Camp Nou attendances

Andrew M

The attendances were not that bad last season. Much of the drama came from the Copa Del Rey attendances where games were staged at absurdly late hours.

Iron Man, the atmosphere is no poorer that Man U, Real, Bayern, Arsenal etc. Don't listen to those muppets.

People saying that there are too many tourists are wrong. Appealing to a worldwide audience is essential.

70, 000 average is not bad.

Barcadub

If season ticket holders aint going to over 70% of home matches then it should be taken off them at the end of the season.

XaviMessiGirl

The number 70,000 on its own isn't bad, especially considering so many stadiums can't even seat that many fans. However, when you think about how there could and should be even more (are there still 87,000 season ticket holders this season?) but there aren't because of non-matchgoers who won't give up their season tickets, that's still a problem.

Bucky

Penya Member
Ah that's good to hear then in response to atmosphere. It's the likes of talksport, BBC and those commentating on TV who say it's poor. In all honesty I do hear the chants on radio and am baffled when they say the fans are quiet. I only take their word for it but it's good to know they are chatting garbage. Whether their comments are drawn from not filling the stadium maybe, I don't know but it does whined me up when they say it.

Definitely agree with you that having a Worldwide audience is essential, it really is and I loathe people who turn their noses up at those who support a team just because they don't live "within 200 miles" of any given team.

Yeah, I can't see any other method of making sure season ticket holders go, i.e. miss 3 matches in a row, it's withdrawn (& partial refund), miss x amount of games in half a season and again it can be withdrawn.

They should be grateful they have a season ticket, if I could afford to go to every match I would be there in a heart beat.

XaviMessiGirl

We've talked about the stadium atmosphere before and I would agree that at least on TV it does seem dull, so I assumed it actually was. But someone mentioned once that it sounds that way on TV due to the poor stadium acoustics so the mics don't pick up the crowd noise as much as at other stadiums. I'm not sure which is true because I've only ever been to an away game, but I hear mixed things from people who have actually been there.

There are certainly plenty of people who don't participate in chants, but you can only expect so much out of a tourist or casual fan. Especially since most wouldn't know a word of Catalan so they can't really pick it up by ear either. Maybe the club should make some of the more popular chants readily available on the club website, though one could easily find them by a Google search too.

What I really wish for in terms of improving atmosphere is for Barca to do away with all the club-sponsored tifo displays, it just makes support seem so robotic. Let the fans make their own coreo.

I

instinct

The stadium atmosphere will probably become better when the renovation of the Camp Nou is finished. I don't know how it is in RL but it often sounds very disappointing to say the least.

Galning

It's average, just like the atmosphere at any top club. I can say that during big games like Madrid or the remuntada against AC Milan the atmosphere is insane. Can't expect Camp Nou to go ham over a home game against Levante or Valencia even.. the fans are too spoiled for that.

Bucky

Penya Member
Oh, something I thought about last night which popped in my head. I haven't been paying attention to my "obligatory family supported club" much but their average attendance has dropped by 10k! I don't recall the last time the stadium capacity was also sold out too. Whether it's the ticket prices (& the recession that's still effecting people?) and the performance of the club taking effect, but that is a lot not coming to matches.

Agreed about the casual fan/tourist not participating in chants.

Some may disagree but I believe that any true fan would at least make an effort to learn at least one chant regardless of language barriers. Ole le & the one where you have to jump to prove you're not a Madrid fan are simple enough :barca scarf:

Last edited:

Ocelot

The stadium atmosphere will probably become better when the renovation of the Camp Nou is finished. I don't know how it is in RL but it often sounds very disappointing to say the least.

I've been to two games vs Athletic (Pep's last year) and there was a record attendance and vs City last year and the atmosphere wasn't that great. It was far better when I saw Inter vs Milan at San Siro.

Galning

I've been to two games vs Athletic (Pep's last year) and there was a record attendance and vs City last year and the atmosphere wasn't that great.

Again, Camp Nou crowd is too spoiled to go ham over games versus Athletic and City. Only games where you can feel the excitement is for a Clasico or a CL semi. And even a CL semi can be dull if it's the first leg or already decided.

Bucky

Penya Member
Ok, maybe because it's late but I'm still struggling to understand what "too spoiled to go ham over" means?

Kerrybai

The attendances were not that bad last season. Much of the drama came from the Copa Del Rey attendances where games were staged at absurdly late hours.

Iron Man, the atmosphere is no poorer that Man U, Real, Bayern, Arsenal etc. Don't listen to those muppets.

People saying that there are too many tourists are wrong. Appealing to a worldwide audience is essential.

70, 000 average is not bad.

Mate we have 86k season ticket holders. 70k average is pretty poor when you consider how many match day tickets we sell.

Henry_IB

Banned
Ok, maybe because it's late but I'm still struggling to understand what "too spoiled to go ham over" means?

Go ham basically means going full out. It's a bit hard to explain if you don't play online games because as far as I know there is where the expression originated from. Also don't think he uses the term correctly but basically what's he's trying to say is that Barca fans are too spoiled to become genuinely excited or really put their heart into a match that isn't vs Real or like semi-finals of champions league and hence the lackluster atmosphere in average games.

BenRobbins

It is just like that around many top teams around the world. It is exactly the same in England at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Anfield, Emirates etc

The average attendance is still very good just the atmosphere tends to be a bit dull unless it is a big/important game everywhere you go. It is just how the modern day football fans are unfortunately.

Last years average attendances in europe:

1 Borussia Dortmund 80,297
2 Manchester United 75,207
3 Barcelona 71,958
4 Bayern Munich 71,000
5 Real Madrid 70,754
6 Schalke 04 61,569
7 Arsenal 59,487
8 Borussia Mönchengladbach 52,239
9 Hertha Berlin 51,889
10 Hamburger SV 51,825

Home of Barca Fans