User Tag List

View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign Keylor Navas

    14 21.54%
  • Sign Willy Caballero

    24 36.92%
  • Trust Masip

    22 33.85%
  • Something else

    5 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: After signing ter Stegen, would you sign another GK, or trust Masip as 2nd gk?

  1. #1
    Flavia
    Guest

    After signing ter Stegen, would you sign another GK, or trust Masip as 2nd gk?

    MAtS here, but his role is stil a bit unclear, as rumors of Navas and Caballero are still strong.
    Masip also will be promoted, and he is a very good gk, albeit short(1.80m).

    So, what would you do?

  2. #2
    President of FC Barcelona
    DonAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    23,364
    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not so sure.
    Just get a better midfield

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
    Im not so sure.
    Neither am I, Masip is really good with his feet, not sure about the two others really. I don't want another Pinto-like dribbling keeper.

  4. #4
    Killahead
    Razor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavia View Post
    Masip also will be promoted, and he is a very good gk, albeit short(1.80m).
    I'm 1.82 and I feel offended!

    Hard question. I rather get a good back up for MatS. I love to have Willy, but I think he's too good to be a back-up. Not sure he even accept the role. I will take Julio Cesar. Even if he could be around for only two years. Then Masip could take his role as the second GK.
    There is a beast in man that should be exercised, not exorcised!

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I'm 1.82 and I feel offended!

    Hard question. I rather get a good back up for MatS. I love to have Willy, but I think he's too good to be a back-up. Not sure he even accept the role. I will take Julio Cesar. Even if he could be around for only two years. Then Masip could take his role as the second GK.
    Fabrice Ondoa is a gook keeper, should be promoted to Barca B, and would also be a wonderful backup keeper.
    I think then (in some years time) MAtS, Masip and Ondoa would be good, so yes, I think getting one really good backup is a better idea. Was just a little worried by what happened to Oier (0 minutes), then I remembered that it's not Tata, but Enrique coaching.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    XaviMessiGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    6,985
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #DareToMasip

  7. #7
    Barcaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold... and I don't know the names of the players.
    Posts
    26,226
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mats is still a gamble. 2 quality goalkeepers worked for Real, so why not for us? I'd like to see Reina back, he's a likable character and is still alright + I have no doubt he'd up his game once he'd return to his home club.

  8. #8
    Wild Man of Borneo
    DonAndres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    6,736
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Primarily, I'd trust Masip as 2nd GK. We may have our doubts on Masip for now but he's sure as hell better than Pinto was and doesn't need to be focused on.

    You have to remember that guys like Navas and Caballero play for defensive teams in Levante/Malaga. Being a GK behind a high line in a passing system like Barca's is different from having a wall of CB's right in front of you. They rarely move around or out of the 6 yard box, don't often face breakaway situations, and would need to be focused on for adaptation.

    Also, we need to be confident on MAtS from the start. Better to focus on him and work with him as much as we can than spend all our time planning for any bad hypotheticals and whatnot. It's better to focus and develop our plan A to full potential than waste time on plans B and C. MAtS is the exact profile of a GK we're looking for in terms of style: He has height, claims crosses, organizes defenders, played in Buli against numerous quick counterattacks, and is great in a passing game. Nurturing that will keep us in aces with our GK situation.

    That's why Masip is the perfect backup. He knows the system and fits the system so we can spend more time focusing on MAtS and other areas than vetting/prepping a bench player. He's a quality shot stopper and not crazy enough to dribble out to midfield.
    "Dani Jarque, siempre con nosotros"
    -Andres Iniesta

  9. #9
    Lemon curry?
    suckabov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,065
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd take Caballero. Keylor is too young and too good to be MAtS' backup and would probably mean too much competition. Supposing that MAtS should be focused on as our long-term #1, Keylor would either get a role he doesn't deserve or would hinder MAtS development by taking too much playing time from him. Caballero is at a good age, he can compete with MAtS and Masip for one or two seasons until they're 100% ready, but is too old to pose a long-term threat and hinder their development. But then he's probably too expensive. I'd have no problem in trusting Masip either, as has been said he's better than Pinto.
    Last edited by suckabov; 21st May 2014 at 06:25 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojan View Post
    Mats is still a gamble. 2 quality goalkeepers worked for Real, so why not for us? I'd like to see Reina back, he's a likable character and is still alright + I have no doubt he'd up his game once he'd return to his home club.
    Apparently the club already told him they'd first look at keepers in La Liga clubs (don't know if that's truly the case). I prefer Navas any way. Remember how the whole team just couldn't score against Levante when he was playing and then the game when the other keeper played, we (I think Tello) scored a couple?

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    671
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suckabov View Post
    I'd take Caballero. Keylor is too young and too be MAtS' backup. Supposing that MAtS is our long-term #1, Keylor would either get a role he doesn't really deserve, or would hinder MAtS development a bit by taking too much playing time from him. Caballero is at a good age, he can compete with MAtS and Masip for a couple of seasons and then let both take over as nailed-on #1 and #2 respectively.
    I just don't want to play agains Navas too much
    He is really too good!

  12. #12
    Flavia
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DonAndres View Post
    Primarily, I'd trust Masip as 2nd GK. We may have our doubts on Masip for now but he's sure as hell better than Pinto was and doesn't need to be focused on.

    You have to remember that guys like Navas and Caballero play for defensive teams in Levante/Malaga. Being a GK behind a high line in a passing system like Barca's is different from having a wall of CB's right in front of you. They rarely move around or out of the 6 yard box, don't often face breakaway situations, and would need to be focused on for adaptation.

    Also, we need to be confident on MAtS from the start. Better to focus on him and work with him as much as we can than spend all our time planning for any bad hypotheticals and whatnot. It's better to focus and develop our plan A to full potential than waste time on plans B and C. MAtS is the exact profile of a GK we're looking for in terms of style: He has height, claims crosses, organizes defenders, played in Buli against numerous quick counterattacks, and is great in a passing game. Nurturing that will keep us in aces with our GK situation.

    That's why Masip is the perfect backup. He knows the system and fits the system so we can spend more time focusing on MAtS and other areas than vetting/prepping a bench player. He's a quality shot stopper and not crazy enough to dribble out to midfield.
    I'm all for backing MAtS from the starter, but I think it's too much of a gamble to have 2 inexperienced keepers. A solid experienced backup would be best.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    zanela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebieymjunior View Post
    I just don't want to play agains Navas too much
    He is really too good!
    I don't want to diss Keylor but he let in 7 goals against Barca early season.

    Keylor credits his form to his Gk'in coach Llopis, who's been acknowledged in the Spanish press as well. Keylor's biggest strength is his agility (which I must say is off the charts), but his main weakness is defending crosses/corners. I doubt many here knew that.

    While we're still with him. Here is one masterful video on Primera's best gk this season.

    Last edited by zanela; 21st May 2014 at 07:27 PM.

  14. #14
    linetty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojan View Post
    Mats is still a gamble. 2 quality goalkeepers worked for Real, so why not for us? I'd like to see Reina back, he's a likable character and is still alright + I have no doubt he'd up his game once he'd return to his home club.
    Yup, and who will pay his crazy wages?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Joppe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,197
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linetty View Post
    Yup, and who will pay his crazy wages?
    Barcelona?