over that what you've done on the training field goes into the match situation.

When you have to think about you then you are less reliant on instinct and more relied upon your in game intelligence and technique as well. That he had time to think about it meant Zidane had to rely more on his technique while at the same time think about the in game situation and as you say getting prepared to steady himself, position himself and volley.

For me it is the time of the ball in the air that transitions from that being an instinct goal (Check Garcia against Juve that's instinct) to a goal that relies more on Zidane thinking about the situation and his composure.

As I said it was a tough call for me but for the reasons mentioned is why I picked the Zidane goal.

Home of Barca Fans