Camp Nou attendances

Barcadub

Watching a game on Sky Sports 3 v Osasuna in 2011.

Full stadium. The pep era. How things have changed attendance wise.

I

instinct

Good news. I don't expect the atmosphere to become better though.

Bucky

Penya Member
Go ham basically means going full out. It's a bit hard to explain if you don't play online games because as far as I know there is where the expression originated from. Also don't think he uses the term correctly but basically what's he's trying to say is that Barca fans are too spoiled to become genuinely excited or really put their heart into a match that isn't vs Real or like semi-finals of champions league and hence the lackluster atmosphere in average games.

Oh right, thanks for that. Never heard of the term and have been involved in online gaming since I was 14 =S

Cheers anyway. Urban dictionary too lol feeling old, just heard freaking Upload commentators using the term "keep it locked"... it just gets worse & worse. It's like trying to force cool phrases, just doesn't work. What next, kids at school double strapping?

In all fairness though, is this what we should just accept? That we should expect to win and therefore don't need to create a buzzing atmosphere? Chanting is a part of supporting the club, showing the team we are proud of them. If that's just dead in the water because we expect to win a match against an inferior team... well, it takes away from being a supporter and the point in going to the match. That's why it's almost spread across the World that there are too many tourists going to the match as the excuse regardless of whether they follow Barça or not.

It falls in to the attendance, is that why there are empty seats because of an expectation to win the "easy" games so they may as well save their money? Hmmm...

@pacp, they're watching :bartomeu:

Last edited:

JamDav1982

There shouldnt be too much issue with Season ticket holders not attending games as they can hand their tickets back to the club to sell them on.

I think the biggest problem is the price the club try to sell these season ticket seats for.

The best idea if you can get to a game is buy the cheap seats and just move to seats that are free in a better area. Seen people doing that at every game I have been at.

XaviMessiGirl

In all fairness though, is this what we should just accept? That we should expect to win and therefore don't need to create a buzzing atmosphere? Chanting is a part of supporting the club, showing the team we are proud of them. If that's just dead in the water because we expect to win a match against an inferior team... well, it takes away from being a supporter and the point in going to the match. That's why it's almost spread across the World that there are too many tourists going to the match as the excuse regardless of whether they follow Barça or not.

It falls in to the attendance, is that why there are empty seats because of an expectation to win the "easy" games so they may as well save their money? Hmmm...

I agree, that mentality is a bit ridiculous. Then people wonder why Barca fans have the reputation of being arrogant and entitled. And yeah, while you can support the club as an organization just by giving money to them for tickets and merchandise, what about supporting the team on the pitch? That's where chanting, cheering, singing, clapping, waving flags/banners etc comes into play. If the players think the fans are indifferent, it can potentially affect the way they play.

That being said, there still seems to be a divide over how much this is true.

CuleLife4Life

I've been to Camp Nou a couple of times when I worked in Spain and Pep was the coach. Also went to one last season which was the most boring game I've ever been too. There was a difference in attendance as well but I took in the fact that financially things aren't that great in Europe and especially Spain. People can't just splash money out for tickets anymore.

I applaud Barca for making initiatives to make prices better for people to attend.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
By the way, tickets are hardly our main source of income and the income generated should be of almost least concern. Just slash the ticket prices by half and give the fans and local people something back. We are making millions of profits...

Bucky

Penya Member
I agree, that mentality is a bit ridiculous. Then people wonder why Barca fans have the reputation of being arrogant and entitled. And yeah, while you can support the club as an organization just by giving money to them for tickets and merchandise, what about supporting the team on the pitch? That's where chanting, cheering, singing, clapping, waving flags/banners etc comes into play. If the players think the fans are indifferent, it can potentially affect the way they play.

That being said, there still seems to be a divide over how much this is true.

Spot on.

The passion of the fans fuels the players on the pitch.

Wasn't long ago when Alves was criticizing the fans. In all honesty, if that were any of us on the pitch, you'd want the fans to be 110% behind you too, it's motivating and inspiring.

moreino

I've been to Barcelona several times and I have a feeling that Catalans are not that passionate as other mediterranian nations. They are friendly but calm and quiet. Of course not every one of them. And besides, many families and older people go to games. They are not those chanting ultras. I don't know about other stadiums in Spain but I rarely see noisy games in La Liga on tv.

Bucky

Penya Member
I've been to Barcelona several times and I have a feeling that Catalans are not that passionate as other mediterranian nations. They are friendly but calm and quiet. Of course not every one of them. And besides, many families and older people go to games. They are not those chanting ultras. I don't know about other stadiums in Spain but I rarely see noisy games in La Liga on tv.

Hmmm, very interesting point.

XaviMessiGirl

True, most that I've met are fairly quiet (the place I used to go out to watch Barca matches, I was definitely the loudest one there most of the time and also one of the only non-Catalan regulars). But the away game that I went to - Milan v Barca - the fans who traveled were pretty loud at least outside the stadium before the match. So they're definitely capable of it. And you don't have to be an ultra to be loud and chant, though it helps when they are in the stadium and the majority are still banned.

JamDav1982

I dont think it is about lack of passion that there is a quiet atmosphere. It is a combination of things -

The team winning easily most matches makes for little tension.

Number of tourists at game.

Style of play - slower more precise build up less frantic moments lead you stand back and applaud rather than cheer like a maniac.

Size of stadium - its huge with no roof and atmospher can drift off into the night.

The make up of the crowd - at Barca it seems to be much more of a family affair. You see grandparents, mums, dads and children all sitting together. More of a family occasion than a lot of other grounds that will be boozed up groups of mates going together.

There is no real ultra section. Behind goals to an extent seems to be loudest area for youngsters but they dont want that dangerous gang element and have worked to get it more of a family friendly environment.

Personally I dont mind it. Its not that the fans dont care or are too arroganrt/lazy to sing most games it is just the culture and environment.

The best atmosphere I have been at was Bilbao game years ago. It was a tight game, which Barca were at full throttle and the ref gave Barca nothing. That soon shook the fans into action and the last half hour was defeaning.

serghei

The best atmosphere I have been at was Bilbao game years ago. It was a tight game, which Barca were at full throttle and the ref gave Barca nothing. That soon shook the fans into action and the last half hour was defeaning.

Was that the 2-1, with a late-ish Messi goal? After Bilbao had equilised from a penalty?

Home of Barca Fans