After signing ter Stegen, would you sign another GK, or trust Masip as 2nd gk?

What would you do?

• Total voters
F

Flavia

MAtS here, but his role is stil a bit unclear, as rumors of Navas and Caballero are still strong.
Masip also will be promoted, and he is a very good gk, albeit short(1.80m).

So, what would you do?

Chainsaw

Killahead
Masip also will be promoted, and he is a very good gk, albeit short(1.80m).

I'm 1.82 and I feel offended!

Hard question. I rather get a good back up for MatS. I love to have Willy, but I think he's too good to be a back-up. Not sure he even accept the role. I will take Julio Cesar. Even if he could be around for only two years. Then Masip could take his role as the second GK.

ebieymjunior

I'm 1.82 and I feel offended!

Hard question. I rather get a good back up for MatS. I love to have Willy, but I think he's too good to be a back-up. Not sure he even accept the role. I will take Julio Cesar. Even if he could be around for only two years. Then Masip could take his role as the second GK.

Fabrice Ondoa is a gook keeper, should be promoted to Barca B, and would also be a wonderful backup keeper.
I think then (in some years time) MAtS, Masip and Ondoa would be good, so yes, I think getting one really good backup is a better idea. Was just a little worried by what happened to Oier (0 minutes), then I remembered that it's not Tata, but Enrique coaching.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Mats is still a gamble. 2 quality goalkeepers worked for Real, so why not for us? I'd like to see Reina back, he's a likable character and is still alright + I have no doubt he'd up his game once he'd return to his home club.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Primarily, I'd trust Masip as 2nd GK. We may have our doubts on Masip for now but he's sure as hell better than Pinto was and doesn't need to be focused on.

You have to remember that guys like Navas and Caballero play for defensive teams in Levante/Malaga. Being a GK behind a high line in a passing system like Barca's is different from having a wall of CB's right in front of you. They rarely move around or out of the 6 yard box, don't often face breakaway situations, and would need to be focused on for adaptation.

Also, we need to be confident on MAtS from the start. Better to focus on him and work with him as much as we can than spend all our time planning for any bad hypotheticals and whatnot. It's better to focus and develop our plan A to full potential than waste time on plans B and C. MAtS is the exact profile of a GK we're looking for in terms of style: He has height, claims crosses, organizes defenders, played in Buli against numerous quick counterattacks, and is great in a passing game. Nurturing that will keep us in aces with our GK situation.

That's why Masip is the perfect backup. He knows the system and fits the system so we can spend more time focusing on MAtS and other areas than vetting/prepping a bench player. He's a quality shot stopper and not crazy enough to dribble out to midfield.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
I'd take Caballero. Keylor is too young and too good to be MAtS' backup and would probably mean too much competition. Supposing that MAtS should be focused on as our long-term #1, Keylor would either get a role he doesn't deserve or would hinder MAtS development by taking too much playing time from him. Caballero is at a good age, he can compete with MAtS and Masip for one or two seasons until they're 100% ready, but is too old to pose a long-term threat and hinder their development. But then he's probably too expensive. I'd have no problem in trusting Masip either, as has been said he's better than Pinto.

Last edited:

ebieymjunior

Mats is still a gamble. 2 quality goalkeepers worked for Real, so why not for us? I'd like to see Reina back, he's a likable character and is still alright + I have no doubt he'd up his game once he'd return to his home club.

Apparently the club already told him they'd first look at keepers in La Liga clubs (don't know if that's truly the case). I prefer Navas any way. Remember how the whole team just couldn't score against Levante when he was playing and then the game when the other keeper played, we (I think Tello) scored a couple?

ebieymjunior

I'd take Caballero. Keylor is too young and too be MAtS' backup. Supposing that MAtS is our long-term #1, Keylor would either get a role he doesn't really deserve, or would hinder MAtS development a bit by taking too much playing time from him. Caballero is at a good age, he can compete with MAtS and Masip for a couple of seasons and then let both take over as nailed-on #1 and #2 respectively.

I just don't want to play agains Navas too much :messi:
He is really too good!

F

Flavia

Primarily, I'd trust Masip as 2nd GK. We may have our doubts on Masip for now but he's sure as hell better than Pinto was and doesn't need to be focused on.

You have to remember that guys like Navas and Caballero play for defensive teams in Levante/Malaga. Being a GK behind a high line in a passing system like Barca's is different from having a wall of CB's right in front of you. They rarely move around or out of the 6 yard box, don't often face breakaway situations, and would need to be focused on for adaptation.

Also, we need to be confident on MAtS from the start. Better to focus on him and work with him as much as we can than spend all our time planning for any bad hypotheticals and whatnot. It's better to focus and develop our plan A to full potential than waste time on plans B and C. MAtS is the exact profile of a GK we're looking for in terms of style: He has height, claims crosses, organizes defenders, played in Buli against numerous quick counterattacks, and is great in a passing game. Nurturing that will keep us in aces with our GK situation.

That's why Masip is the perfect backup. He knows the system and fits the system so we can spend more time focusing on MAtS and other areas than vetting/prepping a bench player. He's a quality shot stopper and not crazy enough to dribble out to midfield.

I'm all for backing MAtS from the starter, but I think it's too much of a gamble to have 2 inexperienced keepers. A solid experienced backup would be best.

zanela

I just don't want to play agains Navas too much :messi:
He is really too good!

I don't want to diss Keylor but he let in 7 goals against Barca early season. :p

Keylor credits his form to his Gk'in coach Llopis, who's been acknowledged in the Spanish press as well. Keylor's biggest strength is his agility (which I must say is off the charts), but his main weakness is defending crosses/corners. I doubt many here knew that.

While we're still with him. Here is one masterful video on Primera's best gk this season.

Last edited:
L

linetty

Yup, and who will pay his crazy wages?

Home of Barca Fans