Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
2.gif

Kluivert-esque header! vs Brazil 1998 ;) Also: Depay :wub: What a spectacular player!

BerkeleyBernie

Not as impressed with the Dutch. Really don't like their playing style.

They're pragmatic. They are completely capable of a tiki-taka game. In the last World Cup, they played all their qualifications open and attacking, but went all Mou defensive in the Finals against Spain.

They'll set up however they think they need to, based on the opponent.

kaisers0ze

Did u guys realize what this 5 - 3 - 2 formation did for holland in this group stage?

5 against Spain
3 against Australia
2 against Chille

I think exactly as LvG wanted.

kaisers0ze

They're pragmatic. They are completely capable of a tiki-taka game. In the last World Cup, they played all their qualifications open and attacking, but went all Mou defensive in the Finals against Spain.

Exactly. Another dimension is that this team is fairly new playing players from their home country league... You dont have a full season to get them adjusted to each-other and play attractive tiki taka. Just these 3 - 4 weeks which you should make the best of.

PaulFCB

Banned
Kluivert-esque header! vs Brazil 1998 ;) Also: Depay :wub: What a spectacular player!

I remember that goal without ever re-watching it on YouTube or anywhere else.
Too bad they VdS didn't save any penalties, they should've won that WC with Dennis GOAT :lucho:.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Not as impressed with the Dutch. Really don't like their playing style.

To a certain degree I actually am impressed. But still, my heart says it just isn't the way we play football. All in all, I can understand LvG's choices with this group. Just a very few actually good players and a bunch of talents behind that should do good in 2016 or 2018. Pragmatism all the way, and I hope it gets us far.

But yeah, I hope we revert back to classic Dutch 433 which gave the world great football.

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism

That's the way to be

BerkeleyBernie

That's the way to be

Especially in a knockout tourney. If Spain were to play in a league composed of all the WC finalists in a 62 game season, I suspect they would still emerge in the top 4, working out any kinks and rotating in the younger players (and of course, Casillas to the bench). But no such luxury here, mistakes are deadly.

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
If we played 4-3-3 against Chile and/or Spain we probably would've lost. We're not capable of building up from the back the way we used to. Our only chance of winning is playing the way we do now: pragmatic rather than beautiful. Of course I'd prefer us playing in a more beautiful way, but I'd always choose winning over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans