Dilemma

Should we throw the game?

• Total voters

Lomar1o

if by the time we play them it would mathematically be impossible for us to clinch the league, then why should we even start with main 11, risking players like messi or iniesta for nothing when there's WC coming up?

V

voodoomaster

I cant believe someone is actually asking this question! Not helping atletico if we cant win the league? That would be disrespectfull and dishonest concidering our history and the fact that real is destroying this sport. Help pepe, coentrao, ronaldo, and ramos lifting the trophy...you must be joking. I expect us to loose, I demand it. Adama, oier, affelay, cuenca....players like that can start. Not a dilemma at all.

I

instinct

nope. when there's nothing to fight for we can actually field 11 b players like we did against bayern in a friendly

They would be more ambitious to win than our first team players are, that's for sure.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
It'd be far more disgusting to help rm win a treble.

I would hate RM to win the treble as much as any other, but that is not a excuse not to take it like a man... Consider that we built this team on the foundation of positive values, we prided ourselves on being the good guys and we even gloated about it... We ridiculed RM for being thugs and sore losers, we called them pathetic for trying to bring us down at all costs, but now that the tables have turned people just want to ignore all that?

It seems hypocritical to me, and even worse, that might show that all we preached about was a facade... It's easy to take the high road when you are on top, but real people do it when they are down... We acted high and mighty back then, so I don't see why we can't act like that right now... To me losing those values is even worse than losing any trophy...

Indirectly, we would be giving RM more ammo to attack us, we have been accused by them to wear masks of false humility, so in a way we would be proving them right... I rather let them know, even if they don't admit it, that their La Liga title is forever indebted to us...

And even if we decide to throw the game away, why should the B team take that responsibility? The first team is the one responsible for the bad results, so they should be the ones humilliating themselves, the B team shouldn't be there to mop the problems of others... That's the problem with the club right now, nobody owns up to their mistakes and is always looking for others to either take the blame or solve their problems for them...

F

Flavia

I don't care a tiny bit what rm thinks, honestly. And you can be sure they wouldn't help Barça either. On the contrary, they've done all they can to always hurt Barça. In the pitch I don't want our players to kick or bite rm players, but putting an effort for nothing, that can end up giving them a treble? No thank you.

khorne

@evilhita666 very well said, my sentiment exactly. And fortunately, the sentiment of our players as well. I have complete faith in their sportsmanship.

In every sports competition, professional or amateur, the core principle is: everyone gives his best and tries to reach his full potential. What makes sports so great is the principle that you are rewarded objectively based on your own merit. It's not like in politics, economy or social life where you can cheat or lie or use connections to shortcut your way to success. In sports, the answer is always on the pitch, in the ring, etc. You train hard, you give your best and then you have a result. You may win or lose, but there are no excuses or self denial about it. You face reality head on, and that's why you never feel more alive then during a competion. That's all what makes sports such a wonderful thing.

To throw the game and break that ethical code just to deny another team their success is the antithesis of any sports. it is what weak people do, who are too cowardly to face reality and accept that others have been better, rather than look at themselves and the reasons of their failing.

to anyone who would rather have our players not acting like sportsman of honor and integrity and giving their best even in "pointless" games (which is by the way the hallmark of champions) than watching our rivals get their objectively deserved reward, in my opinion, you may be fans of many things, chiefly among them hating real madrid, but you are not fans of the futbol club barcelona and the principles it stands for.

Cule4life

The Culest
Some people just dont realize that Madrid-Barca is not a normal rivalry. They are mortal enemies. I suggest you read up on more history before blowing the trumpet of sportsmanship.

What are these principles some cules are beating their chest about?(Just like EPL pundits keep beating their chests about the "best league in the world"). We have discarded many of these principles and are now just another big club

--> The association with Qatar
--> Our former president resigned after facing corruption charges
-->Pay insane salaries to players and 40mn to Neymar Senior
-->Players like Tello disrespecting our manager.

One of our principles of being "mes que un club" is to represent Catalan nationalism and interests. And yes Catalan nationalism dictates you dont hand a title to Madrid. So you might say that we are actually respecting club history by preventing Madrid from winning the treble.

So its fine if you want sportsmanship to prevail but get off your high horse and dont expect others to do the same...

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
So the arguments for throwing the game basically consist of the following:

a) "get off your high horse" (for all intents and purposes ad hominem... oh look at me I'm so fancy I know)
b) "no man, you don't get it, you just don't don't, you gotta really not like them and then it's ok because you just really don't like them so it's fine"
c) "oh, well, other people do bad things and we've done bad things so whatever we might as well do bad things always now since we've started"

Cule4life

The Culest
So the argument for handing Madrid the title

a) Its sportsmanship. Taunts from rival fans thanking you for handing them a possible treble dont matter as long as you gave it your all
b) Hating your rival in the most intense sporting and political rivalry in the world is childish
c) "mes que un club" and beats chest on which ironically there is a barca jersey with qatar on it

As i said people advocating for sportsmanship is fine. But dismissing other opinions as being childish is itself childish....

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Taunts from rival fans thanking you for handing them a possible treble dont matter

Yes, I don't let stupid chants get to me. If your kid comes home and goes, "Daddy, Johnny called me a loser," would you reply to him, "Oh, punch him in the face then, everyone will be fine with it as long as you tell them you really don't like Johnny"

Hating your rival in the most intense sporting and political rivalry in the world is childish

There's a difference between disliking/hating/whatever Real Madrid and being unsportsmanlike (which is probably the biggest reason we hate on Real, btw) just because you can't ignore people going "ha ha we won a trophy that you didn't ha ha"

"mes que un club" and beats chest on which ironically there is a barca jersey with qatar on it

Not sure what you mean by the whole "beats chest on" thing, but yes, if our club's philosophy is to be sportsmanlike and you support our club then how could you possibly support throwing a game? And like I said before, just because we have a dubious at best sponsor, doesn't mean we should just go, "ah fuck it let's just all play like Pepe," one bad act doesn't condemn you to be a murderer for life, so no that's not a reason for our players (who btw have nothing to do with our sponsor) to throw the game.

footyfan

Calma, calma
If only Barcelona had thrown the first Atleti game or paid Levante to throw the weekend game vs Atleti, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I guess the players and club don't hate Madrid enough and don't realise that they are mortal enemies...

Cule4life

The Culest
If your kid comes home and goes, "Daddy, Johnny called me a loser," would you reply to him, "Oh, punch him in the face then, everyone will be fine with it as long as you tell them you really don't like Johnny".

Yeah but you wouldnt ask your son who is the class topper to help Johnny (his bully) out with his studies and Johnny would wind up getting 1st position(or something like getting the last scholarship position in a big university etc) at your sons expense.....

Plus there are many many reasons to hate Madrid beside fan taunts. I wont bother listing them out here.

Just saying with all the shit happening at Barca we have lost the moral high ground over others to proclaim "mes que un club" over them

Again this discussion is pointless btw. As i said both sides have their merit. You hope Barca plays well, i hope Barca throws the game. Case closed form my side

Home of Barca Fans