Claudio Bravo

Galning

People realize that you can't have 2 world class goalkeepers, right? You can't buy the BEST goalkeeper in the league who is 27 with about 8 more years in his prime and plant his ass on the bench behind a youngstar. There will be conflicts in the dressing room. Let's say ter Stegen makes a mistake or two. Everyone will demand Keylor to take his place. And if he doesn't make mistakes, which is likely because he is GOAT, good luck sitting him on the bench again for no reason and developing ter Stegen without putting pressure on him. Just an example what could happen.

Which club apart from Real Madrid does have 2 elite goalkeepers anyway? And that only because of Mourinho's asshatery. No idea why people freak out about this. Not getting a proper starting CB and rumoured negotiations for Mathieu and Miranda instead is far more of a concern. This transfer will only be bad if they pay double digits for Bravo. He can't cost close to ter Stegen. € 6M is about right.

You're right but as Flavia pointed out if you're going to splash out 10M for a reserve goalkeeper, which is a lot, you might as well sign the best one possible.

xxxxxx

Can anyone tell me why we're spending so much on this goalkeeper when he's only going to be backup?

Our board are so stupid.

Ursegor

World Champion
You're right but as Flavia pointed out if you're going to splash out 10M for a reserve goalkeeper, which is a lot, you might as well sign the best one possible.

Well, we don't know what happens behind the scenes. They might have contacted Willy and sounded out whether he's willing to join under the circumstances that he will only get guaranteed Copa del Rey games and the rest of the season he might be sitting on the bench and he might have said "no, only if I get a guaranteed bigger role".

I'm the last one to defend Zubi but at least when it comes to goalkeepers I trust him. Kind of.

Mats will GOAT it anyway so this is all irrelevant. :coffee:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Exactly. Willy and Keylor might have turned us down. Caballero has ambitions to be in the national team for the next Copa America and for that he has to play regularly. And Keylor Navas was the best GK in all of La Liga this season (minus Valdes because of injury), and if you think he'd accept the bench, especially when he could start for Atleti if Mourinho decides to make Courtois Chelsea's starting GK, then you are out of your minds. Claudio Bravo's not the best, but he's a decent bench option. And if he sucks, we still have Masip to count on, unlike Oier this year.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
All of you using the excuse "well you can't have 2 world class GK with one sitting on the bench, etc etc" yeah that's all fine and dandy, but that still does not excuse paying €10m for him.

If Barcelona can get Pinto for free and get backup minutes from him for 6 years, and if Madrid can buy Diego Lopez for €3m and have him compete and take Iker's place, then Barcelona have absolutely no excuse paying that kind of money for Bravo who is neither young, nor particularly good.

Ursegor

World Champion
I won't believe he will cost € 10M until it happens. I just can't imagine they would pay as much for a 31 year old non elite backup as they did for one of the most promising youngstars in the world.

And if it happens I will pretend that Mats cost € 20M like De Gea and Bravo came for free. Which is completely fine. All a matter of perspective. :coffee:

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Nope, initially we signed him on loan in January then made it permanent in the next transfer window

And he did not cost a signing fee. Barca just payed his salary on the loan and then gave him a new contract when he was a free agent. No transfer fee, ergo, free transfer.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Well, we don't know what happens behind the scenes. They might have contacted Willy and sounded out whether he's willing to join under the circumstances that he will only get guaranteed Copa del Rey games and the rest of the season he might be sitting on the bench and he might have said "no, only if I get a guaranteed bigger role".

I'm the last one to defend Zubi but at least when it comes to goalkeepers I trust him. Kind of.

Mats will GOAT it anyway so this is all irrelevant. :coffee:

My sentiments exactly...hopefully the numbers are not accurate but keeper depth is a complicated mix

Home of Barca Fans