Best position for Messi

Were woud you use Messi?

• Total voters

serghei

They had 60% posession against a Romania side that gave up the ball and dropped deep largely.

Real Madrid regularly have 60% and more against teams yet their main style is to hit teams on break.

Argentina dont look to build slowly their first thought is to break as quickly as possible and they have almost two distinct groups of attacking and defensive players. Much more so than at Barca.

Argentina had > 80% of the ball against Romania. I don't remeber Real Madrid ever having that much of the ball in one game.

JamDav1982

I don't think you've seen them much then. Argentina is not a counter attacking team. They exploit the counter, how could they not with the wealth of offensive players they have, but they want to have the ball and want to pass around and make quick passing sequences.
Messi is Argentina's linchpin and conductor, by virtue of that, he gravitates the play of the team to a Barcelona style. He wants the team to have the ball. He wants to associate with Gago and di Maria in the midfield.

Obviously, they are not exactly like Barca. They don't control the ball as well because their midfield is not as dominant. They also don't press from the wings and employ long balls more than Barca.

However they do not play from the wings like Madrid but from the middle like Barca. Argentina's play is similar to a Barcelona of the first year of Pep, when tiki-taka wasn't still at its peak, and the team played much more direct.

I have seen them plenty and the majority of their good work comes when they break at pace through the four attacking players.

As I said Real Madrid have plenty of players that are good in possesion and dominate ball but their first thought is to break at pace and Messi has thrived playing like that.

Nothing like Barca for me in that the full backs are defenders first and they have two DMs that rarely look to get involved further forward. Far, far more like Real the way they approach games. In fact they may be the best intl team in the world on the break.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
They had 60% posession against a Romania side that gave up the ball and dropped deep largely.

Real Madrid regularly have 60% and more against teams yet their main style is to hit teams on break.

Argentina dont look to build slowly their first thought is to break as quickly as possible and they have almost two distinct groups of attacking and defensive players. Much more so than at Barca.

There's a difference between exploiting the counter and being a primarily counter attacking team. Argentina exploit the counter, but are also perfectly ok and capable of passing around the half court to create scoring. Messi, di Maria and Gago link up really well in the passing game.

serghei

Not from what I can see.

Quoted on sites as 60%.

You got a link to 80%?

Romanian media said it was 80, and it looked 80 on live coverage, but it may be lower. Romania played pretty good in the first half, in the second they parked the bus.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I have seen them plenty and the majority of their good work comes when they break at pace through the four attacking players.

As I said Real Madrid have plenty of players that are good in possesion and dominate ball but their first thought is to break at pace and Messi has thrived playing like that.

Nothing like Barca for me in that the full backs are defenders first and they have two DMs that rarely look to get involved further forward. Far, far more like Real the way they approach games. In fact they may be the best intl team in the world on the break.

That is incorrect. Both Argentina fullbacks Zabaleta and Rojo join the attack a lot. They also don't keep two DMs back. Mascherano is their pure DM, but they depend a lot on Gago to create offensively and link-up with Messi.

In the WC qualifiers, Fernando Gago was Messi's best passing partner and when he could not play for rest or injury, his presence was sorely missed.

That they look to exploit the counter means nothing. They have that as a weapon, but it isn't their only weapon.

JamDav1982

There's a difference between exploiting the counter and being a primarily counter attacking team. Argentina exploit the counter, but are also perfectly ok and capable of passing around the half court to create scoring. Messi, di Maria and Gago link up really well in the passing game.

Of course they can pass the ball about hence why I am saying they are like Madrid who can also pass the ball about but their first thought is to counter at pace when it is on.

Their biggest strength is countering through their four attacking players and they know it. That doesnt mean they dont look to pass the ball in final third if that is on also but by and large they will look to counter as quickly as possible and take it from there.

As Real Madrid do and not the way Barcelona approach it.

Romanian media said it was 80, and it looked 80 on live coverage, but it may be lower. Romania played pretty good in the first half, in the second they parked the bus.

Got a link? I can only see 60% quoted and certainly did not feel like 80% watching it.

serghei

I am sure I can remember their best chances in that game coming from quick breaks, would need to check again though.

They had chances from quick breaks too (first half), but their biggest ones came after long possesion-based spells in the second half.

JamDav1982

Lets wait until the world cup by I say they will destroy teams with the four attackers on the break. It seems clear watching them this is the first way they try and attack.

All will become clear in next few weeks.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Of course they can pass the ball about hence why I am saying they are like Madrid who can also pass the ball about but their first thought is to counter at pace when it is on.

Their biggest strength is countering through their four attacking players and they know it. That doesnt mean they dont look to pass the ball in final third if that is on also but by and large they will look to counter as quickly as possible and take it from there.

As Real Madrid do and not the way Barcelona approach it.

Sorry but I don't agree. The only similarity they have with Madrid is that they employ counters, but even then their counters are through the middle whereas Madrid like to counter through the wings. Argentina wants to play a more ball-possessing style than what Madrid wants to play.

JamDav1982

Sorry but I don't agree. The only similarity they have with Madrid is that they employ counters, but even then their counters are through the middle whereas Madrid like to counter through the wings. Argentina wants to play a more ball-possessing style than what Madrid wants to play.

Argentinas main strength is their four attacking players on the break. This is their first thought of how to attack when they win ball back. If it is not on clearly they can keep the ball well.

That tactics match Madrid much more than Barca.

As I said they could well be the best counter attacking intl team in the world and they know it.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
Argentinas main strength is their four attacking players on the break. This is their first thought of how to attack when they win ball back. If it is not on clearly they can keep the ball well.

That tactics match Madrid much more than Barca.

As I said they could well be the best counter attacking intl team in the world and they know it.

The difference is while Argentina have a devastating counter it isn't they're only or primary weapon, they actually want to possess the ball and play the pass, as opposed to Madrid who want to counter above all else.

Argentina obviously does not have the midfield to possess and pass around the ball like Barcelona, but they want to play this way.

Home of Barca Fans