Martino leaves Barca after one season

LMessi85

After months of speculation, Barcelona manager Gerardo Martino revealed he will leave Barcelona after just one year in charge of the Catalan club.

Speaking in a press conference after watching his side miss out on La Liga to Atletico Madrid after a 1-1 draw at Camp Nou, the Argentinian said:

"I want to confirm that I have reached an agreement to end my association with Barcelona.

"We did not achieve the objectives that this club is used to; objectives which have been hit year after year.

"We tried until the end, but met a rival better than us. I would like to congratulate Atletico Madrid on their success.

"Finally, I want to thank everyone who has been involved during my time in charge of the club - from Josep (Maria Bartomeu), Sandro (Rosell) and Zubi [Andoni Zubizarreta) to the players and all the way through to the fans.

"Thank you."

The 51-year-old former Newell's Old Boys and Paraguay manager took over at Barca last summer, replacing Tito Vilanova who was forced to step down for health reasons.

Martino's reign started very well, as he steered the club to the top of the league - they didn't taste defeat until they lost to Athletic Bilbao in December - and progressing well in both the Copa del Rey and the Champions League.

However the second half of the season has not been as successfull.

Barcelona were knocked out of Europe in the quarter-finals to Atletico and were beaten by Gareth Bale's wonder-goal in the King's Cup final in April.

Celta Vigo manager Luis Enrique is expected to be announced as his replacement within the next week.

Enrique, who played for Barca and managed the club's B team, has already confirmed that his spell in charge of the Galician club will end after just one season.

As for Martino, he is expected to become the Argentina manager after the World Cup, although interest has also been reported from La Liga side Malaga.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gerardo-martino-leaves-barcelona-after-3558485

F

Flavia

He is great person, no doubt. Really classy. Just didn't know enough to coach this team.
Wish him the best.

Antimadridista1

I really appreciated the person, sad to see him leaving.
All the bad things that happened this season are not his fault.
Good luck to him in his new adventure.

serghei

Had to go. Didn't improve the team in any way. Great character, but not the kind of coach to fix things. Not a fixer. Maybe a builder, but not a fixer.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Apparently too big of a burden for his shoulders. Can't blame him really. He didn't have enough time to adjust and learn quickly and circumstances never helped him either. Best of luck.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Good luck in your future. You were doing a decent job until half way through when you kept sticking to the same tactics even after they didn't work.

BarcaVillain

He was a stubborn idiot totally out of his depth.

I fear anyone thinking all our problems will be solved with Enrique will be due a wake up call. The problems run deeper than just the manager.

Good luck Tata, another time, another team, who knows. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him.

Fibonacci

Thank you Tata. It was one of the most difficult seasons the club has ever had, you hardly had time to adapt, and the pressure at times was disgraceful. We didn't win, but we fought nobly and though it's a trophyless season, the club has far worse ones in terms of results. Though we're not happy with the season, I'm sure most cules would join me in wishing you good luck and success in the future. You are a class act.

Home of Barca Fans