John Stones

JamDav1982

Stones forced his way in front of better CBs than Jonny Evans. Pique didn't. It's all academic now, the point is to write off someone so young when they've got potential is stupid, especially after a season in a Martinez side (good luck Belgium).

By the time Pique left Man Utd he had played more games than Evans did so not sure how Evans was on front of him.

The other difference is that ball playing CBs to taking the extreme risks that Pique does were not in fashion at the time and any slight error at an early age was not tolerated the way it is with Stones.

I like Stones as a player but he is in a whole different set of cicumstances to what Pique was.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

Pique was a calamity for United when he was given chances. He was fourth choice behind Jonny Evans and Ferguson didn't even want him.

Old Red nose was not the great manager many portrayed him to be. His 2 cl wins were lucky even flukes and guys like Pique and Forlan blossomed when they left Utd.

Falcao

Old Red nose was not the great manager many portrayed him to be. His 2 cl wins were lucky even flukes and guys like Pique and Forlan blossomed when they left Utd.

United were the best team on the continent in 1999 and 2008. But yes even then you need a little bit of luck in cup competitions, just look at what the scandal of Stamford Bridge or Leo Messi did for Guardiola in the CL.

Last edited:

oggydude

Any team that wins the league with the CL always deserve the CL, only when teams win the CL without the league can you argue that they may not be the best in CL.

Adversus

For just £32m clearly indicates that you thought it a bargain.
Hindsight is 20/20. We'll see about Stones - great talent no doubt, but considering how error prone his last season was, I can't shake the feeling that nationality and media hype has inflated his price beyond reason.

He actually wasn't that error prone and I'm an Everton fan.

Trickykid

He actually wasn't that error prone and I'm an Everton fan.

I only started watching him last season because of the hype surrounding him, and I thought he was awfully error prone - easily the worst amongst the young CB stars out there.
Apparently he was better during the 13/14 season where he blew up, but I can't comment on that because I barely watched him there.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Boateng certainly improved under Pep too. Was quite error prone as well, or at least that's the impression I got from the Bayern fans I know.

So Stones better work his ass off and turn his weaknesses to his strengths. Like Pique in that video.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I mean...City put Boateng at fullback. So it's not a surprise that he developed when he was given playing time at his actual position.

Zincubus

Banned
Boateng certainly improved under Pep too. Was quite error prone as well, or at least that's the impression I got from the Bayern fans I know.

So Stones better work his ass off and turn his weaknesses to his strengths. Like Pique in that video.

Stones is already looking great under Pep as most expected . He's had to play in a different defensive unit for each of the games he's played as well . He's also partnered a couple of fullbacks playing out of position at CB and still looks excellent .

Forget last season , he was playing in a lousy team and was always being put under pressure by the imcompetence of others .

Boateng was already one of the best CB's in the World & a CL winning CB before Pep's arrival.

Home of Barca Fans