Claudio Bravo

God Serena

While that is true De Gea was 12 years younger when he joined United. You usually have more patience with younger players (unless you are Barça fan, lol) but people usually also expect immediate impact from experienced players like Bravo, especially if he's replacing one of the club legends (Joe Hart) that fans love.

I believe that every player (no matter how old he is) deserves a full season to adapt to his new team before we can call him a flop, especially if he goes to a different league (when he also has to adapt off the field to different culture and language, which makes his on the field adaptation even harder) than he played in for most of his career but De Gea and Bravo cases are just different. United were willing to go through problems De Gea had in his adaptation period because they thought he can be their longterm GK (and they were right). On the other hand, even if Bravo somehow finds himself again I doubt he'll stay in City for more than 2 or 3 years (he'll most likely leave when Pep will if not before that).

I don't believe in that idea at all. An entire season is a bit extreme, especially if a player is really as world class as he's chalked up to be. Suarez, for example, came to Spain and adapted in roughly a month, and that was after a lengthy ban that stopped him from playing.

Bravo's issues are much worse than not being adapted. Just like Paco failing to put a shot on target when he only has the keeper to beat, Bravo curling up in a ball when a shot is coming is down to individual quality. We're not talking about Gomes not knowing where to stand or Digne not linking up well with Neymar, we're talking about clear and obvious lack of quality in the position a player was bought to excel in. Bravo right now is a massive flop. He has been for months. It's not because he's still adapting, it's because Man City would be a better team if they didn't have him.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We will be very lucky if we ever sign a gk like Bravo because we haven't had such great gk for us signed since the 80s and Zubizarreta.

Yannik

What's that thing with "adapt to a league" and stuff? The guy is a goalkeeper, only thing he needs to adapt to is people shooting the ball at his goal.
Won't need the language, a tactic, nor a lecture about historical british football culture for that. I've tested it by dropping an apple off my hands and can confirm that gravity and physics do work the same as they did during my vacation on Ibiza.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well, considering we're not going to sign de Gea, Courtois or even the Milan kid Donnarumma any time soon, then I guess that's a good assessment.

Jenks

He is in bad form currently. He needs time to adapt to Premier League. I remember De Gea having a lot of problems in his first season in Premier League. Now he is TOP 3 GK in PL and probably TOP 5 in the world.

Yeah, but De Gea's problem was that he wasn't used to the physicality and was flapping at the high balls, it wasn't that he suddenly forgot how to stop shots.

Messi983

What's that thing with "adapt to a league" and stuff? The guy is a goalkeeper, only thing he needs to adapt to is people shooting the ball at his goal.
Won't need the language, a tactic, nor a lecture about historical british football culture for that. I've tested it by dropping an apple off my hands and can confirm that gravity and physics do work the same as they did during my vacation on Ibiza.

So you don't think he needs to communicate with his defenders for which he needs to learn language first. Also, EPL football is different than in La Liga. More crosses into the box, referees allowing more physical game/more contacts even with GKs so he needs to adapt to that as well. Not to say that Bravo and his family needed to adapt living in different country after a decade spent in Spain. All of this is impacting him along with a growing impatience between the fans because he replaced a GK they loved.

Yannik

So you don't think he needs to communicate with his defenders for which he needs to learn language first. Also, EPL football is different than in La Liga. More crosses into the box, referees allowing more physical game/more contacts even with GKs so he needs to adapt to that as well. Not to say that Bravo and his family needed to adapt living in different country after a decade spent in Spain. All of this is impacting him along with a growing impatience between the fans because he replaced a GK they loved.

Sure he does, but the problem doesn't lie within the lack of fancy passing combinations involving him and his defenders, but the actual fact that he isn't saving any shots. That's not a problem with adaption then, but simple form.

DonAK

Duncan Castles' part-time job is sucking Mourinho and Man Utd, so not sure this news is reliable at all.

CuleLife4Life

Joe Hart was given a chance to stay( albiet on the bench) but he feared for his England starting spot if he was on the bench. Although its not Pep sucking up his pride and calling him back, I don't think they plan on including Hart next season.

Sucks for Bravo though. Finally got benched and is turning 34 in April. We were the short peak of his career.

But if City try for Ederson, they'll be getting a really good GK. Has always been very good for Benfica.

DonAK

This is his career's biggest challenge.

Even if he's declined rapidly, he's far from as bad as this. Casillas is doing well for Porto now it seems.

Will be a test of his mental strength.

Horatio

You're welcome
I am not convinced his current performance is the result of a physical decline, for me it's more likely to be psychological. Only when he performs this poorly for Chile will I believe that he is done.

Home of Barca Fans