Gabriel Milito

M.L. King

The Preacher
MILITO.jpg

Name: Gabriel Alejandro Milito
Position: defense
Place of birth: Bernal (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
Date: 7-9-1980
Height: 179 cm
Weight: 78 kg

Gabriel Milito was born in Bernal (Buenos Aires), on September 7, 1980. He came up through the youth ranks at Independiente, making his top flight debut aged 17 with the Avellaneda based club. 'El Mariscal', as he is known, led the side’s defence despite his young age, but his promising future was almost cut short by a serious injury. He tore cruciate ligaments in his right knee in 2001 and was out for nine months. And shortly after his return, he was injured for another four months, this time with a broken meniscus in his right foot.

Once he was back to full fitness, Gaby Milito was one of the main reasons for Independiente’s Opening Championship victory in 2002. He was named Argentinian Player of the Year and in the summer of 2004 made his move to Spain.

Milito was originally headed for Real Madrid. However, before signing his contract the club’s doctors concluded that he was not fully recovered from his knee injury and warned against signing the player. Milito went instead to Zaragoza, and that season won the Copa del Rey at Montjuïc, ironically beating Real Madrid. Later that year, Zaragoza also won the Spanish Super Cup and Milito was heralded as one of the finest defenders in the league. In four years at Zaragoza, he never failed to please.

In the 2005/06 and 2006/07 season, Gaby was joined by his older brother, Diego, at La Romareda. The Milito brothers were the stars of a side that won back to back UEFA Cups.

Gaby Milito has also found his way into the Argentina national team. He made his international debut in 2000 and played at the World Cup in Germany in 2006 and in the 2007 Copa America, where he was a regular feature in Alfio Basile’s side, which reached the final.

In the 2007/008 season he became a fixture at the heart of Barça’s defence. He played in 27 League games, scoring a goal and consistently turning in fine performances. In the return leg of the Champions League semi-final in Manchester, Milito tore a ligament in his right knee which will keep him out of action for months.
(fcbarcelona.com)

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Gabriel Alejandro Milito

How long to his recovery? Puyol looks much better as a fullback recently, we`ll have to reassess our options in CD

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Re: 18 - Gabriel Alejandro Milito

Not sure where to fit him once he gets back and the young Caceres is on the margins as it. It`ll really get crowded at the back

barca7788

Nepali Cule

caceres played really well as LB so we must try to develop him as LB.sylvinho is getting older.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

In May when he got injured, they said he`ll be out for 6 months... Something clearly went wrong with his rehab

M.L. King

The Preacher

His whole career has been marked by injuries. If he had passed the medical test years ago at Madrid he would have signed for them. It looks like that he hasn't fully recovered since then. I hope this will change once fully recovered.

barSELOna

I think he can leave this summer! We have a lot of defenders now and Henrique will come next year

hendryrusli

We should keep him in my opinion. Our young players aren't mature yet so we still need his service.

barSELOna

Last year he made a lot of mistake first times everybody thought his syle looks like Puyol style we could get good defence next year if we dont sell him this summer we cant sell him to good money

M.L. King

The Preacher

We should make such decision after his recovery. Pep will make a correct decision upon his performances and then decide if he is still useful for the team. Although I think it will be hard for him to reach his top level again.

hendryrusli

To be honest I don't know why FR bought him. I don't find fast enough to catch up with agile strikers.

M.L. King

The Preacher

He was a very good player, his positioning was probably the best in the world. He is a bit slow but I've never found it a problem with him.

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo

I really hope he's fit and happy once again, he will be instrumental in 2009. Don't get rid of him.

Home of Barca Fans